• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Diminished euphoria from opiates

Survival0200

Bluelighter
I used to love codeine when I was younger. I could get a nice high from a dose of 100 mg, and really high with 200 mg.

After some years I started taking clozapine and citalopram.

Today, when I take the same kind of doses of codeine, it really doesn't work that well. I get some effects for an hour and so, but not the same kind of glow as before.

I wonder if my medication has some kind of effect on getting diminished euphoria from opiates?

I understand clozapine is a dopamine antagonist - could it play a role here? Do you think antipsychotics generally diminish the euphoria from opiates?

Also, I think citalopram is a mild CYP2D6 inhibitor, and codeine needs this enzyme for the demethylation to morphine.

I doubt that would cause this interaction. Even with very infrequent use--one does build tolerance just more slowly.

However in my opinion--whatever medication you are taking might affect your digestive system. That could delay or weaken the opioid effects I suppose. Sometimes the buzz just doesn't hit as hard without rhyme or reason. Opioids act on a very complex mechanism of action. They're not always going to work like a charm. The metabolism has to be in good working order.

But either way opiates have diminished euphoria in time anyway. Man what a terrible realization when a blue M30 glorious oxycodone felt like a joint. The effects were so mild by then.. then again I ate them daily. All opiates suck in the end. What a bunch of evil douche substances.