• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canadian Association of People Who Use Drugs Suing Federal Govt to Remove Controlled Drugs and Substances Act

Joey

Bluelighter

A group of drug users and drug policy reform advocates are suing the Canadian government because they say the continued prohibition of drugs is unconstitutional.
The Canadian Association of People Who Use Drugs, a non-profit organization, filed a statement of claim Tuesday in B.C. Supreme Court against the Attorney General of Canada arguing that the government is responsible for overdose deaths because it is forcing drug users to buy from a toxic drug supply.

The official website regarding this matter.

Do you think this is likely to make its way to the higher courts and set any sort of precedent?

I’m a member of CAPUD, though I am not directly involved in this lawsuit. I am supportive of this act being removed. But to be more specific, this isn’t to remove it in its entirety, but rather large sections to create defacto decriminalization. There is a huge problem with increasing overdose deaths across the country which is escalating rapidly. If this is successful, then how people, or if people even are sentenced criminally for drugs and their possession would change at the judicial level.

On August 2020, small time or basic possession was already changed from a criminal to a civil issue for people with SUD (or addiction) and people who are indigenous. This was written in spite of the controlled drugs and substances act. Without this act, this won’t be an issue for anyone. There’s more to talk about here but I need to do more research before I go on.

Yeah it’s certainly an interesting approach. In the US I feel like this wouldn’t even make it to a federal court tbh, it’d just be ignored. But idk what the environment is like in Canada for this sort of thing, I certainly hope they succeed

The official website for this. I’ll include it in the OP as well.

Methadone clinics do have a clean supply of hydromorph but the criteria is too much. Not exactly sure but i have heard it's for iv users only and you need so much time on methadone or subs and overdoses and daily clinic visits. Before i left my clinic i was giving bad samples with fentanyl in my system and it was never offered to me. My neurologist prescribes my hydro's but at the time the clinic doctor didn't know that.

Ontario is progressive but not nearly as helpful to addicts as B.C

Cool effort. It's obviously going way further than the Supreme Court of Canada will have the stomach for, but something good may come of it nonetheless.

The group also wants the government to strike down some trafficking offences, such as ... “trafficking to supply a guaranteed safe supply to vulnerable (people who use drugs).”
Doesn't that cover pretty much anybody drug trafficker, as long as their stuff is what they say it is? :cool:

On August 2020, small time or basic possession was already changed from a criminal to a civil issue for people with SUD (or addiction) and people who are indigenous.
Drug possession is still a criminal offence for everyone, but there are instructions from the director of public prosecutions not to proceed with possession charges in many cases. Unfortunately it is still up to the prosecutors' discretion.

The thing is decriminalization is aiming too low. That just means users won't get locked up for possessing small amounts.
Won't do anything to increase user safety; as the substances themselves will still continue to be illegally manufactured and subject to black market conditions with all that that entails.
What's needed is some form of legalization, there's no other way to ensure an uncontaminated product of consistent potency.