• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Disclosing mental illnesses to universities

Green_Person

Greenlighter
I know they aren't supposed to discriminate against students with mental illnesses, but in reality would it put admissions tutors off?

tell them after you are accepted!

thats what i did, i got in, then went to the disabilities center and got myself registered, i'm not sure how they feel about accepting people with mental illness but i can't say its gonna do much good during admissions, although in a perfect world it should have no effect whatsoever.

I've been to three universities, and all have been extremely supportive regarding mental illness. But why would you be disclosing it before applying anyway? There's no reason for them to ask, and you don't have to tell :)

There was recently a lawsuit against GWU because a student checked himself into the hospital there because he was feeling suicidal, and then the school kicked him out for "violating student conduct."

Anyway that's kind of off-topic. I would not advise that you indicate you have a mental illness on the application, if that's what you mean.

No ask no tell. Wait till after you are accepted.

Unless you can use it to your advantage on your essay for applying if you even have one. People that overcome hardships look better when applying.

sushii said:
I've been to three universities, and all have been extremely supportive regarding mental illness. But why would you be disclosing it before applying anyway? There's no reason for them to ask, and you don't have to tell :)
Pretty much my feeling on the subject. I've told most of my professors about my mental illness situation because I've been having a rough few years, on and off meds, all that jazz, and it's been totally fine. Some teachers were kind of hardasses about it, but you can't expect people to give you a free pass. I'd recommend telling as few people about it as possible though - there's still enough of a stigma attached that it can make things weird. That being said, I've told almost all of my professors (especially those of smaller classes) on the first day of class what my situation is. That way if I end up having some kind of mental disaster, they'll be prepared to deal with it. Definitely don't go up to your teachers at the end of the semester with none of your work turned in and blame it on your problems...

Personally, I don't disclose any information to the university about my mental health condition, on account that the tremendous stigma attached to my condition may prove to be highly detrimental. Overall, I wish to avoid people wrongfully viewing me as an unstable liability because of my Bipolar 1 disorder. However, that being said, one professor is aware of my condition and has been extremely supportive and was tremendously understanding regarding stigma.