• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

depression after opiate withdrawl

phatass

Bluelighter
so i'm wondering if i should take an SSRI coz i'm feeling real shit since i'm done with the methadone... i was thinking fluoxetine (prozac) or maybe citalopram...

any feedback appreciated...

i've tried ludiomil and mirtazepine but they didn't do nothing...

If you're feeling absolutely shitty and think of hurting yourself or anything like that see a doc and let him decide, if he decides an antidepressant is the best route than I'd suggest either lexapro or cymbalta, those have the fewest side effects and side effects are the last thing you want added on top of your withdrawal, if you decide to take one I'd highly suggest lexapro as it has the least amount of side effects whilst providing the most efficient results on par with remeron and effexor.

I'd just say tough it out though if your withdrawals aren't that bad, and if you're going through withdrawals then they obviously can't be that bad otherwise you'd be either fixing up right now or out trying to score so.. that's that.

I was going to suggest methadone but upon writing and thinking about the second paragraph in my post I don't think its necessary.

My last bit of advice would be to buy some codeine OTC, I see you're in france and from my knowledge most european countries as well as my own country have codeine OTC.

But yeah if youre going through withdrawals and can actually sit on a computer and tell the internet how you're feeling they can't be THAT BAD otherwise like I said you'd be out scoring or fixing up right now or out stealing your cousins bike to sell for dope money(lil a bit of humour never hurt anyone).

Goodluck

-v4l

If the depression is really affecting ur life then go see a doctor and get on meds for a little bit. I'd suggest trying therapy thou, either alone or long with the medication. But I personally not really into just taking a medication w/o trying to deal with the issues.

Ur depression is caused by PAWS thou and it will get better most likely on it own. Try getting occupied, clean ur house, read some books, exercise, go out. IF u don't feel like doing these things force urself to do them as I guarantee that eventually if not the same day they will make u feel better.

I know u feel depressed but think about how much better ur life will be not being a slave to drugs anymore. U r a free man. Since ur depression is most likely just caused by PAWS and it will pass then adding another drug is not the best idea. Just wait it out and it will get better once ur brain returns to what it was before u were on drugs.

Antidepressants have a w/d and problems of their own. They are not a magical fix for depression. It might be difficult to get off them and they might make u feel worse. U have already come all this way then hang on a little longer and don't jump quickly into the hands of another drug. Antidepressants are another drug, just like methadone. Try everything else to fix ur depression and then in a few months or so if it's still bad then yeah try an antidepressant but as a lost resort type of thing.

I am also off opiates and even thou I am depression prone, I am not depressed anymore. I didn't want to take ADs as I had bad experiences with them before. My depression lasted a good few months and I did actually try an AD which didn't help. After switching ADs for a few months and still not getting good results I just said fuck it and tried to treat my depression naturally which led to me not being depressed anymore. I try to just be happy with what I have and how things are. I try not to get stressed over little things. The only thing that ADs did for me is make me not be able to get an orgasm, but I guess they do work for some people so it's a personal choice type of thing. But in ur case I'd try to wait it out or try other ways of treating depression.

Last edited:
...I'd suggest cymbalta...

...My last bit of advice would be to buy some codeine OTC...

That's some bad advice right there. I know people who have had good results with lexapro, but everyone who's tried cymbalta has told me to stay the fuck away from it.

And codeine for opiate withdrawal?

Srsly?!!?!

Phatass, I was seriously depressed after I initially quit opiates, and something that really worked for me, and which could serve as an intermediate step before getting on rx ADs, is something called rhodiola rosea. It affects the endorphin and enkaphalin systems as well as dopamine and serotonin, yet it isn't a reuptake inhibitor. You have to get the right brand though.

I used to take 1 cap of solgars 'Full Potency Rhodiola' with 250mg 3% rosavins and 1% salidrosides + 100mg raw powder all in the same capsule once in the morning, after about a week I started really noticing results. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I am currently a depression-prone individual in the midst of heroin/oxy withdrawals and have found 5-HTP to be a life saver. you hear more about it in the MDMA-oriented forums but it is essentially a fast-acting SSRI. where SSRI's take a few weeks to "build-up" in your system 5-HTP kicks in after about 30 minutes and greatly helps with the depression.

good luck, it'll all be over soon enough... one way or another...