• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dependence and Withdrawal (Opiates and Alprazolam)

bsomebody

Greenlighter
Hi I'm new here. I wanted to share a little bit about my story and see if anyone can relate to this experience. I had been dependent on oxycodone for a few years. I ended up at around anywhere from 60 to 120 mg of Oxycodone a day. I was snorting them because I would never get any feeling when I swallowed them. Around April 2016, I began doing Xanax on a regular basis. Snorting them as well. I would do 6-10mg xanax a day and about 80 mg oxycodone a day (much more on good days
12.gif
). Here's where my questions come in because I cant remember anything I did this last summer, high on xanax I would fall asleep everywhere, and on some days not remember how I got to bed. Toward the end of summer, I remember I was taking suboxone to get off oxycodone and I wasnt doing xan because it wasnt around. I would go back and forth between the pills and the strip depending on what was around. I started drinking heavily at night for rest because money was low. So during this week I got really sick from withdrawal and couldnt get out of the bed. on 9/4 I decided I needed to visit the hospital because the withdrawal was so bad. When I was in the hospital I remember experiencing things that, according to everyone around me, didnt actually happen. At this time, it had been about 2 days no opiates and at least 5 days no xanax. I couldnt remember anything at this point. I couldnt remember my address, parents names, where i lived, worked, anything. They didnt really do much at the hospital but give one dose of ativan during a 3 day period. when I came home I couldnt remember much still. It took me weeks to remember how to get to a corner store which was literally 2 blocks away from my house. Over the following few months I struggled with remembering several things like how to get to my job, local street names, highways and routes to places i frequented, I remember I couldnt work my phone and my mother in law had to show me how to work simple functions in my phone. I write all of this because I thought that I was suffering from amnesia or some mental illness. I remember I wasnt able to spell or define simple words and i would read things and the simple sentence structures wouldnt even make sense. Today I am 4 months sober. I still have the memory struggle which is extremely difficult but it isnt as bad, everyday more and more things come to me. I didnt do anything for the withdrawal but drink alcohol and Im now to the point where i can drink just a beer at night and get rest. Im wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this. i wonder if i can attribute this to the sleep deprivation, in the beginning I was getting less than an hour of sleep everyday and now im to where i get a full 8 hours. I still have the restless arms, back pain, and muscle weakness. As far as the memory struggle, is this normal? its been 4 months. has anyone else ever experienced this before?

Last edited:
I've been through some bad heroin withdrawals and although my memory from the worst days of withdrawal are hazy it's not a lasting side effect. 20mg of xanax a day is big dose, it's bound to be playing a big part in what your experiencing. That dose will definitely cause short term memory loss, I'm not sure how it affects memory long term though

Hello, and welcome to BL. Between 2011-2013 I was taking 6-8 mg Xanax everyday. Those 3 years looking back were just a blur it seems. I would forget things I had been told or had told someone else. A bad side effect of Benzos is they destroy your short term memory, you begin to constantly repeat yourself, cause you forgot about telling the same stupid story you did the day before. You start every conversation with...." I may have already told you this....."

On December 3rd 2013, I said FTW...I HAVE to give this shit up. My day didn't even start until I threw back 3-5 bars after work. Even on the weekends, I would watch the clock, waiting to and fighting off the urge to dose at noon...I C

OMG.....Why does BL allow you to write a fucking book, and then when you hit "post reply" it's like you're logged out, I'm done with this shit,

Ya dude 6-8 mgs for that long is a lottt for me at least . I know people have used more but dude no wonder you feel that way... I took at most 1-2 mgs Xanax a day and would switch every other day instead of 1-2 mgs Xanax id take 10-20 mgs Valium to switch metabolites and half lives in my system. Now I'm tapering , I'm down to 1 mgs or 10 mgs Valium a day and I also quit gabapentin cold turkey 12 days ago so I'm taking it one drug at a time . For me taking more than 2 mgs in a day even when I was taking .5-1 mg daily was a lot it made me groggy and feel slow and shitty the next day so I don't like over doing benzos never did I liked the euphoria of having anxiety go away and relaxation that comes with it not the blacking out part lol.

You should be really proud of yourself that you quit and it's been that long , just thank god or whatever thank yourself and stick to it , do you wanna restart all those months all over again all that pain? No? So just stay focused man don't take benzos if you can't seem to keep it under control. A

And I know how it sucks with the phone version bluelight messing up

Yes I guess I sorta built up a tolerance for it because I would do them every now and then until it became an everyday thing when they became more accessible

Thanks you all for your responses this is the most feedback I've got since this all happened. I'm just glad to get some sort of answers because no one understood what was happening to me. Like I kicked opiates before some years back, I was off them for a year and it took 6 months before I could wake up without the withdrawals and the restless legs and arms. But now this is a totally different experience and I wasn't sure if it was because I switched back n forth between the subs and the pills (sometimes I did them on top of Each other. I also heard that doing them back n forth fux ur brain up). Or if the Xanax played a big part in my memory loss. The dependence on the 2 together and severe dehydration from alcohol really did a number on me. Just wish I was in a doctors care who knew what the hell was happening with me

I understand u stopped a 6-10 mg a day xanax habit cold turkey? Dude that memory loss and cognitive impairment you got seems to be par for the course for quitting a big xanax habit...if that was your only major symptom I'd say u got fairly lucky...hopefully it all comes back to you soon!

I feel your situation to well. I'm still dealing with mental dependence and derelium. My memory of past occurrences is terrible. Benzos suck man, everyday I'm trying to be able to enjoy things