• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Cypripedium acaule, Psychoactive Orchid

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
I think I’m onto something here but need some help. These days I’ve decided to start exploring new/rare plants for potentially new psychoactive drugs. I’ve tried quite a few and while many have been psychoactive it’s rare I find one that I feel deserves too much subsequent usage. This is the first plant I’ve tried that I feel has major potential.

Cypripedium species have been known in the North America since settler times and was called “American Valerian.” Quite a few species were used but one, the yellow lady slipper from the NW US/BC was actually picked to endangerment in the 19th century. While that was the most potent, others were said to be used as well. C. acaule being another, found in Great Lakes region and while it’s not a plant to be picked left n right for the reason that these plants are hard to propagate and slow to grow, it’s not yet endangered.

It seems the plant was used to induce sleep, help with relaxation, and if too much is taken headaches and hallucinations can form.

Thankfully this plants rhizomes are extremely potent. If one looks at the few reports around, .5-1g dried roots is a strong dose. There’s a few reports on it on Erowid that sounded promising and my experience mirrors theirs so far.

My first experience recently I took .5g of fresh roots, washed them, then chewed them before holding in my lip like a quid. Within minutes I felt a strong headspace coming on and cautiously spit the quid out at 5min, glad I did.

The best way to describe this stuff, like an opiate mixed with cannabis with dissociative like properties. I got strong ringing ears, felt an opiate/cannabis like effect that had me feeling mighty fine and relaxed. My vision started to get a little weird too and I ain’t some food to try and settle it out, in vain.

The anxiety settled out quick and before long I felt pretty damn good. Noticeable increase in socializing despite simultaneously being tired, had a smile on.

There was vasodilation, and also a strong sensual vibe that mixed together to give a sexy drug that felt like it would be great to just melt into someone else. The first 3hoirs were sleepy, then I started to kind of wake up a bit too. It felt like dreams and reality were melting together, somewhat like my early opiate experiences where you aren’t fully asleep but drifting off to morph land.

Sleep was rough and many dreams were remembered from the shallow sleep. Next morning I felt very refreshed almost like after a psychedelic or dissociative (texts I read said it had better “restorative properties” than valerian).

Days after have been a bit hard on sleep and slight anxiety for a couples reminiscent of my opiate WD days.

I began researching what psychoactive constituents it may have.. The two that seemed to keep popping up were cypripedine and cypritibetquinone A and B.

These are considered phenathraquinones, which sounded familiar. I then remembered that morphine and related alkaloids are phenathrene alkaloids.

Cypripedine is molecularly close to Denbinobin. Another phenathraquinone found in many plants including Cannabis, and is even reputed to be both psychoactive and anti-cancer properties.

Phenathrene can be catalytic oxidized to phenathrequinone. These quinones are known to also have potent anti-cancer properties. Remember these two points.

When we look at phenathrene alkaloids we see codeine can also be oxidized to codeinone in a similar manner. This substance retains 1/3 the opioid activity but more importantly it shows anti-cancer properties that resemble phenathraquinones, such as Denbinobin.

Next I began looking at the molecules of Denbinobin and similar opiates like hydrocodone or oxycodone or morphine, and found a lot of similarities.

When I then look at my own experience and the experience of others, I’m beginning to believe we are looking at a substance with possible opioid activity. A lot of things seem to be lining up, but then again I ain’t no chemist or nothing just a guy that can find connections.

My question here, is codeinone and/or 14-hydroxycodeinone considered a phenathraquinone? If so, even more exciting is these compounds found in an orchids roots may be precursors for even more potent, LEGAL opioids.

Need some help from the smarties on this forum!

-GC

This is interesting. Definitely following. Did you try the one from the PNW, or the one from Great Lakes region?

This is interesting. Definitely following. Did you try the one from the PNW, or the one from Great Lakes region?

Great Lakes. The PNW one is considered endangered and I’d feel too bad using it. I believe PNW is C. pubescens. I’d like to reiterate to anyone reading that these orchids are very hard to propagate and take a long time to grow. Only use in small amounts and preserve what you don’t for future use. Right now I’m trying to create a tincture and also have dried out a little to test the long term storage and stability.

-GC

I had another experience with this not long ago. I’m fairly confident at this point it’s an opioid of sorts. The overall effect I get combined with how I feel in the days after corresponds perfect with how opiates do me these days. One effect I don’t like is that in the days following I tend to have a poor memory which seems to dissipate but has me concerned nonetheless.

This second experience was with the tincture of which I got 2oz of from 3 orchid root bundles. 3 drops was a light noticeable dose but I can tell more will be needed in subsequent experiments. The smell of the tincture is fragrant and sweet, lovely and tastes similar too.

-GC

Last edited:
It's not possible to find this in Europe or ordering to any entheogen/herbal online shop?
sounds amazing.