• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chlorpromazine (Thorazine, Largactil) For Pain?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
While generally prescribed for psychosis, I'm actually prescribed it for "extreme anxiety"*. 100mg tablets as needed (up to 3 a day). I take anywhere from one to four a day...usually two or three.
However, Chlorpromazine is still currently used as a pre-op and back in the 50s and 60s was actually used by itself as a general anaesthetic for surgery.
So the fact that if you take enough of it you can literally UNDERGO SURGERY...if I take a high enough dose surely I will be pain-free?
Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on this?
And no, I'm not concerned about ending up taking too much that I become unconscious, because if you are unconscious you are not in pain.
I CBA with defending this or explaining myself but basically my chronic pain is very severely under-treated and I'm desperate for anything that will ust FOR ONCE allow me to not be in agony.

*yes, that's actually a thing and the official diagnosis IS really "Extreme Anxiety".

First time I hear of anesthesia with only chlorpromazine.

I've also had antipsychotics prescribed for anxiety.

The older antipsychotics are sometimes used as an adjuvant for severe pain. They reduce the amount of opiates needed for analgesia. So, apparently they have certain amount of analgesic effects.

I am so sorry that you are suffering so much my friend.
I understand.

Where is your pain?

I have found some relief with gabapentin and cannabis gummies for the back injury pain.
I get severe debilitating migraines also and those were causing a lot of pain in my body that I didn’t attribute to the migraines
I found a doctor who actually suffers from debilitating migraines and she has me taking Sumatriptan.
It has been a miracle.

Keep Trying.
You are loved.
❤️ P.O.

Used to be prescribed Thorazine 6 or 7 years ago and never heard of it being used for pain. Although some research says otherwise.

However, Chlorpromazine is still currently used as a pre-op and back in the 50s and 60s was actually used by itself as a general anaesthetic for surgery.
So the fact that if you take enough of it you can literally UNDERGO SURGERY...if I take a high enough dose surely I will be pain-free?
Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on this?
yes at one point you will be 100% pain-free. that's what all general anaesthetics do but some do it at the point you're not awake any-more. or so high that amnesia is very strong. or some third option.
most are not safe to be used in that high doses in home settings.

First time I hear of anesthesia with only chlorpromazine.

I've also had antipsychotics prescribed for anxiety.

The older antipsychotics are sometimes used as an adjuvant for severe pain. They reduce the amount of opiates needed for analgesia. So, apparently they have certain amount of analgesic effects.

Yeah I try and take it at the same time as my morphine as it slightly increases the analgesia and also prolongs the duration of action.

I am so sorry that you are suffering so much my friend.
I understand.

Where is your pain?

I have found some relief with gabapentin and cannabis gummies for the back injury pain.
I get severe debilitating migraines also and those were causing a lot of pain in my body that I didn’t attribute to the migraines
I found a doctor who actually suffers from debilitating migraines and she has me taking Sumatriptan.
It has been a miracle.

Keep Trying.
You are loved.
❤️ P.O.

Mostly my legs as I have severe diabetic neuropathy (like I can't walk at all some days). I do also have pancreatitis and two herniated discs.

Sorry to hear you have pain too!

yes at one point you will be 100% pain-free. that's what all general anaesthetics do but some do it at the point you're not awake any-more. or so high that amnesia is very strong. or some third option.
most are not safe to be used in that high doses in home settings.

Trust me, with how much I'm suffering some days, being rendered unconscious would be a huge blessing. But I don't wanna get the kind of blackout you get from other sedatives (not sure if that can happen with APs or not) and risk hurting myself. Especially as I was very slim to begin with and have lost 32lbs recently so my weights low enough I'd be concerned about bruised or even broken bones from a moderate fall.

Antipsychotics used to be added to anesthesia to synergize with the sedative and opioid components of anesthesia, with an added bonus of helping decrease nausea upon emergance.

Unfortunately antipsychotics aren't likely going to have strong analgesic properties.

By itself it won't do shit for pain. However i have had it with morphine a few times for severe nerve pain and it worked great