• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Clinical Trial Shows Alcohol Use Disorder Recovery Can Start Without Sobriety

Joey

Bluelighter

Harm reduction treatment helped people experiencing homelessness and alcohol use disorder reduce their drinking and improve their health-even if they didn't quit drinking alcohol.

In a randomized clinical trial, a research team led by Washington State University psychology professor Susan Collins studied more than 300 people from three Seattle homeless shelters and programs. Participants were randomly assigned to four groups receiving different services: the first group received behavioral harm reduction treatment, which is a form of collaborative counseling that does not require sobriety or drinking reduction, plus an anti-craving medication called naltrexone; the second had the counseling and a placebo; the third, the counseling alone; and the fourth served as a control group receiving regular services.

All three groups that received the behavioral harm reduction treatment over a three-month period saw more improvement than the control group—with the most improvement in the group that had both the counseling and the anti-craving medication

Collins said that traditional alcohol treatment programs that demand abstinence fail to help many people experiencing homelessness and alcohol use disorder. By some estimates, people who experience chronic homelessness and alcohol use disorder have, on average, undergone alcohol treatment 16 times in their lives.

"Oftentimes, these folks are labeled 'treatment failures,' but we started to realize after many years of doing this work, maybe it's us, the treatment system that's failing them, more than the other way around," said Collins. "What we do with harm reduction treatment is try to meet people where they are at. Instead of falling into this paternalistic, advice-giving approach that turns people off, we try to support them in reaching their own goals."

Many of the study participants had multiple goals, only some of which involved reducing drinking. As might be expected, the most common goal was finding more stable housing, but other goals included re-connecting with family, finding work and engaging in hobbies they once enjoyed.

While this study included people experiencing homelessness, the findings also hold potential for other people with alcohol use disorder, Collins said.

"This approach has the potential to help anybody who would like to change their alcohol use but might not be ready or able to stop entirely," said Collins. "We can do treatment in an incremental way that might be more sustainable and less demoralizing than going through these cycles, where people feel if they aren't able to stop drinking, they can't start recovery or they aren't good enough for our treatment system. Instead, it is our definition of recovery and our treatment system that needs to change."

glad to see people are starting to realize that recovery is not black and white, not so cut and dry!

also did not know they give narcan to alcoholics to reduce cravings... weird

nice post, thanks for sharing

also I believe naltrexone is different than narcan. The former is a long lasting opioid antagonist that is supposed to reduce drug cravings by acting on the endogenous opioid system (which is obviously involved in the reward system) vs narcan (naloxone) which is a short acting opioid antagonist meant strictly to stop overdoses

I've been trying to fuck off my binge drinking problem without complete abstinence for a bit now.

Results mixed. Mind, that's without any external input/help which may be the cause of the failure.

Hold on....not a complete failure. I've gotten much, much, much, much better at being able to have only a drink or two (glass of wine or pint) in a single sitting without it turning into a sunrise mission.

As I've said many a time: I think moderate use is a better and harder to achieve goal* than abstinence and that's what I'm aiming for.

*--For me....you do you.

Reactions: SKL
nice post, thanks for sharing

also I believe naltrexone is different than narcan. The former is a long lasting opioid antagonist that is supposed to reduce drug cravings by acting on the endogenous opioid system (which is obviously involved in the reward system) vs narcan (naloxone) which is a short acting opioid antagonist meant strictly to stop overdoses
That's right. Naltrexone can be given in pill form, to be taken daily, or as a once a month injection, in which case it is commonly called Vivitrol.

I've been trying to fuck off my binge drinking problem without complete abstinence for a bit now.

Results mixed. Mind, that's without any external input/help which may be the cause of the failure.

Hold on....not a complete failure. I've gotten much, much, much, much better at being able to have only a drink or two (glass of wine or pint) in a single sitting without it turning into a sunrise mission.

As I've said many a time: I think moderate use is a better and harder to achieve goal* than abstinence and that's what I'm aiming for.

*--For me....you do you.
Same here with marijuana

taking extended breaks helps a lot but committing to never smoking it again for the rest of my life?? No sir, I have commitment issues lol

i can easily turn down weed when offered by friends whereas I used to never do that. It’s much more on my terms now than it used to be. But ofc Im never perfect ;)

I'm a 61yr old alcoholic who has been drinking since age 12. I've been to inpatient rehab 7 times, outpatient 6 times, thousands of AA meetings, etc.

My longest period of abstinence was about 2 1/2 yrs. I've also used&abused many other drugs, both with and without alcohol.

Purely by accident I have finally found a sweet spot wherein I practice controlled drinking and controlled drug use. I take about 2g of kratom daily(in the am). I smoke a bowl or 2 of weed and drink 2 or 3 beers every evening. I also dabble in opiates, amphetamines, and psilocybin, but never for more than a week straight.

I've done this with no ill effects for about 3 yrs now. I have no idea why this is working for me and I am not advocating for anyone who is clean&sober to try it. I'm just saying that it works for me and I'm sticking to it.