• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction Do you ever stop missing drugs when you quit them? (or ways to stop missing them...)

Mycophile

Bluelighter
So I will often use different drugs for periods of time and get really really into them and then will start to get side effects or withdrawal or they'll start interfering with my life too much and I'll stop for a good long while, but then I'll eventually go back to them or switch to another drug, and honestly I'd prefer to never feel I REALLY strongly desire ANY drug to the point that it bothers me. I mean I'd rather honestly not necessarily want to get high on anything at all but still have the option to choose so if I want to.

I'm generally in the mindset that I want to use fewer substances, but I haven't gotten there yet, though I don't want to quit ALL drugs.

I'm about to quit Dexadrine and already I feel like I'm going to miss it, and it's the one drug I like that I won't have access to unless I go to get it from a doctor (which isn't really that hard so I guess you could say I will probably still have access), but I generally feel like it's easiest for me to resist using a drug or be less bothered by not using it if I tell myself that I CAN use it again someday, or at least MAYBE I can use it again someday, but just NOT RIGHT NOW.

Like, the only drug I totally loved that now I just sort of don't love anywhere near as much as I used to but which I used to think about constantly if I wasn't using it was weed.

I made myself take a 412 day break about 15 years ago after graduating college, and then eventually a 988 day break, and the way I got through it was every time I wanted to smoke I'd tell myself "Listen you CAN SMOKE AGAIN SOMEDAY, JUST NOT TODAY", and by doing that I was able to be ok with delaying gratification for over 2 years at one point, and now many years later for some reason I don't really love weed so much like I used to or think about it much, but I have very strong cravings for stimulants like Dexadrine/Adderall/Vyvanse, Kratom and alcohol.

I went almost a year without Kratom and another time 6 months and I did it the same way: telling myself I could do it again someday but not today.

So now I am about to do it with Dexadrine which I have had a prescription for for a year now, and while I'm legitimately allowed to have it for ADD, it's become a real problem and I use it for depression but it just makes things worse and it's taken me a whole year to finally realize I had to tell my psychiatrist not to give it to me anymore.

Now I am almost out and just finishing up what I have over the next few days and I'm hoping that I am able to get over thinking about it so much after not so long.

Again, the fact that I don't actually know a dealer who sells it, while every other drug I like I can get easily, actually makes me feel like this might be harder because anytime I try to tell myself my mantra of "you can use it again SOMEDAY, but just not TODAY", is harder to buy because in order to use it again someday I have to either ask a doctor for another script again, which I don't want to do and which commits me to picking it up monthly and I don't like to make that kind of negative commitment with drugs I have problems with, or else I have to find a dealer or sells Dexadrine/Adderall.

I guess it's probably ok to say that I do wish I knew someone who sold Dex/Adderall so that Id' know the option is there without having to ask a doctor for it, and I know that would make it psychologically easier.

Like, one of the other ways it has become easier for me to to avoid using certain drugs I've had problems with too much is if I REALLY feel I just can't resist it anymore, buy JUST A LITTLE BIT of whatever drug it is, like I've done this with both weed and Kratom, then either use it all and not buy more, or even just use some of it and then throw the rest out and get right back on the wagon. That has worked for me many times with drugs because I don't do moderation very well, but it's not exactly your normal kind of moderation when you buy a little and use it all or throw it out, at least not in the same way as using something in moderation for long periods of time.

It's more like "taking a drug break" where there's a clear beginning and a clear end point by which I say I have to stop, and it has to be like no longer than a month or less and then I can't do it again for quite a while.

So....yeah.....this was kind of long and rambling, but again, I can't do that with Dexadrine/Adderall as I know no one who sells it, so if the craving gets bad I can't just buy a few pills and enjoy them over a weekend and stop again like has worked with other drugs, and having to pick it up every month is a recipe for over using it so I can't.

So...how do you guys stop yourselves from thinking too much about drugs you have quit or at least temporarily quit and how do you deal with the cravings and not give in or feel like they are really driving you crazy??

Do you just keep busy?

Do you agree that the longer you go the less you think about it?

I mean, that tends to be true for me, but I have still gone a year without Kratom and went back to it cause I was craving it, and the reality is that for some people who quit certain drugs or alcohol the cravings might never COMPLETELY 100% go away.

What do you guys think helps with not obsessing over drugs you have quit or even just taken a long break from?

Finding meaning or joy in other things helps. Keeping busy, exercise does too. So do vacations. What are your hobbies/passions?

To answer your question, yes. I don't think I'll ever stop missing loved ones, or beautiful moments in my life from the past. But I have no regrets of quitting and leaving behind heroin, and bupe, and what not. You can adjust and live a healthy happy life without drugs. I didn't drink for an entire year to kind of demonstrate this to my best friend and he still gave up on life and drank himself to death. Not everyone makes it, it takes determination.

yes. but for me it took rehab, an intensive program for 6 months when i got out of rehab. i haven't had a craving in a long while but i expect they'll come back at some point. then go again if i don't use on them. that's the nature of addiction. cos i've been addicted to such a variety of drugs, i have decided the safest bet for me is complete abstinence from all drugs, i haven't succeeded 100% since i left rehab but mostly it seems to be working.

at the start keeping busy definitely helped, i also had a lot of times where i was quite knuckling it pure and simple. being away from where i was using at my parents house helped. i wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes at my old place.

for me to be able to let go, i needed the consequences to get really bad. that might be the same for you, in which case it'll be a hell ride. if you want to stop now then get help to try to stop now, even if you don't 'need' to, cos generally addictive thinking and behaviour gets worse over time.