• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Desperate to get into detox but have no money or insurance?

Saturnsunflower

Bluelighter
Heavily addicted to Fent and desperate to get into a detox, but have no money or insurance. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? I’ve tried getting off myself a million times, i clearly need professional help 😔

You need to check yourself into an emergency room. A social worker can help you get onto Medicaid. It also can cover transition "sober house" living afterwards and all the counseling to help you integrate back into society. I have a friend who did this in NJ earlier this year. It sounded challening all around.

The biggest issue is if you have a car or not. You will need a job to pay rent for your sober living house, even if it is discounted. If you don't have a car, this would be a problem in most of the country. Said friend regrets not going to Brooklyn where his grandparents are, but for the family and access to bus/trains.

If you are American, check for local substance abuse resources, they may be able to help get you Medicaid. From there the hospital or a medical detox that takes Medicaid
Is it more than a physical addiction. I do not know, I have been on opiods 7+ years and don't abuse/ misuse my meds. I had 8 left when I got my new Oxy script and voluntarily gave up 24/7 morphine. I say this because I only like the pain relief but hate pills, and don't know about fent addiction's psychological effects. I was an alky, not into other drugs besides nicotine.

Once detoxed, could you stay sober?
I ask because I was an alky, but getting allergic to alcohol is why I am alive. Have had cirrhosis over 8 years. Besides nicotine and coffee( hugh amounts= lots of caffeine) They are only drugs I have had psychological and/ or physical addiction too, besides alcohol. Been on benzos for 7+ years. Physically if I quit I might die, but otherwise I don't like them either.
If you quit, I am ignorant about the psychological aspects of fent addiction,
could you stay off it? Also if you get Medicaid, there might be some free rehabs, but beds but beds might be scarce.

Things seem to vary from state to state( if you are American) As mentioned in another post, a social worker may be able to help.

As someone with issues, I know this may seem hard, but you have to seek help aggressively. I sort of got lucky, in that I was brought to the ER, half dead and in horrible shape and the hospital made sure I got Medicaid, I got stuck there for 2-3 weeks and they wanted at least some money.
Look for help, first to detox and then hopefully figure out the rest. Hopefully you can get a good social worker who will help.