• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Celebrating 3 years vegetarian :)

dilated_pupils

Bluelighter
A few years ago now I suddenly became more health conscious. I have diabeties on my mothers side, and a bit on my dads, as well as heart disease.

I'm about to get another blood check-up but from the last ones I was told my cholesterol was so good there was nothing I had to change (albeit my drug use isn't 100 percent helping anything). Sorry from straying -- anyway, I was slowly but quickly changing my diet and exercise, and I quickly made the switch knowing it had to be done [to not eating meat].

For me the work up to it was starting to eat more veggies, and cut out all the red meat, admittingly I ate a lot of chicken (baked) and watched my caloric intake whilst working out like a mad-man. From there it was quite simple. I was happy & feeling better, I felt I was doing more than I had previously about the issues we face from eating animals and their bi-products, so I stuck with it.

I think this year, a new years resolution really should focus on being more active & supporting some cause that benefits my beliefs and feelings towards such. I wont even talk about the whole animal rights thing - it bothers me too much but do know that I understand it's terrible and disgusting.

Back on topic more -- if anyone is interested, a great website my dietician showed me --> cookieandkate.com. I've been using it for the past few nights here is one thing I made the other night:
20161109_184346.jpg

Here's the link Broccoli & Chickpea Pita Sandwiches unfortunately I forgot to grab the chickpeas so I used tofu crumbles (which came out really well!) and I added spinach on top with vegan cheese and a bit of vegetarian cheese. I will say a family member ate it and made no complaints and they are not vegetarian so even if you eat meat, these recipes are healthy & really good.

I really enjoy the holidays which is what sparked me to make this thread (if not this one I was going to make another about the holidays) - it gives me a chance to flex my muscles a bit and go all out and try making a new dish that can appeal to others who may be stuck on the 'must eat meat for the holiday' -- I know we (in the US) celebrate Thanksgiving with a Turkey but it's time to honor our ancestors in more ways than one, and that's being healthy and treating animals better (I'll leave it at that though - I know this would not be an arguement I'd like to have with a hardcore Thanksgiving person, so many people do work these a** off to put food on the table and a turkey is the 'prize' I know - but it doesn't have to be!).

Anyway - I survived the trials of being in jail for 1 of those Thanksgivings being a vegetarian, and I was the only one who got their own meal made (everyone else got KFC - yes they literally order a ton of it for the holiday around my area). I got an eggplant dish :)

This year I have no clue yet any ideas would be appreciated but really I just want to tell you it's possible, very much so to make big changes - even during off times in your life - for the betterment of your future - your body is resilient and knows that it wants to change. I was using drugs heavily, not at the time I became a vegetarian, I had only been clean for 5 months+/- but I stuck through it even during the past couple years of struggling with stim abuse. To say the least - I'm not surprised I stuck with it because it's something I wanted to do - it's just a ridiculous feat I made during a trialing time. I hope it can be an inspiration to those in a better place than I was - life is good I must say!

---

On a side note - seeing the dietican was to get my blood tests/results & monitor my eating habits - I'll be journaling for a month and then going over what changes (if any, which I'm sure there will be some) that I need to make in my diet. I keep a steady weight and enjoy working out/exercise, albeit I've slacked lately due to unforseen circumstances but still walk a higher average (due to not driving currently) than most people. I do need to get my heart rate up more I don't disgree with that.

My plan is to make a semi-switch, no defined date yet, to being vegan - I like the idea of not eating eggs and the replacement for such may be simplier in the coming months (or this year I shall say). I've read they've actually come up with a replacement with texture similar to that of an egg which would be ideal, but for now using something like flaxseed works. I just started getting into this idea of vegan - and I'm not sure how I would feel yet about being completely vegan, and I'm OK with that. I definitely understand it's tough for some and many I shall say because of medications, and a lot of foods which contain geletin (Taco Bell is safe from what I know, never knew that until recently).

Anyway - I can see myself, long term being between vegetarian and vegan - allowing flexability and growth. We'll see though.

Thanks for reading feel free to share any comments - critisisms if necessary are fine ;)

-dp

Thats good going mate. Being vegetarian for 1+ year and yea I was spurred to do it by trying to eat and staying. Balancing it against the not so healthy drug use or misuse whatever way you look at it.

When I cook for my mum and dad its always vegetarian. Onions, garlic, carrots, capsicum, mushrooms and broccoli are the mainstays.
Recommend Asparagus and that.

Veggies are the bomb man.