View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

candyflipping and panic attacks

jose ribas da silva

Bluelighter
One day I was candyflipping in a rave. Everything went well and I had a lot of fun

On the way home (by van), I started to feel physically strange. I was very high, my body was agitated, of course, but, still normal. I mean I was not having any physical problem, only the expected drug effects.

Suddenly, I had a bad trip, thinking and feeling that I was going to have a heart attack because of too much ecstasy. It was a terrible experience, because I was around a lot of strangers in a small space (I was very claustrophobic). I began to somatize several physical symptoms, sweating and trembling continuously. As soon as I got out of the van, I went to the hospital. After being examined, I had nothing, just a bad trip. I left the hospital to my home. Later, at home, I was still high from the candyflipping when my girlfriend passed me a joint and I decided to smoke it. After a while, I had a panic attack, again somatizing all the physical symptoms of a heart attack, however, in a stronger way. I got so panicked that, unbelievably, I went back to the same hospital and, again, it was a bad trip.

From that day, especially in the first weeks after the episode, I could barely leave the house. It was very difficult to go to crowded places such as public transportation, movie theater, concerts, and so on.

In the course of time, I returned to what is now my new normality. I'm not the same person that I was, after that day. I developed a severe anxiety, social phobia, which have been following me since that day.

Recently, I read an interview with vocalist Chris Cornell and he said he started having panic attacks after a bad trip and that after this episode his life was not the same (high levels of anxiety all the time). Actually, after reading this I did an analogy with what I feel.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

The way I see it, you came down from the mdma while still on LSD which takes 6 hours longer to wear off which was probably your first mistake in dosing both these drugs, which lead to the side-effects from mdma while still tripping which lead you to believe something was physically wrong, over-exaggerating your condition because of negative thoughts from mdma come-down while still high on acid. Using cannabis must have excellerated any negative influence as it has these properties by intensifying your current state of how you felt, which was bad at the moment to begin with. Nothing was physically harmed more than a couple of braincells but alleviating any afterwards anxiety is a completely psychological role. However developing yourself a new benzodiazepine addiction to cure social phobia is what always worked for me. However my trauma is different and if any other options are available you should defineately consider these before taking up xanax or alike. Benzo addiction can destroy lives but so can my PTSD so be carefull and inform yourself well before applying more possible problems to your health.

It's possible you may have acquired some trauma related illness from your use. Many say that one acid trip took away their panic attacks forever. Many also say that one acid trip gave them panic attacks for life. So we do know that a psychedelic trip affects you in a powerful way, strong enough to change your life forever.As a result, you should only have controlled trips. If you don't know how you will react with a certain combination, try it at a very small dose first. I strongly recommend repeating the experience with a much smaller dose, so you can conquer this fear/aversion you have gained from the experience.

take a long break from drug 6 months to a year you will be back to normal and stop smoking weed. Start doing meditation eat healthy, sounds like a proglonged mdma comedown from to much use.

I do know what you mean although I had social phobia long before I started using LSD, MDMA, and related substances. I've had what you're describing where I am simply unable to function in a crowd due to anxiety/panic and it's the main reason why I don't consume LSD at a rave. I'm even iffy about MDMA in a party setting with new people these days because I'm fearful that I'll overshare and be embarrassed. When I have used too often or too much in the past I'd start to notice my anxiety levels would go up in day to day life. Usually something like lingering visuals for months would bring this out and smoking cannabis would sometimes put me back into the same headspace as the negative experience I was recovering from.

What's helped me:
-Stop smoking pot for a few months it just prolongs the problem and often causes anxiety itself
-Lay off the MDMA and LSD for 6 months to a year (longer is better)
-Slowly work up to large crowds again by hanging out with small groups of trusted friends or one-on-one with someone in a casual setting (no rave/party/bar etc.)
-Eat healthy, work out, do a hobby to occupy your time and keep your mind off of it

It sounds simple but it works. I'm not saying you'll be a social butterfly but you'll be better able to cope. I suffer with this and always will. I avoid putting myself in situation that triggers panic where possible but I also can't avoid it all together because it just leads to never leaving the house. My compromise is I go party rarely and when I do I leave said party if I start feeling like I'm going to have a bad time. You can do it without being rude just make it known that you're busy and might have to leave early if something comes up when you first arrive or accept the invite. Most people don't care about your personal life and aren't paying you any attention. Most people will forget your name by the next day. I try to keep those things in mind when meeting new people or going somewhere that I'm unlikely to see most of the people again.

I know it sucks. It's such a stupid thing to be fearful of but it's so hard just to turn it off.