• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

d vs. l isomers in drugs.

isotopic_parody

Bluelighter
I have to write a paper on enantiomers backing my finding with scientific evidence from some credible source..

I'm hoping to do mine on how the simple variations in the imagery can alter the effects of a specific drug (I was considering dextroamphetamine) but I have no idea of where to find articles and have no subscriptions, I know a lot of you people in ADD do know where to go and/or have subscriptions and if you have any articles lying around that you wouldn;t mind copying into here or giving me referenece notes so I can look it up, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!

TIA!

Not so much what you want, but the best analogy I've come across for explaining differences in activity of optical isomers is...

'Imagine that the receptor is shaped like a right hand glove; a left hand (l isomer) can be made to fit into the right hand glove, but nowhere near as smoothly, or with as much flexibility as a right hand (d isomer)'

Chosen to fit your choice of dexamphetamine etc

thank god that orignal post made sense (alcohol + opiates upon writing it..) Thanks fastandbulbous, I do like the analogy.. but it isn't quite what I was looking for.. I'm sure I'll find it though... :)

In some cases it might be desirable to have only a single isomer, for example where only one enatiomer is active and its twin might confer toxicity on the final product etc.

However, the other side of the coin is that there may also be cases where it is actually desirable to have both isomers. For example, I got the impression from pihkal that alot of the compounds lose their magic when ingested as a single enantiomer.

So in summary there may be cases where it is wanted to "hit two birds with one stone" in a kind of sucker KO punch. On the other hand if you are aiming a pistol you might stand a greater success rate if you keep one eye closed upon squeezing the trigger.

Also there were cases in Tihkal where certain isomers where actually more active than the others. such as in 5Meo-aMT, where I beleive the S isomer was thought to be the active one. And the R isomer seemed to be devoid of most psychedelic activity

I found an interesting study on the ultimate opioid (b-OH;3-Me-fentanyl) and its 4 isomers. Whereas the 2 isomers that consitute the hard talking opioid affinity (ohmefent), the other two were also looked at in this study. Interestingly it was found that one of them can even increase GPCR receptors.

The March of the Penguins.

See the isomerism of thalidomide.

Smyth said:
I found an interesting study on the ultimate opioid (b-OH;3-Me-fentanyl) and its 4 isomers. Whereas the 2 isomers that consitute the hard talking opioid affinity (ohmefent), the other two were also looked at in this study. Interestingly it was found that one of them can even increase GPCR receptors.
This question is probably a bit basic for this thread, but why do you say ohmefentanyl is 'the ultimate opiod'?

because of its high potency and the richness of having 4 active isomers to consider.