• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Clean for a month, but need major surgery now.

jorck

Greenlighter
I've been off opiates for a month and finally started to feel better after 3 years of constant use. Today I found out my old kidney issues came back so I need a major surgery. Is there any way to get through this without opiates? Has anyone done it before? It's an open surgery with a 5 day hospital stay time so they'll probably put me on morphine for a few days and then give me something strong to take home. I really can't relapse. Any tips?

Honestly, you should consult your doctor about weighing your options. Pain management is critical, but pain is temporary and, well, you know the struggle of addiction so I won't elaborate on how that feels. Your doctor will likely still prescribe opiates for pain management, as it would be necessary, but he would likely keep a very close eye on the dosage and what not and ensure you are weaned off with little withdrawal potential.

The fact is, left untreated, pain itself is a cause for relapse as much as the prescription of painkillers is. If your doctor is aware of your recovery, he will take that into perspective and be better able to treat you.

Just remember throughout that you will have to remain strong. That is a big Part of it, and keep in mind how one month clean is when you started feeling better, compared to the three years you struggled with using. Post-surgery medicating is changed when an a recovering addict is the patient, but your post-op doctor is the best person to talk to you about this, and may have even dealt with it before.

I am a stimulant addict, with years clean and I have relapsed, so I do not know firsthand your exact struggle, but I did date a heroin addict for a long while and watched her through recovery, relapse and recovery again.

I hope this helps somewhat.

I was in almost your exact situation so if you'd like to chat feel free to message me.

While in rehab and two weeks sober from heroin and benzos (still feeling like ass from benzo withdrawal at this point) I went in for emergency surgery and had my gall bladder removed. I was given IV Toridal pre- and post-op. During surgery they must give you opiate drugs and a knock-out drug like propofol to keep you mentally and physically unconscious. My surgery was laproscopic, so I had 4 holes in my belly which hurt like a bastard after surgery. But I went through it without any post-operative opiates, and while still going through some rough benzo withdrawal.

I was given gabapentin and baclofen for a couple weeks, but nothing strong. Other than that I took a bunch of ibuprofen and APAP.

Not sure how serious your surgery is pain-wise but in the circumstance of surgery it is totally understandable to take opiate painkillers. Be honest with your doctor and they will be able to provide honest feedback - especially if you tell them what is going on up front. I assure you, they will have dealt with something like this before and will probably have pain management doctors who can meet with you as well.

If you are prescribed opioids, be sure to have someone else hold them for you and only give you what you need. Regardless of how strong you are in your recovery, the temptation isn't worth it! My surgery was over 8 months ago and I'm still sober, so know that it can be done.

Best of luck to you and please report back!

Just an idea since I don't know how extensive the surgery will be-why don't you ask your surgeon for non-opiate pain relievers at discharge? If you're in patient, then dosing is on a schedule, you're not "using". You literally can't take more than prescribed. If you're still in pain when you are discharged, I agree with Project Will, have someone hold your meds.
Stay safe and I hope your surgery goes well.

That's a tough situation! I'm glad to hear you're clean and want to stay that way, it's a challenge for sure.. Kudos :)

Unless you have a high pain tolerance you won't be able to get through this without painkillers. In fact, being in pain is rough on your body and can slow down the healing process. Not to mention you're more likely to relapse on your DOC. Tell your doctor about your situation and he/she will help you find the best pain management plan. If you do end up using opiates get a family member or friend to hold them for you so you aren't tempted to get high.

If you're dead set on not using opiates there are other ways to manage the pain although they won't be as effective, like NSAIDs or as another poster mentioned gabapentin. Good luck and I hope your surgery and recovery go smoothly :)