• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Cheap ways to make alcohol?

Kingoffrogs

Bluelighter
Does anyone know an easy way to make cider? I don't need it to be good, but I can buy apples in bulk for cheap. This fact combined with the fact that I have 2 years until I can legally buy alcohol leads me to the conclusion that my best option to procure alcohol is to make it myself for now.

Also, are there any cheaper/easier alternatives to making cider?

Apple juice + sugar + yeast in a warm(ish) dark place = alcohol + carbon dioxide.
Use a balloon or a condom to seal the top of the jug...when it starts filling with CO2, you know it's working.
There are probably hundreds of recipes online.

Good luck!

You can buy an airlock pretty cheaply, or use a balloon, or cover the top with plastic wrap and put a pinhole in it.
Get cheap apple juice from the supermarket, add sugar and champagne yeast. Champagne yeast can get you to ~ 15%. Lots of recipes online.
Ferment until bubbling slows way down, rack, and age at least 6 months.
I used to make apple wine for fifty cents to a dollar a quart.

Does anyone know an easy way to make cider? I don't need it to be good, but I can buy apples in bulk for cheap. This fact combined with the fact that I have 2 years until I can legally buy alcohol leads me to the conclusion that my best option to procure alcohol is to make it myself for now.

Also, are there any cheaper/easier alternatives to making cider?
I started drinking at 18 and became a raging alcoholic, by 39 I had cirrhosis, I ain't your anything to you, but watch out, you can destroy your life with it fast, I did. Don't be like me, and live in regret. That seems like a lot of trouble just to get drunk. I looked older, and found people and now I wish I hadn't. Besides moonshine is a federal offense, the feds like to give felonies. I got a lot of citations and tickets, but I was at college. Don't steal from a store, it too is a felony in many states. I assume you are American, cause other countries don't got a stick up their ass about alcohol. Seriously, jail, under age drinking diversion shit is bad enough but fake ID'S are too hard to make now a days unless your resourceful and have balls. But making your own, that sounds bad, like the kind of bad, that I was, now I am on perscription drugs waiting to die. Please kid, don't be stupid like me or worse, if you get caught making it, they might make an example of you. They are dicks about booze anymore. Besides you don't want jail, they have to make it themselves there, I saw it on a documentary, too much trouble, but if you must don't drive drunk, and consider what I said.

In most states it isn't illegal to make wine or beer at home as long as you're not selling it.

I'm not sure about moonshine (distilled spirits) but people do get away with making it. I know I did-- but it was a small-scale operation in my kitchen. I ran off about two pints a week for awhile.

But as Jnowhere pointed out, if you have a predisposition to alcoholism (as I do) it's probably best to leave that shit alone. Alcohol is a nasty chemical and alcoholism can be devastating in many ways. I had to.learn the hard way and it was no fun.

If you're starting out, don't ferment in glass. That shit can explode unless it's vented proper.
Plastic is an alternative so is a metal pot.
These are for purposes of homebrew.
But let's say you have a milk jug of apple cider and add the proper yeast, champagne or distillers yeast. Not bread yeast.
An air lock you want is best for venting the CO2 produced.
Make sure the yeast is dead or it's fully converted to alcohol. Somewhere around two weeks for cider.
For home distilling, you can get a pot still on amazon, you can run it before the yeast dies because the boiling of corn beer will kill yeast.
You don't want a yeast infection.
And you know the yeast is done eating sugars when there is no more CO2 produced.

If you don't want to buy yeast each time (even though Champagne yeast is inexpensive), use a little from the fermenting batch to start the next.
That will go at least 4-5 times but will eventually get funky tastes.
If you ferment to the full proof possible, it will have an off taste which will go away after 6 months aging. Still can be drunk right away. ;)
If you ferment only a week or two, it will be around 5-6% and taste good right away.
Think "beer" for the short ferment and "wine" for the longer one. Beer is ready right away, wine needs a little aging.
If you get anything with an off taste that you can't age out, you can distill it out. :cool:

I started drinking at 18 and became a raging alcoholic, by 39 I had cirrhosis, I ain't your anything to you, but watch out, you can destroy your life with it fast, I did. Don't be like me, and live in regret. That seems like a lot of trouble just to get drunk. I looked older, and found people and now I wish I hadn't. Besides moonshine is a federal offense, the feds like to give felonies. I got a lot of citations and tickets, but I was at college. Don't steal from a store, it too is a felony in many states. I assume you are American, cause other countries don't got a stick up their ass about alcohol. Seriously, jail, under age drinking diversion shit is bad enough but fake ID'S are too hard to make now a days unless your resourceful and have balls. But making your own, that sounds bad, like the kind of bad, that I was, now I am on perscription drugs waiting to die. Please kid, don't be stupid like me or worse, if you get caught making it, they might make an example of you. They are dicks about booze anymore. Besides you don't want jail, they have to make it themselves there, I saw it on a documentary, too much trouble, but if you must don't drive drunk, and consider what I said.

While I appreciate your warnings about the dangers of alcoholism and the damage that it can do to your organs and liver, I think you're a little bit off base with your concerns over making cider. It's legal to do in the USA and at least in my experience it's usually not the hardcore alcoholics that are making their own alcohol but rather enthusiasts, hobbyists or those with an interest in starting their own brewery/winery. Alcoholics can't be bothered to do anything that takes time and patience, they just want to get a bottle of vodka from the corner store and be done with it.