Site Feedback Can we get quote notification pop-ups / alerts?

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
There's an option in our account settings to send an email or a PM when we're quoted in a post, but I don't like my inboxes to be clogged with notifications. I may be crazy, but I seem to recall that BL staff were experimenting with quote notification pop-ups briefly a couple months ago or so, then it disappeared.

Even fancier than pop-up notifications is something like the "alert" system in another forum that I frequent, which is an easily-accessible drop-down menu (like the Notifications menu that appears at the top of Bluelight right now) that contains a list of not only quotes, but username mentions, and post "likes". I'd love to have all of this for Bluelight, wink wink nudge nudge, but I'll settle for a pop-up that tells me when somebody quotes my post. Pretty please with a cherry on top? ;)

the feature disappeared again because I and other shitheads in the lounge abused it too much for fun

sry

^ not really.

the feature was removed as it had a major security flaw and the support from the company who wrote the plug-in was dismal.

alasdair

Even fancier than pop-up notifications is something like the "alert" system in another forum that I frequent, which is an easily-accessible drop-down menu (like the Notifications menu that appears at the top of Bluelight right now) that contains a list of not only quotes, but username mentions, and post "likes". I'd love to have all of this for Bluelight, wink wink nudge nudge, but I'll settle for a pop-up that tells me when somebody quotes my post. Pretty please with a cherry on top? ;)

Yip, I'd also love this.

Please.

Hmm, I find it kind of unnessecary. If you check threads you've posted in, you're sure to find someone quote you. I found the constant notifications to be a touch annoying.

My 2c. :)

Alasdairm, can you expand upon what the security risk was?

the plug-in did not respect usergroup permissions - if a user was quoted in a staff-only discussion, the post was available for viewing to non-staff.

alasdair

Aha, I see. That is a mega flaw. Add that to the annoyance of constant notifications, I'm happy we aren't using such a thing.

Yeah, I think you're right, swilow. That's why the ideal solution, IMO, would be a notification that appears in an easily accessible list like I described in the OP, without an intrusive pop-up window.