• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

choosing to focus on music>college, advice needed

paint_splash

Greenlighter
EDM is my entire life. I hate school, I get really good grades but it is not for me. I am not interested in anything else except for EDM. I have been working on producing for a couple of years. I dropped out of college to focus on producing, I am planning to get an apartment with my friend, work part time and focus on my productions. I have no guidance in my life but the couple of adults I have talked to think I should go to school as a plan B, including my former career counselor. I would not want to waste so much time and money on a plan B when I know I want to do plan A. I plan to work on my stuff until it takes off for me, which is "1 in a million", but if I keep working at it I don't see why I don't have a chance. Having these people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them my plan, is discouraging and it makes me feel like I am doing nothing and will get nowhere in life. I would appreciate some some opinions on this choice, since I have no guidance over here it would be nice to get some input, thank you.:?

i have a friend in the music business. he's not quite famous, but his band regularly plays/records with several grammy-winning artists (including members of the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd). he's been working hard at it for at least ten years, and has achieved more success than any other local artists I've known. despite several steady weekly gigs and a lot of bigger ones throughout the year, he still barely earns enough to make rent. he has friends, established, grammy-winning artists, who basically live couch to couch.

i'm not hating on your dreams, but it's worth considering that even if you DO make it, you could still need a plan B if you ever want a steady income.

It's better to do, not to think about doing. I'm kinda exactly where you're at.

Going to college is never a waste, unless you waste your time in it.

If you literally spend 4 hours a day making music and polishing your shit, then you will be far and away more diligent than most of the people you'd have to compete against, and, not only that, but you will have a solid amount of time to spend working on the life-sustaining/maintaining stuff (AKA, "Plan B," paying the bills, etc.)

With EDM you could take your laptop anywhere and, with headphones, just produce at any time you get inspired, right? That's awfully convenient, and makes the productivity more likely to come. The trick is to just set down and start doing it, don't think about "how am I gonna start," just go for it.

The chances are probably 1 in a million that you'd become a millionaire, but they are a lot better than that to simply have a good time, spread your name, and build a decent following and earn an income doing what you love. It's never not worth it to pursue your dreams if you ask me.

Don't worry about getting advice from most people because most people are miserable anyway, especially if they've never not had a "straight" job. Music is a rough life, but its ups are DEFINITELY worth the downs.

Just work, slowly but surely, on building up your stuff. As long as you make rent/bills, keep getting your name out, and keep producing, then you'll be right where you ought to be.