• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DEA Targets FedEx, UPS in Online Pharmacy Battle

Bluelight Crew
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2013/mar/29/dea_targets_fedex_ups_online_pha

Charged with cracking down on the diversion of prescription drugs, the DEA has pursed doctors, pharmacists, pharmacy chains, and wholesale drug suppliers. It has now turned a baleful eye on shipping companies as well, with differing results -- at least so far.

The Orlando Sentinel reported Tuesday that both UPS and FedEx had admitted in corporate filings that they were the targets of DEA probes into packages of pills shipped from online pharmacies. Prescriptions filled by online pharmacies are illegal if there is not a real doctor-patient relationship, and the DEA maintains that prescriptions written by "cyber doctors" relying on online questionnaires are not legal.

FedEx has strongly pushed back against the DEA probe, but UPS has now buckled under the pressure. In a Friday statement, the DEA announced that UPS had agreed to forfeit $40 million it had been paid for shipments by online pharmacies and to enter into a "compliance program" to ensure online pharmacies can't use its services. The deal was part of a non-prosecution agreement the shipper signed with federal prosecutors in Northern California.

DEA accused UPS of knowingly shipping the illegally-prescribed drugs between 2003 and 2010 because "it was on notice, through some employees" that such activities were occurring. DEA also accused UPS of failing to do anything about it.

"DEA is aggressively targeting the diversion of controlled substances, as well as those who facilitate their unlawful distribution," said DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart. "This investigation is significant and DEA applauds UPS for working to strengthen and enhance its practices in order to prevent future drug diversion."

FedEx may prove a tougher nut to crack. Officials there called the federal probe "absurd and disturbing" and said it threatened customer privacy. They also accused the DEA of failing to cooperate with them in efforts to resolve the problem.

"We are a transportation company -- we are not law enforcement, we are not doctors and we are not pharmacists," FedEx spokesman Patrick Fitzgerald said in a prepared statement. "We have no interest in violating the privacy of our customers by opening and inspecting their packages in an attempt to determine the legality of the contents. We stand ready and willing to support and assist law enforcement. We cannot, however, do their jobs for them."

FedEx complained that rather than working with the shipping industry to come up with solutions, the Justice Department appeared focused on finding ways to prosecute shippers.

"This is unwarranted by law and a dangerous distraction at a time when the purported illegal activity by these pharmacies continues," Fitzgerald said.

FedEx has been a major campaign contributor to US Rep. John Mica (R-FL), whom the Sentinel reported had sent a letter to Leonhart and Attorney General Eric Holder asking them to recognize "the difficulty and unfairness of requiring those carriers to assume responsibility for the legality and validity of the contents of the millions of sealed packages that they pick up and deliver ever day."

Mica told the Sentinel that while he is "concerned about prescription drugs," it was inefficient to try to turn shipping companies into drug policy enforcers. "You can't stop commerce; you can't open every package," Mica said. "I'm only asking them for a reasonable approach."

But it doesn't appear that DEA and the Justice Department see things the same way as Rep. Mica does.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2013/mar/29/dea_targets_fedex_ups_online_pha

what-can-brown-do-for-you.jpg

Snitch?

I don't know why but I woulda figured FedEX to fold before UPS. The DEA must have scared the shit out of them. I agree it's not the shipping companies job to patrol packages. Fucking bullshit.

I thought it was up to CBP (customs) to decide what comes in. Don't FedEx & UPS packages pass through customs just like USPS?

In all fairness, most companies would do the same. Fedex will be doing the same thing soon, I bet.
Nearly all big companies are scum-suckers, but the blame in this case belongs directly on the DEA, and the drug war is to blame for the DEA doing this.
We need to overturn the illegal, immoral, racist, drug war, forcing the authorities to accept the constitutional right to pursue happiness, and then this will be a non-issue.

The underlying issue as far as I'm concerned? It's none of the fucking government's business what I put in my body anyway! fuck off and get a real job!

As far as UPS? I don't send or receive illegal drugs in the mail, but I'll never use them again, just on principle!

These assholes don't have anything better to do.....

The one in a million person dies from prescription drugs they receieved in the mail? big fucking deal. it's a dangerous world!

How many people die from alcohol and car accidents and cigarettes? We really need to pay this overzealous cunt and her underlings OUR taxmoney to pry into peoples personal lives and monitor what they put into their own bodies by choice? Again, GO OUT AND GET A REAL JOB THAT ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING FOR FUCKING ANYONE!

Fuck Michele LeonHart(complete twat!), fuck the DEA, and most recently fuck UPS!!

thats all!

Edit: On second thought, with the outrageous prison sentences the DEA hands out to people for basically even looking or talking about drugs, they might just come after to me for my....IDK, I currently don't even use illegal drugs, but they've put thousands of people in prison for shit that literally nobody fucking knew about or even fucking cared.....The only reason THEY(the DEA) knew is because somebody else got in trouble and gave them a name!(Way too inept to source their own drugs)

So, apparently, despite the fact that we;re in a recession, you can give the DEA a name, and they'll put a bunch of agents, making 60,000 on surveillance of some poor douchebag selling dime bags!(true strory)

So, on second thought, God bless the DEA....they're doing God's work....on OUR dime! congrats!

second edit: Going after the Mexican cartels who ruthlessly kill innocent people in the name of illegal drug profits is one thing, but exactly where is the victim when it comes to people ordering pharmaceutical drugs online for personal use?! Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Without naming sources obviously, I will say that I've used many of these "pharmacies" -- some even mailed controlled drugs to me in my name in an orange bottle with a serial number and a doctor's name... or a doctor would fill out a script for me to fill. But for ones sent by non-doctor "template-website-smiling-white-blonde-as-header" "pharmacies" usually they were shipped in a way that you couldnt hear them rattling if shaking it, and if you squeezed it it would feel like a big block, not pills. and most importantly ALL were sent by USPS. They flat out refused to use private carriers unless the customer agreed to assume liability/losses for lost shipment. UPS/Fedex will actually reach out to the DEA before they even have a clue because it looks good before shareholders whereas USPS with its strapped budget is subject to due process.

IANAL but from what i hear, USPS is ideal for this sort of thing because, unlike a private carrier like UPS, probable cause and a court order is necessary to open your parcel. UPS can open your stuff for any reason they want, they are not subject to due process etc. UPS at least has even boasted at times about initiating the arrest of someone (and of course, no court order, etc necessary if the company consents).

Is it worse to be called a cunt or a twat? I think anatomically, twats are more puckered than cunts--but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if you put the two side by side.

Also, has anyone read The Crying of Lot 49? They had an underground mail service in it, and I think some of these may arise in the near future. For all parcels, not just illegal ones. Some people (me, for instance) don't want their mail monitored, no matter what's in it. Give me liberty or give me death and etc.

Last edited:
^Have you actually layd eyes on a photo of miss Leonhart(or mrs. if she's married, God forbid)

Cunt or twat? You decide......

In America, both aren't the best things to be called....If we were in the UK, I'd probably call my grandmother a "cunt" on Christmas.....Or at least it seems that way!

I'm a country member. Not a twat, I think cunt is more offensive only because of all the hysteria that goes with it.

What were we saying? Oh yeah, fuck the police, fuck the system and fuck this bullshit.

Prescriptions filled by online pharmacies are illegal if there is not a real doctor-patient relationship, and the DEA maintains that prescriptions written by "cyber doctors" relying on online questionnaires are not legal.

Let's have people without medical degrees determine what's a "real doctor-patient relationship" :|

Then we can have a 2 year old determine if the DEA is a waste of money or not... :D

FedEx has strongly pushed back against the DEA probe

Good; I'm going to keep this in mind.

"We are a transportation company -- we are not law enforcement, we are not doctors and we are not pharmacists," FedEx spokesman Patrick Fitzgerald said in a prepared statement. "We have no interest in violating the privacy of our customers by opening and inspecting their packages in an attempt to determine the legality of the contents. We stand ready and willing to support and assist law enforcement. We cannot, however, do their jobs for them."

*applauds*