• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Cold Turkey or Taper Down?

Michael_25

Bluelighter
Hey all. I've got a small oxy habit (40mg a day) and want to come off the stuff, as it's getting too expensive. Do you recommend a taper at this low dose, or just go cold turkey? Thanks, guys.

at that dose, i would def go cold turkey. the withdrawal will be minor. some diarrhea that can be fixed with lope. drink some kava to sleep if you need it. dont take antihistamines to sleep they will only make you more restless, ime. you shouldnt have too bad of a time coming off

At that dose, it's entirely up to you. There will definitely be some discomfort though it shouldn't be too severe. If you're worried you can do a rapid taper by halving your dose each day or every other day.

Look up the Thomas Recipe, it's great for this situation. If you can get some benzos they'll help immensely but if you can't get a prescription or OTC sleep aid. Herbal options like Kava Kava can help with the anxiety as well.

Best of luck to you, really hope you can not only get through this but also never have to do it again. Detox gets worse and worse every time.

cold turkey, just get some benzo's and some clonodine, you'll be fine.

I recently went cold turkey from a 200-250mg 2-4x/day iv heroin habit and though extremely unpleasant it did render me completely unable to function and with support from family and some sleeping pills from my doctor (just be honest with them and their willing to give you a short supply) I got through it, clean a month now. 40mg/day of oxy is not a monstrous habit and you should be able to get through a cold turkey without major withdrawal though it will still be unpleasant. I don't think it's worth tapering from that but yeah getting your hands on some benzos to deal with the anxiety and help you sleep would be good. If you do taper make it fast, you shouldn't need to do it over too long a time period. Good decision to get off these though and just focus on how happy you will be to be clean at the end of this.

Stay strong.

It's up to you of course, but cold turkey shouldn't be too unpleasant. It's certainly a position I would have envied a while ago when I was using a lot of heroin.
As others have said, get some loperamide and maybe some benzos (diazepam's the best IMO). Go easy on the benzos tho as kicking them is harder than opiate withdrawal. High doses of valerian root is also helpful for the anxiety and insomnia, and is less addictive than benzos.
It can't hurt to taper though, it's up to you.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the help and support, guys! I think I may need to taper, as I'm in grad-school at the moment and have assignments due here and there. They would be harder to complete when going cold turkey. Either way, I'm going to make it! :)

While it's doable absolutely to do CT there's nothing wrong with doing a mini taper over a few days to minimize discomfort. Whatever makes OP feel more confident. Like I said, just half your dose daily or every other day till you get to 0.

Hey Michael, I've white knuckled many rattles, heroin, benzodiazepines, methadone. Imo taper it. The easier you can make it on yourself the better. Opiate wd's have a way of hanging on, but you will come out the other side. Stay strong mate. Take it ez, always. And Fuck opiates.