• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Dark Souls 2

What 23

Ex-Bluelighter
Who has played it?

So far I have probably died 40 times and I haven't even made it past the Forest of Giants, or whatever that section is called.

Its a great RPG series if anyone is looking to devote themselves to one.

I want it so bad. Is the character customization as good as they said it was going to be? Cause that's the only thing I'll be able to get past in the game. hahah

I accidentally jumped right into the game after choosing the deprived class. I would have liked to have customized my character but I justified it in that I don't remember customizing my character as me, real :). I may check this feature though, as I am thinking about being a mage- or making a mage and warrior/knight class, to learn more of the game. Any time I start deprived I seem to rely on melee/physical.

Yea I played quite a bit. I finally got the hang of it somewhat.. not that I don't die a lot. The death count in the game worldwide online was nearing 12 million as of this morning.

I haven't yet defeated a boss solo. Both ones I have summoned help from other people online. Perhaps when my character gets up there I can be if help to others.

One of the main things that was getting to me was I did know how to jump. You have to be running, then on Xbox click the left thumb stick.

I'm not sure I like it as much as the first dark souls. Its not as dark. Not as revealing. The atmosphere isn't the same. Its brighter. The payoffs don't seem as sweet. But I don't know. Not that it is bad! But sometimes many times I say "this game just sucks", pissed at how cheap it feels how they kill me sometimes. Its a lot of memorization. Painful memorization.

Last edited:
I bought it today, but my mood has changed, and I am leaving it in the plastic. I kind of feel like stopping playing, and coming back to it in a few months.

This game in many ways, I had a thought, models life. So many "deaths" in life... painful.

I've changed my mind again, and am somewhat enjoying it. But I only have one "humanity" left... So I'm about to be hurting unless I get more.

Mainly my issue before was being stuck and not having any idea where to go. My brain was fried.

If you do play, don't neglect your resistances (poison to begin, you will need earliest).

Edit: Really just avoid poison. Resistance doesn't seem to help a lot. Not that it hurts.

This game is very complex. I'm a slow learner. There is so much to it that I haven't touched 70 hours in.

Last edited:
This game is pretty fucking incredible. I was recently turned on to the Dark Souls series by a friend, and after going through the first Dark Souls on both New Game and New Game + 1, I finally picked up Dark Souls II. I did not think it was possible that a sequel could surpass a perfectly awesome original by so much.

What Dark Souls II loses in the artistic, minimalist aspects of Dark Souls I that allowed for so much interpretation and analysis, it makes up for by being a much larger, more cogent game than the original.

Also, anybody thinking about picking up the series should definitely play Dark Souls I before even considering jumping into Dark Souls II. Not so much for plot reasons (although it helps), but because Dark Souls II is an infinite number of times harder than Dark Souls I. There are some things you will simply not be able to do, as well as "puzzles" you will not be able to figure out, without being intimately familiar with the first game. I am under the impression that Dark Souls II was designed for veterans of the Dark Souls series, as some of the bosses I have come up against are more challenging than anything I came across in the original game on New Game + 1.

The second fucking boss you face in this game is The Pursuer. OMFG, why?

Dark Souls 1 is on XBOX Live's "Free Games with Gold" right now, I think.

As for the Pursuer... Roll, roll, roll.. Chop him one at a time or so. A good shield is a help too. And a partner or two of course.

I'm lost in The Gutter. I'm on Drangleic 5 (NG++++) or so and this is the first time I've had such a problem there. I really dislike that map. I have quit and gone back to Halo 4 for now.

Ah... Dark Souls is free in June.

Last edited:
Wondering if you guys can help me. Never played Dark Souls 1 (may get the free download as mentioned) but people rave about Dark Souls 2. Yet to me, it looks like a really shoddy game. The graphics look lacklustre and the gameplay looks stiff. Gameplay videos make it look like something the PS2 was capable of. Im tempted to try it, simply because i love punishingly difficult games (i feel most games now are dumbed down and simply too easy thanks in part to DLC; no one will buy DLC if they cant get through the normal game). So whats the allure for you guys?

As far as RPGs I'm waiting for Final Fantasy XV, but from what I know Dark Souls 2 is cool.

I like DS2, but honestly in retrospect I remember being pissed at it a lot. Often times the way the enemy killed you just felt cheap. PVP advanced over DS1 quite a lot, but DS1 felt more epic. The design of it was beautiful. The levels. I even think the graphics were better.

Each has their good parts. Both are really hard. I prefer the hardness of DS1 (was hard but never felt cheated).

DS2 has a better multiplayer component. Or it seems easier to get into.

The allure? Well, for DS1, it is really difficult, and it is really satisfying when you get through it. That is one thing. And there is just this feeling to it. DS2 lacks the feeling.

DS1 took after games in the Kings Field series. It had its spirit. While DS2, you can tell it is a sequel, but it is hollow- empty, relatively... Though that is kind of the feeling of the first... It makes you feel alone.

DS1 is dark. Erie. Unknown. DS2... Eh.

The director for DS1 was a different guy than DS2.

Last edited: