Declaring a conviction

Saffy

Bluelighter
I have an interview today and want to know, if I'm not asked whether I have a conviction or not, should I not say anything?

It's not for a job that needs a police check .. only a bog standard office job ...

A week ago I was approached by a recruitment agency, really excited by ready my CV and they said they really wanted to send me for an interview for a job they had on their books .... I mentioned that I have a conviction for possession and they hummed and ahhed, said that they would speak to their legal department ... and haven't got back to me since ! This made me decide to not admit to anything unless asked in future ...

This is interesting.

If your convictions were when you were a minor, and they are misdemeanor, I'm sure you can lie as there is no way for them to find out.

If they are felony, no matter what age you are, you have to tell the truth. However, what are the penalties if you lied?

And what about misdemeanors above 18?

There is no law that states you must declare a conviction on an employment application. If they do a criminal background or credit check they must first get your permission. You will see where you must sign for the OK at the bottom of the application or sometimes they have a separate form.

If they ask you on an application if you have a felony and you lie, it is cause for termination (falsifying company documents) but you can't be sued or anything like that.

If they don't ask about it on the application then you should be OK.

I have a federal drug conviction on my record. I applied at over a hundred places and if I listed my felony, I never got a call back. Finally I found a place that didn't even ask about a felony conviction on their application. After I was interviewed they said all they had to do was a criminal background check and they would hire me. They never got my permission. However after studying background checks I found that federal charges don't appear on many of the searches - some only check the state you are in and some do a nation wide state background check. My felony won't show on either.

I got lucky and my check came back clean! So they hired me. I was ready for legal action if I got denied because according to the fair credit reporting act they must obtain written permission.

People in the country fucking disgust me, how do they expect felons to stay out of crime if they can't even get a job. I understand not wanting a child molester to work at a day care but we go a bit overboard on these things.

I work in the employment industry. Do a background check on yourself over the internet and see what comes up. Chances are if it happened in a different state you should be okay. Good luck.

here's the thing - if they find out later they can fire you, and you'll be able to do jack shit about it.

"this person misrepresented themselves to us."

game over.

michael said:
here's the thing - if they find out later they can fire you, and you'll be able to do jack shit about it.

"this person misrepresented themselves to us."

game over.

i'm in the same boat except it's misdemeanor theft. who the fuck would hire someone convicted of theft... not many people I tell you this.

the way I look at it is if I tell them i'm definatly not getting hired. If i don't tell them and work for a while and then get fired it's better than nothing.