View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT Carbon base vs salt base

el-sec[303]

Greenlighter
Which do you prefer, what's the script with the salt base? I've only ever smoked it?

I dunno what you mean? Those aren't the terms by which it goes. There is DMT base (also known as freebase DMT or simply DMT) this is the easily vaporizable form, the smokeable form, the non water soluble, non injectable and non sniffable form.

Then there is DMT salts. These include things like DMT fumarate (snortable), DMT hydrochloride (injectable, I believe snortable to an extent perhaps equal to fumarate)

Depending on the molecular weight of the salted base (fumarate, hydrochloride, etc) this will influence the dosage as it will make an equipotent amount weigh differently (with the dmt freebase, aka the unsalted form being the most potent mg-to-mg)

Hope this clears things up. If your dealer/vendor is calling it these things, then perhaps it would be good to ask them to further clarify.

The only "Carbon base" I can think of is things like fumarate, acetate, etc. But that is hardly carbon, there is an oxygen too as it is a carboxylic acid(I think)

The only "Carbon base" I can think of is things like fumarate, acetate, etc. But that is hardly carbon, there is an oxygen too as it is a carboxylic acid(I think)

Yeah you call that organic (well unless with exceptions like an inorganic carbonate salt / complex)...

Carbon base is rather a phrase like "carbon based lifeforms" (good album by the way), which just means that the key element in the organic tissues is carbon rather than say silicium, although there don't really seem to be other good candidates and even silicium has a lot of limitation compared to carbon. Life on earth is carbon based.

All of this is making it even more complicated though...

They are just called freebase or salt form, the types DMT and other alkaloids come in.

As said, freebase DMT is commonly found as it vaporizes (smokes) well.

There is nothing to 'prefer': depending on how you want to take your DMT or store your DMT one form or another is just objectively more ideal. It is not a subjective preference, and the effects are not different.

Freebase DMT is good for vaping / smoking, but not useful for other routes of administration and it is less stable.
DMT salts (some even more than others) are more stable. For injecting you need a salt, for plugging or snorting you want a salt which will burn less and absorb better. For oral use you want a salt like the phosphate, however ingesting the freebase will automatically make it turn into the hydrochloride salt in your stomach because of stomach acid.

(free)base + acid --> makes a salt
There are many different salts possible of DMT because there are so many different acids you could use to convert your freebase into salt.

An acid readily donates a proton
A base readily accepts a proton

When an acid and a base react, they neutralize forming a salt.

A "free base" is a deprotonated amine.

When an acid and a base react they form a neutral salt (as well as H20)

The acid used determines the salt form produced in the acid/base neutralization.

So if HCL is used the hydrochloride salt is produced, if H2SO4 is used the sulfate salt is produced, if acetic acid is used the acetate is produced, and so on...

With N,N-Dimethyltryptamine, the free base is appropriate for vaporization/smoking. The free base is not water soluble.

DMT salts are water soluble. The salts of DMT are not appropriate for smoking/vaporization. The fumarate salt of DMT was the salt form of DMT administered by injection during Dr. Strassman's DMT research.

When in the plant, the DMT is in its oxalate or tannate salt form. During the extraction process a base is used to convert these salts into free base DMT.