PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Datura / Jimson Weed

forestman4

Bluelighter
This is a very controversial topic,
And I need advice for harm reduction,
I've done datura once, I pulled 2 flowers, and boiled them to a tea. After 20 minutes what resulted was the datura loosing all of its colour and the water becoming green. It tasted really bad but I had a mug full, slowly, often checking my self every 30 min,
My finger nails turned purple and I had a THC like experience. And I passed out.

This plant is no joke, the plant is very common and grows everywhere in my country. I've seen it in my back yard. Only problem is, people use it to commit suicide.

I know it has heavy hallucigenic properties and I plan on taking 5 seeds, and brewing another 5 into a tea and ingest that slowly. I've had no access to hallucigens so I always wanted to feel it...

But the damm thing is too dangerous?
Should I do it?
If so is 10 seeds enough, or will it kill me?

I need a decision, and alot of information about the plant ( I can't find many ).

I believe the information will help me decide on whether I should do something that could very well kill me.

Thanks,
Forestman4

Is it okay if you take datura knowing how dangerous it could be?

No, it isn't.

You answered your own question. You know how dangerous it is..

I can tell by reading your post that you've done your homework on the dangers of the stuff. Assuming I know nothing of datura, I would be steered away from it for life on the basis of your post alone.

Calderone, In my oppinion -the differences between psychedelics and deleriants aside- this post doesn't belong in 'psychedelic drugs' for a bunch of acid trippers to deal with, not because of the drugs in question but because of the dangers that OP points out, yet still considers it. I consider that to be a red flag that goes beyond wanting to trip out/expand consciousness.

Last edited:
^ ehm yes, Psychedelic Drugs has always dealt with questions regarding deliriants, so she made the right decision moving it from homeless (I suppose) to PD.... I also think that your aggressiveness won't do anything to keep the OP from doing this.

forestman: the main problem with these plants (datura, brugmansia, etc) is that the contained alkaloids can be very toxic, highly hallucinogenic and might easily lead to dangerous and uncontrolled behavior. on top of this, alkaloid content can vary greatly, so it's not as easy as "take 5 seeds and you'll be fine". you might wanna check out some reports on erowid and wonder why most of them seem to be bad experiences.

I have no personal experiences with such drugs, but of all the legal ways to get "high", these have definitely the worst track record.

No. It wasn't a way for someone to Greenlight.
I wanted information, because I believe all drugs, psychotropic substances should be well documented.

People will always try to get 'high', for many it is depression, for me personally it started with depression but now it's basically to try, I'm pursuing a career in microbiology, I'm about to begin my first year on November, and the reason is drugs has fascinated me, so has biological agents such as toxins etc..

But mainly I just wanna know how it feels...
I'm pretty sure shamans and other people have used these substances without much harm.

Well as bagseed said some useful information about the alkaloids, and I'm pretty sure that they vary greatly, from plant to plant, I'll start with 2 seeds, and increase by one untill I get to the right dosage for me, I'm pretty sure the alkaloid content of the same plant wouldn't wary?

Thanks for the help..

I just don't want to be someone who gives up and thinks 'well if that guy thinks he knows what he's getting himself into and he's going to do it regardless of evidence, then why should I bother saying anything?'.. Most people I know who did it ended up in hospital or doing something that they deeply regret.

But, I'm going to avoid the topic of datura from now on.

Deaths seem pretty rare although it certainly has potential for real danger; the main problem that crops up is not knowing what you are doing or just having a bad time - the majority don’t find it fun but some do; the problem is since not a lot use brugmansia and datura there isn’t a great deal of info for exact dosing to go on and most plants vary in drug content by quite a way - the only thing is to read all the info you can get and start small - if you plan to use these you have to be prepared to work up slowly to and get to know them. The plant is respected and used in many places including many Sadhus in India, shaman in ayahuasca brew, Nepal and loads of other places but it isn’t something you play around with at the drop of a hat and if you coming on here to ask should I do it you might want to consider if you are educated enough or ready for the discipline of working with this plant; the drug level could vary through the season, with species etc - if you going ahead be as methodical and scientific about it as possible - repeats low dose experiements to check for variance - erowid suggests as little as 4-5g of dried stramonium leaf could be fatal - there are plenty of reports if you search - read them all and start lower. The other thing is you can buy scopolamine and related drugs in many places fairly easy - it would be much safer to experiement with know quantities than with the plant

Last edited:
Yes, I live in india and datura is very respected. I'm mainly planning on meditation after taking a few seeds..

I'm pretty sure shamans and other people have used these substances without much harm.

I'm pretty sure some people have run across highways through traffic without much harm, but you don't see me trying it.

I don't think think this topic should be in " Psychedelic Drugs " ....

Perhaps a " Dangerous Drugs " forum might be more relevant ?

This is a very controversial topic,
And I need advice for harm reduction,
I've done datura once, I pulled 2 flowers, and boiled them to a tea. After 20 minutes what resulted was the datura loosing all of its colour and the water becoming green. It tasted really bad but I had a mug full, slowly, often checking my self every 30 min,
My finger nails turned purple and I had a THC like experience. And I passed out.

This plant is no joke, the plant is very common and grows everywhere in my country. I've seen it in my back yard. Only problem is, people use it to commit suicide.

I know it has heavy hallucigenic properties and I plan on taking 5 seeds, and brewing another 5 into a tea and ingest that slowly. I've had no access to hallucigens so I always wanted to feel it...

But the damm thing is too dangerous?
Should I do it?
If so is 10 seeds enough, or will it kill me?

I need a decision, and alot of information about the plant ( I can't find many ).

I believe the information will help me decide on whether I should do something that could very well kill me.

Thanks,
Forestman4

I've been a lurker here for a very long time, however I hope my personal experience with Datura may be of assistance to you.

First, I would like to inform you my experiences were about 15 years ago at high school age. That said, my recollections are limited at best. Additionally, I had only VERY limited experience with Cannabis and alcohol prior to these experiments with the seeds of Datura. I would now consider myself well educated and experienced on various Empathogens and hallucinogens

Unfortunately i'm unsure if you'll find what you're looking for in Datura, nor is it a good representation of the benefits of other more popular psychedelics.

If I recall correctly, each time I consumed Datura seeds, I felt no effects whatsoever for at least 2-3 hours.

My first experiment with Datura, I consumed 4 mature and dried seeds from the spiny fruit after it had naturally burst open. I consumed them in the early morning before taking the bus to school. Throughout the day, I observed only a hint of intermittent blurred vision and a slightly dry mouth.

The following day, I consumed 10 mature and dried seeds in the same fashion as the day prior. Throughout the day, I observed more pronounced and consistent blurred vision, extreme dry mouth with a peculiar unpleasant taste, and in addition felt slightly light headed and unfocused. I recall no body sensation or additional visual distortion.

The 3rd and final time I consumed Datura wont be very helpful to you in the sense of dosing. I consumed the entire contents of one of the dried spiny fruits which failed to burst open when the rest of them did. I'm sure you can imagine if you've seen them how many seeds that could have been. Several hundred? (a rough estimation of 400 +/- I was a stupid 14 year old.)

I lived on a large and very remote farm at the time. My siblings and I began preparing a tent for a weekend camping excursion on the farm away from parents a few hours after I had consumed them. My parents were not home at the time. I hadn't realized I was experiencing significantly reduced coordination until it began to get dark and I had become entangled in the tent string that was attached to a stake in the ground - destroying the tent in the process and falling to the ground. My step brother who was present and with a couple of his friends from school and was the one who introduced me to Datura and talked me into being his test mule advised me to go to the house and lay down. At this time for whatever reason, I had not given any thought to what I had consumed. (as an after thought, at the time of going to the house I was clearly lacking good judgement and critical thinking capacity). As I walked into the house, I stopped at a pet crate just inside the door where we had a litter of Kittens which the mother seemingly abandoned and we were caring for. I opened the crate and picked one of them up and carried it to the couch where I laid down on my back and placed the kitten on my sternum while I stroked it from head to rump. Some time later, (unfortunately I have no idea the actual time that passed be it 10 minutes or 2 hours) my step brother entered the house and living room to check on me. A concerned expression washed over his face before asking me "What the f*** are you doing"? Confused, I asked him what he meant and he responded "why are you petting your chest like that"? I confidently told him I had one of the kittens. He challenged that so I looked down expecting to still see the kitten there. Alas, I saw only my hand stroking my chest! I stood up in a panic and began thrashing around the living room in a desperate search for the little kitten which was only a few weeks old! My step brother vanished through the doorway to the room where the crate of kittens were kept. Moments later he returned to report all of the kittens were safe and in the crate.

(To this day, I have absolutely no idea what chain of events lead up to that point after entering the house earlier. Did I return the kitten to the crate after holding it or had I never opened that crate to begin with?)

My step brother always was kind of a scum bag and often took advantage of my desire to impress he and his friends as they were all a couple of years my senior. He seemed to enjoy setting me up into situations I would find consequences for and often covertly informed his mother of my getting into trouble which worked well to his amusement as I never told on him for anything while routinely assuming responsibility for whatever I was blamed. (Karma won here as he got his eventually as a result of his continued bad choices)

Anyway, some time later my step mother returned home. Little did I know my step brother wasted no time distancing himself from my dastardly deeds and playing the hero, she was made aware of my situation before even entering the house. Surprisingly, I wasn't the target of her usual onslaught and intimidation techniques. She managed to assess my condition and invited me into the kitchen for a glass of Orange Juice. I followed her into the kitchen and I remember my legs fealt like rubber and very uncoordinated. After I picked up the already poured glass, had a drink, and attempted to set it back down on the breakfast bar. It took me a moment to realize the glass of juice had missed the bar entirely by as much as 40 centimeters and crashed on the floor spilling everywhere. After yelling at me for the mess I had made, she ordered me back to the couch. At this time I recall my perception of the room was askew. The floor was unstable and at a steep grade with the rest of the room geometrically fluid and moving. I fell sideways into the refrigerator lacking balance as if I had just quickly spun myself around in tight circles until I could no more. I made it back to the couch and again, lost track of time as I watched the Television.

Some time latter, a stranger entered the house. I realized they had ordered a pizza from Domino's as the stranger was carrying the red insulated pizza carrier Domino's was heavily advertising in Television commercials at the time called the "Domino's Heat Wave" boasting its ability to keep your pizza piping hot to your door. In my excitement, I articulated "woah cool! Domino's Heat Wave". I'd given no thought we were probably 30 miles from the closest Pizza place and no one delivered anywhere near the farm. If there's anyone still wondering, the Red bag which the stranger was carrying was that of an EMT there to usher me to hospital.

The next thing I remember as of present or back then was climbing into the ambulance with the EMT, not really knowing why or what was actually going on. I was asked to lay on the gurney at which time the EMT and the volunteer fire department guy began strapping me in place. I recall nothing after that moment during my trip, nor was I ever filled in on what followed.

I awoke for a moment in the hospital, feeling like my bladder was about to explode and for some reason my penis ached badly! Apparently they were unable to get a catheter in. I saw a toilet beside my bed and also a nurse sitting in the room reading a book which was startled by my movement. She said nothing, sat and observed. I stood and urinated before immediately laying back down and going right back to sleep. The next time I awoke, my Father and Step mother were outside my room at the nurses station waiting for me again to awake. It wasn't long until I was discharged and ushered off to a rehab detox facility for a few days as they assessed my condition. I was informed in the car on the way I had been in a coma for almost 5 days. My father since passed away and we never again spoke in detail of exactly what had happened. I have no idea to this day if the coma was a result of overdosing on the Datura or if it was induced to help me stabilize.

In conclusion, I don't recall any beneficial feelings of euphoria, interesting visuals of breathing objects, vivid colors, or melding of perceptions. I felt no emotional connectedness, simplified outlook, or abnormal passion. In fact, the only real similarity in effect which I recall is childlike innocence which is a beneficial attribute for those wanting to get some weight off your shoulders for a little while. Still, I don't know at what dosage would allow for that expression and with what baggage.

On the contrary, I lacked any meaningful control and was schizophrenic. I don't recall anything I perceived as enjoyable. I thoroughly enjoy LSD and Psychedelic mushrooms on occasion but Datura was nothing like them whatsoever. I personally have no intentions of ever revisiting my Datura experiments. Not because I feel I overdid it and could enjoy a more appropriate dose at which point I would revisit but because at a potentially fatal dose I experienced no sign whatsoever of what I look for in a hallucinogen, even to an extreme extent which was no longer pleasurable. I don't personally feel there is any dose of Datura that I personally would find enjoyable.

To the OP, I see no reason by your posts you would make the same ignorant stupid choices as a 14 year old extrovert puke trying to impress people but I'd imagine your stated approach would be unlikely to get you where I was.

I highly advise anyone still considering trying Datura after reading this to do so with EXTREME caution. I can't even begin to offer recommendations of dosage as everyone is different and the gigantic dose difference between my unpleasant boring experience and a near death experience (which without medical attention could very well have been) is clearly insufficient data. Unfortunately I'm unable to give any recommendations on a responsible way to approach this as I'm not convinced one can be responsible while also experiencing anything resembling a good time. That said, I also can't say there isn't a dose where others find something worth experiencing. There very well may be a therapeutic use for it for some people, however even at the lower doses which seem commonplace among those who do consume was unpleasurable for me at best.

For those who've made it through my drawling rant, sorry...

I hope sharing my experiences help people find the answer they seek!

Last edited:
As others have said, datura is very dangerous. Additionally, it is not a psychedelic drug, it is nothing at all like actual psychedelics. You hallucinate in a delirious way, that is, you may see things that aren't there but you will have no idea that anything strange is happening because of the delirium, it reduces your consciousness rather than expanding it. Also, everyone reports that it makes you feel shitty. In my opinion you shouldn't do it, not only because of the danger but because it is not enjoyable. Better to hold out for some real psychedelics. :)

I took datura, 6 seeds.. weird experience to say the least....

I don't really remember much, other than heavy drinking of water.. constantly smoking cigarettes and well. . Blurred vision and my room spinning left to right...

I woke up the next day and my nails were very purple and I was dizzy..

Weird.. I couldn't remeber anything but it felt like I had a fun time..

DEFINITELY NOT A DRUG I'll be doing frequently...

Wouldn't recommend as most people don't enjoy this type of high..

I don't think think this topic should be in " Psychedelic Drugs " ....

Perhaps a " Dangerous Drugs " forum might be more relevant ?

That would be incredibly patronising. You could easily apply that label to most of the forums here. Delerient drugs would be more apt, if anything, but really the threads are so rare that I think being posted in here does the trick.