• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Crippling boredom

Dresden

Bluelighter
I'm in a long term rehab for a meth binge that my family discovered I was on to and have been clean for 2.5 months. They keep us busy here with 7 or 8 hour days of small groups and classes, but tonight's a Friday and I'm so bored wituout meth or rolls or weed even.

How do normal people live like this? Do they just not know any better? #feelingscrewedoverbymyselfandsociety

I would try exercise. Ive found cycling can be pretty awesome. Plus with exercise, particularly aerobic, you get a dopamine and endorphin boost. I believe most drugs, including amphetamines work with dopamine in the brain/body, while endorphin is like our bodies natural opiate. Also video games but they are not as "healthy." You need to find some passion outside of getting messed up. Good Luck man.

Definitely try a wide variety of things until something vibes well with you. I'm not a fan of cycling, but walking, tennis, and lifting weights work well with me. %)

Any exercise that works for you is awesome. :D

Can you go hiking or swimming somewhere? If you are on the coast going to the beach is crazy therapeutic, as is walking in the forest. Finding a good book, watching a good movie, going out with a pretty girl and getting coffee and listen to good music are also favorites of mine. As is biking :)

Yeah if you have a brain chemistry like mine that craves some dopamine boost I would get in to a sport. I found climbing perfect, some of the routes i have done gave me a natural high for days. The feeling of danger and relief after is sort of like the feeling of coming up on a strong pill then plateauing but you don't get a come down and it isn't neurotoxic. Unless you fall off and you bash your head 8(

I walked to the public pool Saturday which was closed for the season and then to a pharmacy to buy a 12 pack of cokes. It was a long walk. The best deal was on 36 cokes, so I got that and then liked to died hauling them back to the apartment. I don't know if I feel any better, but my shoulders are sore now and I sweated a lot.

I like doing meth--though I did overdo it a bit--and resent being institutionalized for it.

I like doing meth--though I did overdo it a bit--and resent being institutionalized for it.

The resentment is normal, but if you know you were overdoing it, don't you at all feel grateful for the second chance at a sober life?

I really don't believe in involuntary institutionalization for drug use, and am sorry you went through that.

This sounds silly, but try day-dreaming. See how far you can get. Then try translating it on paper.
The trouble is, after getting sober, your body and mind will try to find ANYTHING to fill the void. And more times than none, it will. But things like sex, co-dependency, gambling . . . These things are just as destructive.
For me, I daydreamed and wrote. This doesn't work for everyone, but my passion is writing, so it worked for me.
Two other things that help: Though it feels like swallowing nails, eat breakfast. The second feels even worse, and that is exercising. I started buying only one pack of cigarettes a day, forcing me to walk to the nearest gas station (which isn't far at all) almost daily. Because we all know in sobriety, coffee and cigarettes are life-savers.

Very unique and interesting name. I was not under the impression that Tolstoy was a drug user whatsoever.

i hear ya man I've got 6 months and BOREDOM IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS FUCK

i got so bored i even went on Bluelight thats a bad sign

Maybe sobriety just isn't for you...from what you've written in this thread, it seems like your present situation is one that was coerced upon you. If this is accurate, I'd venture to say that there's limited usefulness in suggesting anything, really...any meaningful shift in lifestyle has to be accompanied by a genuine desire to change on the part of the user. Like CH said above, I don't believe in forced institutionalization of people merely for using drugs.