• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Cocaine while on small beta blocker dose, use clonidine?

RTrain

Bluelighter
Hey,

So want to do a small amount of coke, pretty good stuff I am told. I have experience with it but haven't used in about 3 or 4 years.

I want to take it but I am on a beta blocker for slightly high blood pressure and heart rate. It controls the issues well and I only take 1/2 the recommended starting dose for an adult.

Now I want to do the coke but I've read it can be a bit dangerous if you are on a beta blocker because the beta receptors that are being held in check but the alpha receptor for the heart are still being fired up from the coke. Which can be a bad thing for heart rhythm. I should note I have used coke before while in the same dose of the beta blockers, but I just wasn't aware of this issue or I probably wouldn't have. Regardless, it didn't cause me a problem those few times I did it before while on the B blocker. BTW, the beta blocker in question is nebivolol (trade name Bystolic) its relatively new and has some very mild vasodilation action and is also very cardiac selective (i.e. it doesn't affect other beta receptors in the body, like Propanolol does).

Now I am not overly concerned about doing the coke with the beta blockers but its still in the back of my mind. One thought that has come to my mind is I have some clonidine I got my hands on. Being an alpha blocker would it be a good way to balance off the risk? I know its a pretty specific question but if anyone has insight or experience with that it'd be appreciated.

Also, anyone take a beta blocker regularly and do cocaine on the regular as well, without any ill effects? My dose is so pretty damn small and I'd only do small bumps of coke when I do it for a little pick me up. I have no cardiac history issues just family history of hypertension so Dr recommends the B blocker even though I am pretty young (about 30 now). thanks to anyone that can provide some USEFUL information.

I don't take a beta blocker for heart issues or blood pressure, I take propranolol for anxiety as needed, 40 mgs. I've used it a few times when my heart was racing from stims to relax my heart rate. I'm hoping there's nothing dangerous about that, because I wasn't aware of the alpha receptor still being fired up. So I have a question to add to this thread, is it dangerous to use a beta blocker to calm your racing heart after coke or Molly? I'm sorry I can't shed any light on your issue, OP. I'm just concerned about my own use of the beta blocker to lower my heart rate. Thanks for letting me latch onto your thread with a new question!

I've taken and understand beta blockers. How much do you plan on doing? I don't recommend an 8 ball or anything, but a small(er) amount shouldn't hurt anything.
One of the problems with beta blockers is that if you are already in a hypertensive crisis, like Od'ing, and you try to stop it with beta blockers, it can cause an alpha blockade, which jacks you up bad.
Long story short, if it's a small(er) amount, should be no problem. Use at your own risk.

There are better ways to lower an already racing heart due to stimulants. If your heart is speeding due to stimulants, don't use beta blockers. That's not what they are meant for. Use benzodiazepines if you can or goto hospital. Beta blockers can cause an od.

I don't take a beta blocker for heart issues or blood pressure, I take propranolol for anxiety as needed, 40 mgs. I've used it a few times when my heart was racing from stims to relax my heart rate. I'm hoping there's nothing dangerous about that, because I wasn't aware of the alpha receptor still being fired up. So I have a question to add to this thread, is it dangerous to use a beta blocker to calm your racing heart after coke or Molly? I'm sorry I can't shed any light on your issue, OP. I'm just concerned about my own use of the beta blocker to lower my heart rate. Thanks for letting me latch onto your thread with a new question!

Apparently amphetamines like molly and Adderall and meth are fine to take with beta blockers but cocaine is different because of how it acts on the alpha receptors. Sorry I was late to get back to this, but definitely done molly a several times and Adderall once or twice on the beta blocker and its fine, actually prefer not having the stupid racing heart from it, but still get all the good stuff. Still use benzos with most stims b/c they give me some anxiety regardless of the heartrate not being so high, it still goes up and I am one who is always aware of my heart, so benzos can keep me from worrying.

I've taken and understand beta blockers. How much do you plan on doing? I don't recommend an 8 ball or anything, but a small(er) amount shouldn't hurt anything.
One of the problems with beta blockers is that if you are already in a hypertensive crisis, like Od'ing, and you try to stop it with beta blockers, it can cause an alpha blockade, which jacks you up bad.
Long story short, if it's a small(er) amount, should be no problem. Use at your own risk.

Ya exactly was my point, I am by no means doing an 8 ball, I would be doing like .1 g lines of what is decent but not anything crazy good. I am pretty sensitive to stims so I always take it easy, and usually have some downers on board or alcohol (majority of my coke experiences have late night, very intoxicated and people start handing out lines, I'm sure we all know how that goes, coke heads want other people in on the fun and love to share, its not like dope). I honestly have drink a decent amount, take 2 mg Xanax a day and have a heroin/fentanyl addiction (usually off/on with subs but been running strong recently). With all those downers I figure they kinda offset the coke and make it not so dangerous or give me anxiety, which if I did coke alone would surely do, or in my current life I'd have a few beers and up my Xanax dose, or take the valiums that're too damn pricey so I only pop a like twice a week.

There are better ways to lower an already racing heart due to stimulants. If your heart is speeding due to stimulants, don't use beta blockers. That's not what they are meant for. Use benzodiazepines if you can or goto hospital. Beta blockers can cause an od.

I agree with that, benzos would be the first line of treatment in emergency care for a stimulant OD. I believe alpha blockers would be next, especially w/ coke, where beta blockers are contraindicated. In the case of a stim od they might not know what was taken and so that is why the emergency services (ambulance or ER) give benzos, which usually are enough. Most likely you'd get Midazolam IM, as Valium supplies are short in many areas for emergency services(hospitals usually have them but actually prefer Ativan and can more easily establish an IV line to administer it) and you can give Midazolam IM, but not Ativan(the other possible benzo an ambulance or ER will administer). So ambulance EMTs and medics like not having to run a line on someone freaking out on stims, though they very well might have great veins from hypertension, if they can just stay still for a minute or 2.

I wonder if alcohol has any effects on alpha receptors, I wouldn't think opiates or benzos would as they are pretty exclusive to what they effect, opiate receptors and gaba-a respectively.

Last edited:
Personally, in a worst case scenario, alcohol is a no no also. I went to hospital once with a heart rate over 220bpm, and at on point they were giving me IV Valium and IV dilaudid. That was one hell of a worst case scenario, but an example none the less. Minor drunk and a few lines (should) be fine. No overkill, or let's go get some more shit. You sound mature enough, that you will be fine. Just remember, if shit gets out of hand, make the call. For future refrence, get some benzos for a just in case situation.