• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Different levels of fenta overdosing and how to prevent them

Bury The Light

Greenlighter
Hi. This is my first post on this forum so hello everyone:)I hope I did everything right if it comes to new thread.

So, the thing is, I use fentanyl in the form of transdermal patches from time to time since probably 7 years. It is that dangerously insidious and malicious substance, that - even if I extacly know the dose taken to the microgram, but this dose is large - it can still surprise me with mild overdosing effect. And if I'm in some dark times of my life and my cravings are insatiated for a long time, I can overdose much more seriously. But... it never ceases to amaze me, how hard it is to really reach the point of no return. It's not like good old prohibition tells us - that you overdose on fentanyl just a little, a tiniest margin possible, and you're dead.

That said, it still took me probably three to four years to learn how to dose fentanyl in somehow reasonable way, and I still sometimes overdo it or underdose it. The border between this two is incredibly thin, sometimes even seems fluid, because all depends on your actual tolerance, other medication taken or even S&S! For real - it's much easier to overdose on the same dose at home (where you feel safe) than in the middle of the city.

Also I find it as a very interesting topic. And maybe you can give me some advice on how to prevent these overdoses. But it's really hard thing to do, when you take into consideration, that I have rather low opiate tolerance on a daily basis (240-750mg of codeine - only that I take it not to be high, but to be able to survive) and only one or two times a month I'm taking this trip to the gates of heaven, or maybe hell, with a beautiful slice of fentanyl in my cupboard. On that low tolerance it gives me some of the best highs of my life (better than morphine, oxycodone, heroine, hydromorphone even) and to be completely honest - I'm not going to resign it any time soon. Just from time to time, it becomes all I want. Nothing acts better for me.

I'm a fairly experienced opioid user for at least 8 years so I don't do any unnecessary stalking and usually take it in the form of injection. Paradoxically, it's probably a bit safer for me than P.O./S.L., because the body's response is immediate, plus it gives me exactly what I want, and the P.O./S.L. can't give me that, so sometimes I can loose all my inhibitions trying to reach that state that is impossible to reach without injecting - so I sometimes become irritated and throw more and more, mindlessly, endlessly and without reason...

And even if I truly believe that fentanyl is one of the most dangerous substances on the globe and I urge you to be careful and best decision you can make if it comes to it, is to not touch it... but sometimes opioidophobia about it seems a bit exaggerated. So - the degrees of overdoses, there are several - I'll list them at the bottom.

Stage 1 - an overdose that is not life-threatening and never leads to unconsciousness

When it appears?:
It most often appears when your dosage is 10-20% higher, than safe dose. But actually it can always occur with a fairly high dose, even if you have a tolerance for it and have taken extacly the same amount before and nothing bad happens. You must operate on doses almost too small, if you want to completely avoid it. For me, on average tolerance for opioids, described state can appear with 500-900mcg IV or 1.5mg-2.5mg when sublingual route of administration.

Symptoms:
vomitting, very constricted pupils, eyes closing without your will, momentary dozing off for a couple of seconds, extreme nausea (I swear it's VERY unpleasant!), slowed breathing

What to do?:
That type of overdosing most often just needs to be with a person and wait an hour or a few until this state passes. Of course, it is always a good idea to call for medical help, but it is not necessary if the person is breathing normally, is not unconscious and is able to communicate. It is also very important to stop contact with the factor causing this condition before it gets worse (e.g. if it is through a patch, it should be peeled off the skin / removed from the mouth immediately)

Stage 2 - potentially life-threatening overdose with transient (lasting anywhere from a few moments to an hour) unconsciousness

When it appears?:
If your dose is approximately 40-100% higher, than your regular dose. When experiencing that stage, you probably should know in advance that you are taking A LITTLE BIT too much. For me it appears between 950mcg-2,5mg and it only appears when IV - this is probably related to the pharmacokinetics of this route of administration. With sublingual patches, if you do fall asleep on them it's usually for very long hours, because the active substance, e.g. from transdermal/buccal administration, is still released when you are asleep.

Symptoms:
a sudden loss of consciousness appearing usually within one to five minutes after the injection, lasting for not very long and during which the person is still breathing and heart is beating. After regaining consciousness you usually don't lose it again, as long as you are not taking any more sedative medications. You can be very surprised, scared and very angry with yourself any time this happened, and it's proper reaction. But also from time to time when you were unconscious you might have dreams, very vivid and beautiful or horryfying. I've had dreams like this a few times in my life and they were the most beautiful dreams I've ever had, even though they were very scary at times - but I don't regret them anyway. It may resemble some of psychedelics visuals (although I never use any of them, it just seems so) - it can be very mystical or eerie. It can also be extremely terryfying.

What to do?:
I imagine it must be really scary to find someone like that. If the person is unconscious but breathing, you should call an ambulance and remind them to take naloxone with them (unless you have naloxone yourself). No one has ever called an ambulance to me and nothing happened to me during these fairly short-lived overdoses. But I can't guarantee that it will be like this in all cases, somebody can certainly choke on vomit or lose feeling in your limbs from a strange position in which he lie. Place the person in need of assistance in a safe position and monitor their vital signs until the ambulance arrives. Although FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE (I don't encourage anyone to such reckless behavior) it is enough to sit over such a person, controlling vital signs. As long as breathing is at least few times a minute, there shouldn't be direct threat on life. But I can not give such a guarantee to anyone...

Stage 3 - an overdose which is an imminent threat to life

When it appears?:
Usually only when you ask for it, or if you really messed up your dosage, or you take some street shit of unknown quality. It is not that easy to take more than twice the normal dose. You have to be in completely mindless and reckless state of mind. This type of overdose has happened to me maybe a few times, three at most. It fortunately never happened to me with IV route, only with sublingual and then then the dosage was just one whole slice of biggest fentanyl patch. So that's whopping 16,8mg sublingual/buccal. This amount is equivalent to three-four MST200 IV tablets at ONCE. I'm still not sure something like that would kill me, but I prefer to not check it anyway.

Symptoms:
Very, very deep sleep like hibernation with only slight breathing or sometimes completely without. Violet bruising on the face or palms. After waking up you feel like complete shit, being still very much sedated, bemused but also dehydrated. A lot of confusion and not understanding what happened may occur. Most of the time, of course, you are woken up by an ambulance with naloxone. It only happened to me once and I remember their visit like a dream, or maybe rather nightmare.

Also after several hours of coma, changes in the brain due to hypoxia may occur, and it might be irreversible. That stage of overdosing is really scary as HELL. Because if you're unlucky, your cognitive functions may never recover from something like this. Isn't it worst than death itself?

What to do?: Call the ambulance/give naloxone by yourself - or if that's impossible - then perform RKO (with with special emphasis on artificial respiration) if needed. Time is probably the essence.