• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Considering diphenhydramine trip. Thoughts?

Haha exactly my thought. While I haven't done it myself, I figure it's probably highly interesting, but a very risky undertaking considering the hallucinations you experience.

I will never understand why most people (especially here on bluelight) seem to think the only reason to take drugs is to feel awesome. It doesn't have to be pleasant to be worth it in my opinion. I would prefer having an intense nightmare that has me wake up covered in sweat over not dreaming at all. This discussion has taken place a hundred times and never has there been any understanding. There's always the knuckleheaded anti-delirium front who will not simply disadvise doing it, but who will also eventually call people who do it names.

If you have read up on this and have plenty of experience with other mind altering substances like psychedelics or dissociatives, I would say go for it. Be aware of the health risks, have a trip sitter present (!!!!) and enjoy the show (or endure it). Most importantly let us know how it went. It will most definitely not be the hedonistic/masturbatory type of drug experiences.

EDIT: I have experienced delirium hallucinations before, but only briefly and I had amnesia for most of the experience, so I can't comment on that. But getting scared over a million spiders storming my room sounds like something I would love to have been through. Just like I am glad for the hallucinations I had during all my psychotic breaks (the worst: being eaten by a fungus and seeing my body macerate away, before and while telling my family and friends goodbye). Some people won't even go near anything that scares or disgusts them, I seem oddly attracted to some (!) of it.

I can't say this doesn't sound tempting. Simply for the novelty aspect of it, being able to remind myself of it, getting to know another state of consciousness, being able to feel empathy towards those who have to endure it involuntarily, there are plenty of reasons. Definitely not to have a good time though. And it's not like you won't get through it either.

Is it possible you had a bit too much? I have definitely read reports of people who have taken some pleasure in it and who have not described the sides as severe as you do.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=32271

Excellent report, sounds a lot like a major nightmare actually, but this guy isn't whining about it.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=76921
This guy actually "thoroughly enjoyed" the entire experience, probably because he also "likes dreaming so much".

I'm pretty sure that this can go well depending on lots of factor, but you should never decide to do it because you want it to go well. From all I've heard in the past the experience has a high chance to resemble a nightmare. There's potential for serious consequences on the social level, so a trip sitter is mandatory.

Regarding the claims that this never can be introspective and that the hallucinations are purely random (which many people ironically also say about their dreams, D'OH):

Interesting perspective there crOOk. I gotta say, you strike me as one of the very (VERY) few people who could get something "positive" (or at least meaningful) out of the experience. You seem to be a fan of bizarre altered states, and I am too...but the DPH space isn't just bizarre, it's downright evil. For me personally, I will never touch it again and I'm A-OK with that. I don't really think there is much potential for introspection in this at all, since it gives you extreme amnesia, similar to a dream. You'll have brief moments of lucidity but for the most part you'll be extremely confused (if not terrified) and your memory will be a blank state.

That's why I have such a distaste for DPH - for me, the delirium and hallucinations were the only "interesting" part of the experience. They were scary and convincing, but still more real and immersive than anything psys and dissos can give you. For me, what gave it the NOPE NOPE NOPE factor was the horrible body load...yes I agree that I perhaps took too much, but I have never endured such a hellish body load on any drug. There are plenty of reports out there that confirm this.

But I gotta say, you have an interesting, ballsy, hard head perspective on this and I respect that a lot. I would never recommend DPH to another human being, but if you must, always start slow and work your way up and have a sitter (of course, I don't think I need to mention this to you seeing as you seem to know what you're doing, I'm just saying as general advice to anyone). I had no sitter present during my DPH trip and I consider myself extremely lucky that nothing went horribly wrong.

Now, my question is, why can't they make a drug that gives you convincing hallucinations a la DPH or datura, but instead of giving you horrible nightmareish visions, you hallucinate awesome really cool shit?? Plus no body load. It would be like lucid dreaming in a drug form. Now THAT would be something I'd consider trying :)