• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Comfort Medication Detox vs. Sub Assisted Detox

Ready2LiveAgain

Greenlighter
Looking for some insight from people who have done both the Sub assisted detox (with or without other comfort meds), and just a straight comfort med assisted detox from Heroin/Fentanyl (let’s be real, it’s likely almost entire Fent these days).

I’m about to go back into a 7 day detox, and I’m going to have the option of having a sub assisted detox with comfort meds (I.E. light benzos, clonidine, gabapentin, nausea, and sleep aid), or a detox with only the comfort meds.

Although it’s a very quick sub taper over those 7 days just as a crutch, ideally I’d really like to avoid it all together because I’d really like to be able to get Vivitrol as soon as possible upon completing detox. I feel that my chances of avoiding relapse increases greatly the sooner I am able to get Vivitrol.

If I go the sub assisted route it could be up to an additional 7-10 days after completing detox before I can be eligible for Vivitrol.

If I comfort meds only, I can likely get it a day or two after.

So I’m just curious if anyone has any insight on how much more painful/difficult it is without the Sub crutch, as that’s the only way I’ve ever personally done it.

Any and all feedback appreciated as always.

Last edited:
The comfort meds you listed should make the withdrawals pretty painless. Not a whole lot worse than a common cold.

The harder part will probably be dealing with your desire to use opioids again, especially in the first few weeks, which seems to be your bigger concern as well. I think the 7 days of subs is mostly just to keep people from fleeing treatment, or maybe for extremely high dose detox . I'd say if you can make it without the subs, you'd be better off if vivitrol works for you.

Personally I'd try to get off all opioids and then work with a program/counselor/support group to help manage the cravings. I'm not really familiar with vivitrol, but I was actually pretty glad to get off opioids, and despite having a few relapses, they haven't lasted longer than a few days. Benzos is a different story for me, so maybe if they had a vivitrol for benzos I'd probably consider it.

One thing I'd also consider tho is coming off vivitrol or possible side effects. Not sure if it causes WDs when stopping, or leads to suicidal thoughts possibly.

Thanks for the reply Mafioso. I can almost promise it will be worse than a common cold even with those comfort meds, but if the detox dispenses liberally and aren’t med nazis like some places I agree that it will really help.

I think toughing it out with the sub crutch is worth it if I can do it. Cleaner that way IMO, and as mentioned should be able to get Vivitrol sooner as all opiates must be clear from your system before administered. Due to subs long half life than can take 7-10 days, and those 7-10 days I’ve found are hell in terms of cravings.

Vivitrol does not have any withdrawal, and no depression/suicidal thoughts when coming off to my knowledge.

Ultimately I think sucking it up and not using the sub crutch is the way to go. Just gotta man up and get through it!

I don't think quick sub "tapers" are very effective. Try doing it with just the comfort meds. Otherwise you'll leave the detox before the real withdrawal starts