• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Confessions of a white-collar heroin addict

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Confessions of a white-collar heroin addict: Meet the corporate high flyer who manages to hold down a $100,000-a-year job while shooting up the deadly drug every day

A business analyst who earns $100,000-a-year is hiding a chronic heroin addiction from his boss and colleagues.

Seth Porter*, 39, spends his days working at a leading Australian trading company - crunching numbers and advising senior management on business strategy - as well as managing a heroin habit he has had for 20 years.

Mr Porter, from an Australian city, injects himself at least once a day and started using the highly addictive opiate at just 19 after experimenting with other drugs.

2EFA374400000578-3342179-image-a-6_1449030150505.jpg

'I didn't think about addiction or overdose when I first used. I had taken other drugs in the past like speed, ecstasy and acid. I was always taught that they were addictive and dangerous and I found that to be a lie,' he told Daily Mail Australia.

'So when a friend encouraged me to try heroin I didn't really think twice. But I obviously found out that this was the drug that was incredibly addictive.'

Mr Porter has been using since he was 19 years old and has always managed to maintain his professional life.

But his drug habit almost claimed his life in the early years of his addiction.

'I've overdosed once, it was very early on – I would have been 19 or 20,' Mr Porter said.

'I just remember using and then the next thing I knew I had paramedics over me with a resuscitation machine.

'The person I was with had called an ambulance. I don't know if I would have died or not if my friend hadn't called them.'

2EFA544700000578-3342179-image-a-2_1449030117479.jpg

Despite the near-death experience, Mr Porter took heroin again two days later.

'I've been addicted since I was 19 but I've always managed to be pretty successful professionally,' Mr Porter told Daily Mail Australia.

'I live between worlds and I can navigate that distance.

'I've done it for 20 years - I somehow manage to function. I'm just a normal person who happens to have a massive weakness in heroin.

'I don't want to glorify heroin, I would be a much better person without it. It's not like I'm saying: "Hey look at me, I'm a junkie and I can work a decent full-time job".

'I despise being an addict. It's like a voice in the back of your head that won't leave you alone. It doesn't go away, it won't stop.'

Dr Mark Daglish, who is the director of addiction psychiatry at Royal Brisbane Hospital, said it was rare to come across a high-functioning drug addict.

'We almost never see people like this in our clinics in the public sector. We do see the ones who try to be functioning and fail, and the ones who get caught,' Dr Daglish said.

But Mr Porter has defied the odds.

The addict claims he has never been unemployed for long periods and he has never been sacked or made redundant.

In fact, he is considered so important to his employer that he will be given a big Christmas bonus this year because he is 'so valuable to the company'.

'I'd like to say I won't spend the whole bonus on heroin, but I probably will,' Mr Porter said.

Incredibly Mr Porter sometimes sneaks off to the toilets at work and uses.

'Occasionally I have used at work. I try not to, but it does happen. Thank god for floor-to-ceiling locked doors,' he said.

'It's amazing how I have gotten away with being high at work for such a long time.'

But Mr Porter was nearly caught out earlier this year.

He was in a two-hour meeting and had used heavily that morning.

'By the end of the meeting I was coming down – when you're coming down really hard from heroin it's almost impossible to keep your eyes open. I nodded off and my boss noticed,' Mr Porter said.

'I blamed it on chronic migraines and my boss bought it. He told me to take two days off – with pay. So I went home and used.'

Mr Porter does not know how he manages to function with such a deep addiction when so many others fail.

2EFA543F00000578-3342179-image-a-5_1449030138632.jpg

2EF8E1B900000578-3342179-image-a-5_1449035643205.jpg

'But what separates me from the typical addict is I genuinely enjoy working,' he said.

'It helps that I look the part - I dress well, I wear reading glasses and I have a good vocabulary.

'I also have a genuine interest in things like business and politics. I think that has always helped me speak well in interviews and come across as somebody you would want to hire.

'I have always been able to convince people that I am smarter than I am.

'The constant fear I have is that when you come across genuinely brilliant people, they don't buy my nonsense for a second, they see straight through it.

'Thankfully those people are few and far between in the upper-middle management levels of Australian business.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...b-shooting-deadly-drug-day.html#ixzz3tIweeTBf

There are so many more undercover heroin addicts than people realize. I used and excelled in the restaurant business for nearly thirteen years. I worked my way through the ranks up to executive chef, all the while getting high (well not really getting high after a while, but just maintaining) I used for fifteen years (I say fifteen instead of seventeen because I had a couple years of sobriety in there) and it wasn't until the last four years that I really just gave up on life. If I had maintained my job, and continued to make headway in the restaurant business I am fairly certain I could have continued indefinitely and risen even farther. The problem is being caught and the legal trouble that follows...or the lifestyle. Things happened in my life that caused me at the age of 28 to not care anymore about working or really living for that matter.

How many people that are addicted/dependent on opiates think they could maintain a full time job and family life if they always had their opiates and never had to go sick? I wish I could, but mental health problems took me down.

There are a lot of drug addicts out there who can balance life obligations like this guy. The users who fully embrace "The Life" are a minority of overall users, I think.

This dude is somewhat unusual though in that I don't think many of the people who are pulling down six figures a year are abusing something as "street" as heroin, although I bet there are a lot of opiate addicts/abusers. I would think something like oxycodone or something would be more popular.

Dr Mark Daglish, who is the director of addiction psychiatry at Royal Brisbane Hospital, said it was rare to come across a high-functioning drug addict.

'We almost never see people like this in our clinics in the public sector. We do see the ones who try to be functioning and fail, and the ones who get caught,' Dr Daglish said.

But Mr Porter has defied the odds.

The third sentence is a fallacious leap from the first and second. Just because it is rare for an addiction psychiatrist to come across a "high-functioning" person with a "drug" (which, in this case, clearly means a drug that is not caffeine, alcohol, or tobacco) addiction does not mean that these people are rare. The obvious conclusion is that addiction psychiatrists don't see a lot of this type of person because this type of person isn't likely to go see an addiction psychiatrist.

^ yeah I thought the same thing. They don't see people like him because people like him can function fine and thus don't see a problem with their use, and consequently don't seek help for it.

There are so many more undercover heroin addicts than people realize. I used and excelled in the restaurant business for nearly thirteen years. I worked my way through the ranks up to executive chef, all the while getting high (well not really getting high after a while, but just maintaining) I used for fifteen years (I say fifteen instead of seventeen because I had a couple years of sobriety in there) and it wasn't until the last four years that I really just gave up on life. If I had maintained my job, and continued to make headway in the restaurant business I am fairly certain I could have continued indefinitely and risen even farther. The problem is being caught and the legal trouble that follows...or the lifestyle. Things happened in my life that caused me at the age of 28 to not care anymore about working or really living for that matter.

How many people that are addicted/dependent on opiates think they could maintain a full time job and family life if they always had their opiates and never had to go sick? I wish I could, but mental health problems took me down.

It's interesting that you say at age 28. It's been quite a similar story for me however my issue has been with alcohol which although is not quite like heroin is still a downer nonetheless.

Right after I finished my masters and got a few jobs in the corporate sector I just wasn't happy even though I built up the skills to get a high paying job. I found alcohol to be a better fit and in the end, my alcoholism has been the worst it ever has been the last 3 - 4 years. It's beyond sad.

Am trying to get back into it. Fingers crossed it all works out.

It will if you are willing to do whatever it takes to stop drinking noonoo.

For me it was an incredibly bad breakup in which everything I own vanished before my eyes and I was pretty much left homeless. I just stopped caring. At that time I was getting job offers from so many different restaurants to work under different chefs with the possibility of taking over the kitchen at some point....but I had lost my passion, my muse, my self worth. If I had retained those things who knows where I would be right now. I was making 70k a year with profit sharing as a sous chef in syracuse...and in florida I was an executive chef. My hard work and determination turned a restaurant around from only taking less than a thousand in the till, to bringing in 10k a week. I just got burned out....I was on suboxone, but instead of habitually using, I habitually worked...its an addiction unto itself. If I just had my heroin and some benzos for stress I could have probably opened my own place....I would have called it "liquor up front, poker in the rear!"