• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Diazepam acute withdrawal

Miserableme

Greenlighter
I have been taking roughly 60mg of diazepam daily since the new year. Have sought help and finally have an assessment on Tuesday but i know it will be weeks until the doc prescribed any and i can’t get them who i was getting them off anymore. So i have no choice but to cold turkey from in two days time. I’m petrified as i live alone. What if i fit? How long will the physical symptoms last? Mentally too I’m not strong at all at the moment physically too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

since the new year? six months. That is a serious situation. 60mg is a large dose. I would not even attempt that on my own, the confusion and hallucinations sneak up on you, by the time you are close to seizing you are extremely confused and a seizure leaves you even
more confused. It's a dangerous situation and can result in death. you need a hospital, or enough valium to do a long taper.

since the new year? six months. That is a serious situation. 60mg is a large dose. I would not even attempt that on my own, the confusion and hallucinations sneak up on you, by the time you are close to seizing you are extremely confused and a seizure leaves you even
more confused. It's a dangerous situation and can result in death. you need a hospital, or enough valium to do a long taper.

Yep agreed, 60mg daily for 6 months is a heavy habit. You definitely need a taper from that, even if it's a quick one but a taper nonetheless. Seizure risk is high when you have been using for extended periods and especially so at such doses. Be safe.

The good news is that Diazepam has a pretty long half life and it usually takes 1-2 weeks for withdrawal symptoms to peak. The bad news is that 60mgs is quite a substantial dose and running into problems 1-2 weeks after stopping cold could cause potential problems.

If you can't get hold of some Diazepam, then try getting hold of another benzo to tide you over, just make sure the dosage equivalency is correct. If that's not an option, then Gabapentin if you can get a hold of it.

Taking some anti-convulsion supplements could help you through this as well. Magnesium Glycinate, L-Taurine, L-Theanine, Myo-Inositol... etc all have anti-convulsion effects and may help to take the edge off withdrawal symptoms when used in combination.

6 months is not a long time but it is enought and 60 mgs is a serious dosage.
Everybody has told you, you will need help.
As Frazzled said, you have on your side that we are not talking about a short lived benzo here, but you need to act. Now.
Go to an hospital and they should help or go to a doctor if you think he/ she will prescribe it for you.
Point is you need to solve this situation before things get ugly.
Wish you the best.

I have been taking roughly 60mg of diazepam daily since the new year. Have sought help and finally have an assessment on Tuesday but i know it will be weeks until the doc prescribed any and i can’t get them who i was getting them off anymore. So i have no choice but to cold turkey from in two days time. I’m petrified as i live alone. What if i fit? How long will the physical symptoms last? Mentally too I’m not strong at all at the moment physically too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Your gonna feel like shit for a long time,you can get benzos online at peptide stores I’d seriously look into it and start tapering down at your own comfort level instead of trying to jump off at 60 mg.. I was on 40-50 for a year or so and tapered it down to 7.5 mg and jumped off and I had a miserable 3 weeks before I started to slowly feel better

Your gonna feel like shit for a long time,you can get benzos online at peptide stores I’d seriously look into it and start tapering down at your own comfort level instead of trying to jump off at 60 mg.. I was on 40-50 for a year or so and tapered it down to 7.5 mg and jumped off and I had a miserable 3 weeks before I started to slowly feel better
My doc won’t let me. They are adamant 10mg weekly

Sadly, you are going to see more and more prescribers behaving in this manner. I work in an environment where I am hearing about it more and more, often from doctors themselves. The days of requesting benzos and getting them (not saying that is what happened here) is largely over, at least when compared to previous times.

And of course this has much to do with liability and preserving one's license to practice medicine and risk management in general. In addition, the medical model is dictating that even prescribing benzos at all, under formerly common circumstances/conditions, is becoming slowly phased out except in the most "extreme" cases. They did it with opiates, and they are now doing it with benzodiazepenes and have been for several years. In addition, I would speculate that in the future, you will see a major crackdown on the internet-based drug trade and research chemicals. Again, just speculation, but I would suggest that the trend of "easy access" to drugs on the internet is absolutely going to change. Not today or tomorrow, but I will say that I believe that easy access to drugs, again, via the internet, will end eventually be targeted. I believe the clearnet markets will be targeted first, at least when compared to how relatively easy it is to acquire them now. I also believe that moving forward, there will be blanket bans of many chemicals that are fairly easy to obtain currently. It can't be stopped entirely, and never will, but I do believe that a crackdown will occur in the future. I just mention it because everything that I have been observing for many years keeps leading me to that conclusion, so I guess everyone will find out one way or another...

Sadly, you are going to see more and more prescribers behaving in this manner. I work in an environment where I am hearing about it more and more, often from doctors themselves. The days of requesting benzos and getting them (not saying that is what happened here) is largely over, at least when compared to previous times.

And of course this has much to do with liability and preserving one's license to practice medicine and risk management in general. In addition, the medical model is dictating that even prescribing benzos at all, under formerly common circumstances/conditions, is becoming slowly phased out except in the most "extreme" cases. They did it with opiates, and they are now doing it with benzodiazepenes and have been for several years. In addition, I would speculate that in the future, you will see a major crackdown on the internet-based drug trade and research chemicals. Again, just speculation, but I would suggest that the trend of "easy access" to drugs on the internet is absolutely going to change. Not today or tomorrow, but I will say that I believe that easy access to drugs, again, via the internet, will end eventually be targeted. I believe the clearnet markets will be targeted first, at least when compared to how relatively easy it is to acquire them now. I also believe that moving forward, there will be blanket bans of many chemicals that are fairly easy to obtain currently. It can't be stopped entirely, and never will, but I do believe that a crackdown will occur in the future. I just mention it because everything that I have been observing for many years keeps leading me to that conclusion, so I guess everyone will find out one way or another...
ive witnessed egregious episodes of providers attempting to cover their ass following the FDA guidelines to pull benzos from people showing dementia signs. I am in contact with 6 (currently) 65+ year olds who have been utterly abandoned by GPs and no one will take their case. It's one thing to be like "ok, we gotta phase you off this, let's titrate" quite another to fill an Rx for someone for 30 years, possess knowledge of the withdrawals and then abandon elderly folks to their fate. utterly unconscionable.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if the OP is in Canada or the US but I feel the situation is probably the same up north as it is down south.
It's super weird that Canada seems to be moving towards a model of being able to posses anything whatsoever up to 2.5g but eliminating access to pretty much anything they can't tax the hell out of....
Can you imagine being able to possess 2g of fentanyl if you lived in BC but your mother can't get her freaking diazepam refilled after 30 years of prescriptions???
What a fucked up time to be alive....
I really love canada but they don't know their right hand from their left when it comes to drug laws.

I'm not sure if the OP is in Canada or the US but I feel the situation is probably the same up north as it is down south.
It's super weird that Canada seems to be moving towards a model of being able to posses anything whatsoever up to 2.5g but eliminating access to pretty much anything they can't tax the hell out of....
Can you imagine being able to possess 2g of fentanyl if you lived in BC but your mother can't get her freaking diazepam refilled after 30 years of prescriptions???
What a fucked up time to be alive....
I really love canada but they don't know their right hand from their left when it comes to drug laws.
i know. they have some of the most progressive and regressive simultaneous policies. it's weird. we do too.