• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Chronic pain and tripping?

I'm pretty sure that I have a cracked rib and I am not gonna let that stop me from tripping.

Not sure if it will work for you but green tea does wonders for my bladder. I dont know the exact mechanism but it is somehow bladder friendly/curative. You loose nothing for trying. Brew 2 or 3 green teas and drink peacefully on your crises days and tell us if it worked. Maybe you could help other people this way
Green tea hasn't helped - when I tried it, it made things worse! I've tried many things, and things are better than they were, so I trust what I'm doing, along with the medical professionals treating me. I'm specifically not looking for advice on my condition itself, if that's okay please.

I have interstitial cystitis. It stems from a hypertonic pelvic floor, which, in turn, is probably caused or at least aggravated by my IBS-C (which I have reason to believe may actually be SIBO, but that’s going off on a tangent here.) The thing that brought me out of a HORRIFIC flare that I was experiencing around June of last year was weekly bladder catheters of lidocaine, heparin and saline, hold for half an hour then pee it out. It was such a hassle but it got the job done. Urologist said they saw scarring on the bladder walls; too many successive UTIs over the years, plus overuse of antibiotics, were probably a contributing factor.

ANYWAY. I have used shrooms as pain relief/antidepressants many times, no issues. I have not used LSD since the onset of my IC symptoms, but I do plan to try it. I was taking Amitriptyline before (10mg only, I still have a bunch of it) but I stopped it in order to get pregnant. Oh and I saw a pelvic floor PT so that I could learn exercises to help stretch out my pelvic floor. And if I’m regular (not constipated) and not as stressed my symptoms are less. But the triggers for my symptoms are the same as what triggers my fibromyalgia, migraines etc: alcohol, stress, too much caffeine, too less sleep, etc etc you know the drill. It’s the same for any chronic pain/chronic illness patient, really, and usually most of us have more than one of these things cuz they overlap.

TL;DR: Shrooms helped me. Jury’s out on LSD.

I have interstitial cystitis. It stems from a hypertonic pelvic floor, which, in turn, is probably caused or at least aggravated by my IBS-C (which I have reason to believe may actually be SIBO, but that’s going off on a tangent here.) The thing that brought me out of a HORRIFIC flare that I was experiencing around June of last year was weekly bladder catheters of lidocaine, heparin and saline, hold for half an hour then pee it out. It was such a hassle but it got the job done. Urologist said they saw scarring on the bladder walls; too many successive UTIs over the years, plus overuse of antibiotics, were probably a contributing factor.

ANYWAY. I have used shrooms as pain relief/antidepressants many times, no issues. I have not used LSD since the onset of my IC symptoms, but I do plan to try it. I was taking Amitriptyline before (10mg only, I still have a bunch of it) but I stopped it in order to get pregnant. Oh and I saw a pelvic floor PT so that I could learn exercises to help stretch out my pelvic floor. And if I’m regular (not constipated) and not as stressed my symptoms are less. But the triggers for my symptoms are the same as what triggers my fibromyalgia, migraines etc: alcohol, stress, too much caffeine, too less sleep, etc etc you know the drill. It’s the same for any chronic pain/chronic illness patient, really, and usually most of us have more than one of these things cuz they overlap.

TL;DR: Shrooms helped me. Jury’s out on LSD.
Ah man, I'm sorry you had to navigate the hassle of catheters, I'm so glad the flare ended though. Bad flares can be absolutely hellish. Do you mind if I ask what exercises your physio gave you, please...? I had two sessions with one (she did an assessment and apparently I have a tight pelvic floor which might be contributing a lot?), and it felt really promising but then she quit and I haven't found a new one yet. I'm doing some stretches and internal work she showed me still. I'm still trying to find my triggers - caffeine, alcohol, and PMS are the only consistent things I've found so far. So frustrating when I have to manage a flare and I have no idea what caused it, ha. Interesting to hear about (lack of) sleep as a trigger for you, definitely something I can keep an eye on.

I tried a microdose of LSD to test the waters and I am so glad I didn't fully trip on it. I had to calm down a week-ish long flare after it. (Though I really hope it'll be different for you!) Really pleased to hear shrooms have been absolutely fine for your IC. I'm really itching to trip again, definitely time to trial a microdose and progress to a full trip if it doesn't set anything off.

Last edited:
Has anyone had success attenuating chronic pain significantly and for a period of say a month w/ ketamine infusions?

Cost is very high imo, $1000 / infusion, 3 - 4 infusions per cycle. Pain attenuation to say a 4 / 10 would be worth the cost to me if it lasted four weeks. I doubt it will but am trying to be optimistic w/o introducing bias in my assessment of my pain level. Improved mood would likely help me and may be a side benefit.

Ketamine worked well in the ER last week, idk the dosage but it hit nice and smooth with visual distortion for several minutes, time constricted significantly for the first 15 min w/ no sense of my pain. My pain was then very low (2/ 10) for 4 - 6 hours. It was amazing but fleeting. If it works longer term I'd like to eventually take it home. I've read of people doing 24-hr infusions at home for pain. My pain will likely be with me for life.

The protocol for chronic pain is different than that for depression:
90-mg ramping to 135-mg over three to four hours and possibly higher doses for the next sessions. Versed & beta blockers if I get uncomfortable. Sounds nice, I have only one experience w/ ketamine.

Is it correct that a benefit of ketamine infusions may be to sort out my opioid receptors, making opioids more effective if I go the opioid pain management route in the weeks that follow? I really want to avoid opioids, but if I can't I'd be thrilled if ketamine increased their effectiveness. Not really looking to get high, just pain relief.

Thank you for you input.

Of you mean infusion, 20mg into a leg muscle, every 3 hours, forv12-16 hours, of course!.
Hoping to get transdermal, 12xhour patches, on NHS. (IM can be fun, but I just want analgesia, these days). Hate having to emphasise having masters in neuropharmacology (especially, looking like me!), but sometimes it's all that works.

And yes, NMDA non competitive antagonists reduce opiate tolerance (how Iboga works so well, if you don't mind explosive vomiting 🤣).

PS. Sorry of some lacks sense, above: 90mg of dihydrocodeine and 10mg of diazepam (and 60mg of pregabalin), don't make for coherent science teacher mood! 🤣🤣

When my chronic gastritis was at its worst I was taking psychedelics quite frequently (by my standards, at least). Tripping made eating even more difficult with my condition (so I would eat less on days I tripped), but I don't think it ever made my gastritis symptoms worse.

Tripping didn't really help my symptoms acutely, but it did help them for about a week afterwards. This I attribute to the anti-inflammatory action of certain 5-HT2AR agonists. Thankfully my gastritis is about 90% better, thanks to a cocktail (500mcg BPC-157 arginate, 500mcg KPV, 400mg phosphatidylethanolamine, and 400mg tributyrin) that I've been taking 3x/day since November 2022. It would probably be completely healed, except I've been eating out for almost every meal the past couple months, and also consuming alcohol and coffee.

@ahint Please don't take the above information as advice, I just wanted to post it on the off chance anyone with gastritis comes across this post. Chronic gastritis is no joke, at my worst in fall/winter 2021 I was down to 150 pounds (now I'm back to 180) and eating 1,000 calories/day, having suicidal thoughts, and in a constant state of pain, discomfort and anxiety. A strict diet helped somewhat but it was extremely difficult to find a diet that worked for me, and the diet was also difficult to maintain. I sincerely doubt I would have made such rapid progress without the above cocktail.

Also, just a comment on chronic pain in general—what works for someone might not work for others, and what doesn't aggravate someone's condition might aggravate someone else's. Where exactly along the pain pathway (e.g. distal tissue, dorsal spinal cord, central nervous system, etc) the dysfunction arises will dictate the neurotransmitter-receptor pairs that should be targeted or avoided. In my case (just to give an example), NMDAR antagonists had little effect, as perhaps enteric nerves don't significantly utilize NMDA receptors when sending information afferently.

Last edited:
I have had chronic pain all my adult life do to my spine growing insanely stupid. I have had surgery, but the pain never goes away. Pain management is something I know about. I was absolutely astounded on LSD as I couldn't feel my pain for a time. - now the next day different story,
Over the years I made sure to stay hydrated and not strain myself while tripping.

If you take any pain meds , the withdrawal might cause a bad trip. But my particular pain always evaporated while on lsd