• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Celexa (citalopram)

rawcpoppa

Greenlighter
Recently i got prescribed 20 mg of celexa each day but my depression and anxiety only seem to be getting worse. I also got prescribed ridalin for ADHD.
Do these two not go well with eachother? Should I increase my dosage for celexa or switch over to something else.

I take about 20mg of ritalin each day, 10mg pills twice a day.

I honestly dont think i have ever been this depressed/suicidal, and am considering if taking medication for my depression is even worth it.:(

I tried Celexa once upon a time and like you, it didn't work for me. My doctor just prescribed me something else and I moved on to Luvox (which I still take today). If things are getting worse, let your doctor know and they'll figure out what would work better for you in your current situation. Just give it a little more time, the right meds are out there for you, you've just gotta find 'em. Hang in there and don't give up no matter what.

I had the same experience with Celexa. It made me much worse, and my Dr just kept upping the dose to try and counter it which didn't help at all. I would recommend coming off it and trying a different AD.

I was prescribed Citalopram for moderate depression a couple of years ago. To start with it made me feel more depressed than usual (which appears to be quite commonly reported), and after about two weeks I was back at the same level of depression that I was prior to starting treatment. I kept taking it for another two weeks and, to be honest, the only effect I actually felt it gave me was this strange popping sensation whenever I tried to sleep, like a cracker going off in my brain (not painful whatsoever but quite unusual), so I ceased treatment.

To be honest, from both anecdotal and statistical reading about SSRI antidepressants, the reason they work for some people appears to be largely due to the placebo affect as opposed to serotenergic activity. Let us all know how it goes on though. :)