• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Crazy oxycodone tolerance and ridiculously high doses - help?

Big_Al

Greenlighter
Hey, first of all this is my first ever post on BL so I hope I've got the right forum for what I've got to say. I've used BL for reference for years, so I knew it was the right place to come with a question like this:

Basically, last year I became seriously ill and was in hospital for months. At two points doctors told my parents that I may not have survived. Thanks to the luck of getting one of the best thoracic surgeons in the UK and a lot of luck in other areas too, I'm still here and mostly undamaged.

I have a history of opioid addiction stretching back around five years on and off. It all started - as most opioid addicts I know in the UK started - with OTC co-codamol pills (and codeine linctus, if I was ever lucky enough to find a pharmacy that sold it. It's the holy grail of legal OTC opioid products here; the only active ingredient in it is 600mg of codeine per bottle. At the beginning I couldn't get things ordered to the house as I was living with my parents, but when I got my own place I began bulk-ordering codeine linctus at an alarming rate) and cold water extraction. For those not in the UK, here anyone of any age can walk into any high street pharmacy and buy a pack of 32 co-codamol pills for less than the price of a beer and with no questions asked. After a quick CWE that pack of pills is turned into up to 256mg of codeine, depending on how good at CWE you are. To a young person with no tolerance and no previous experience of opioids, that is an absolutely massive, better-than-sex dose. I was hooked just like so many other UK opioid addicts who started the same way.

Fast forward four years or so and I'd been on and off methadone and buprenorphine scripts and had been clean of opioids for nearly six months with no cravings. Then the illness strikes and I'm put on high doses of morphine, fentanyl and oxycodone all at the same time. I won't talk about the illness because it's very uncomfortable for me, but suffice to say it was bad enough that, apart from all the other drugs I'd been placed on, my daily 'as prescribed' painkiller dosage is now one 120mg OxyContin (they do make them, at least certainly in the UK) every twelve hours along with extra instant release oxycodone (I convinced my doctor to cut out the morphine and fentanyl as oxy is my favourite) for breakthrough pain in 'as prescribed' doses of up to 20mg IR. I'm also, if you'll believe it, given extra 20mg OxyContins in case I feel I need to take more than 240mg of it a day for pain that hasn't even existed for the best part of four months.

I just want to know the best way to go about getting off this shit without involving myself with the local addiction treatment service. Without naming names, the place is appalling, irresponsible, slow, bureaucratic and has the habit of dominating your life by threatening to leave you cold turkey on methadone if you miss one of their ridiculous sessions etc. My doctor will help me as much as he can, however he doesn't know I'm abusing the prescriptions and thinks I'm just dependent due to long-term use. I need it to stay that way, as this doctor is one of the rare breeds that will give you virtually anything you ask for (I also get two different benzos, Lyrica, modafinil and Ritalin, all of which I abuse and none of which I remotely need, save the benzos for the odd panic attack).

I'm currently using up to 400mg of oxy in one instant release dose (plus all the 'as prescribed' stuff to keep me out of withdrawal), and even that much doesn't make me nod anymore. I have access to plenty of clonidine and vital signs monitors and have been through worse withdrawals in the past, however the fact I'm still very weak from my illness makes the prospect of withdrawals now extremely scary, as although everyone knows opioid withdrawal isn't life-threatening, in combination with my physical condition I think it may well have the potential to be.

Basically, I just want to know from anyone who's been in a similar situation and managed to get out of it. Any tips, guidance on tapering, herbal medicines that can help, anything at all would be most welcome.

Hopefully look forward to hearing from people :)

As I've posted before...a junkie's tolerance will only be constrained by his finances.

In the early 2000's, before the oxy craze, I could remember on a number of occasions popping back 10-15 of the 160mg oxycontins. They were done away with in the mid 2000's I believe. I would lick the coating off (nasty taste), wait for the pills to dry, then throw them in one of those food chopper blenders. Dope at some points I could slam bundles in one rig.

But the worst is my benzo tolerance right now. It takes 60-100mg to get me anywhere.

Not dick siziing....just showing how bad it gets. I wish I could go back and make none of this happen.

this is the fourth time this week im helping someone answer this question. google phreex guide to narcotic withdrawl.

Mankind, I know what it's like. My benzo tolerance is about the same - I can take absolutely ludicrous doses and feel little more than slight sedation but the strangest thing is that I'm not physically dependent on benzos. I can go for weeks without touching them, as I have done for a long time to avoid dependence and to break tolerance, but now the tolerance seems to remain even though I make sure to only use short half-life benzos.

Pillman, I'm sure you've helped lots of people with tiresome withdrawal questions but if you bothered to read what I took the time to explain was my first ever post, you'd have noticed that I was asking more specifically about the fact I am very physically weak after a long, debilitating illness and how that might affect me during withdrawals - which my post also tells you I have experienced many times in the past. I'm extremely worried about withdrawing in this state and that's why I'm seeking advice from people who have experienced similar things, rather than a general guide to withdrawal as I might say I've been there and got several tee shirts already.

I'll also add for anyone who has actually ready my first post that I'm now in an even worse position as my pain has escalated dramatically in the last week and no one is sure why after several x-rays and an hour-long MRI scan. I've been given hydromorphone on top of the oxy and this is just making everything worse as I know I'll just end up abusing that but at the same time I'm in a lot of pain. I really have no idea what to do, nor do I have the willpower not to abuse the hydromorphone as I lead such an uneventful life due to my illness that pretty much my only pleasure comes from the drugs.

Oh, and by the way, I've read that withdrawal guide plenty of times.

I don't know how fast you hope to get off of it but I personally was on 640 mg of Oxy at one point and I tapered off to about 70 mg a day (I am actually on Dillodid 24 mg) in a few months.

I haven't received lots of action but I recently posted about tips I used to successfully taper.

My experience might differ from yours and it takes a great deal of willpower to achieve but it is my humble opinion that the best way to get off is to taper to minutes amount of dope.

Here is the thread I told you about and good luck with whichever approach you take to get rid of this.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/767060-Sharing-Taper-Tips-and-Experience

Without you having gone into detail about the illness, it sure sounds like an excruciatingly painful experience. I went through an infection of my spine that ate away at a disk between two of my vertebrae (c spine Osteomyelitis) and can relate to wanting off the meds. My advice is to talk to your doctor and first make sure everything is medically supervised. Have him ween you down - he is obviously very compassionate and understanding.

I can relate Big Al. I had a habit of 300-400mg IR oxy a few years back. Plus I would add some Oxycontin or MScontin on most days. I cold turkeyed that shit and it wasnt fun. Your doctor seems willing to help, so scan the boards here for what has worked for people and ask him.

Theres an actual practicing doctor on here somewhere who often gives advice etc...
I cant recall his name though, anyone know who im on about?
If you're more cofortable talking to him in more detail about your situation, im sure he wouldn't mind, and you could do it through private messages?

ouch... all I can say is this one is gonna hurt... good lucky brother.

That is a HUGE dose no doubt, the furthest dose I had from oxycodone was 120mg... and I couldn't even move because of how noddy I was. At that point, 40mg of oxy would get me high.. I don't know why the fuck I did 120mg..please don't ask lol.

Anyways if you're having troubles..here are your BEST alternatives to get OFF oxycodone.

1. In-Patient Rehab
This was also my #1 option, but my insurance didn't cover ANY in patient rehab facilities.

2. Try tapering down. It will be VERY HARD, and it'll take VERY LONG but it's a good alternative.
Downside is, you're going to need a BUNCH of oxy on this one. I mean 400mg? People recommend going down 5-10mg week. But if you have enough oxy, go for it!

3. Methadone/Suboxone
Ok, I'm currently on Methadone. I chose methadone over Subs because 'done is a full agonist opiate, while subs are only partial.
I also hears you get LOTS of cravings on subs compared to methadone.

I hop that helped man.

You'll be surprised how strong methadone is though, someone came into my clinic using 300mg Oxycodone daily and a gram of Heroin daily. Both IV.

40mg of Methadone took all his W/D away. Crazy huh?

this is the fourth time this week im helping someone answer this question. google phreex guide to narcotic withdrawal.

Incase you missed it, this guide is good. There are a few taper methods on here that will work for you.

Wow,that's one hell of a habit!You really need a slow taper to even think about coming off that amount.There are some great posts on here about tapering and I have personally tried one of them,I think it's a sticky.You definitely need some help doing this,cold turkey wouldn't be a good stategy for you IMO.Just look for the thread I think the first month you reduce like 25% but you have such a high dose going you might have to go slower than that.

I would just like to add to all the people who comment about how huge the habit is, etc...

Tolerance in opiate builds so quickly it is quite easy to raise to stupidly high amount. The only and constant limiting factors are your wallet and or access to the drug. Really not trying to start a contest here but to illustrate my point at one time I had access to large quantity at a very low price. The highest I did was 2400 mg (2.4 grams) within 24 hours. I had a hell of a tolerance at that time tho. DO NOT ASSUME THOSE AMOUNT ARE SAFE FOR YOU. THERE ARE MOST LIKELY NOT.

Anyway, I tapered from a daily habit of 640 mg of Oxy, I know personally people who did more than that. It is possible but as pointed out already it takes time and self-control. I still think today it is the best option. Good luck.

I would go see a Subutex/Suboxone doc immediately. If you are in extremely poor health coming off that high of a dose can cause a heart attack or something.

You can begin taking buprenorphine at a regular doctors office. You don't have to go to an 'addiction clinic' like usually is the case with methadone.

You will not get high at all off taking buprenorphine with your tolerance level. Buprenorphine will not help with pain because its ceiling effect is too low for you. (according to my doc its ceiling is about the equivalent of 15mg of morphine IV). It will however keep 90%+ of the hellish WDs away.

Also a benzo might be helpful concurrently with the buprenorphine if your doc will allow it (many won't).

Last edited: