Can someone explain to me why opiates destroyed my girlfriends life/our relationship

J-ho

Greenlighter
It would be nice to get an addicts perspective, how did opiates effect you and why are they so addicting/debilitating? I'm feeling so shitty tonight...thanks in advance

It fucks your balance, your right to make choices. Opiates fells good but destroy your entire life by draining your inner life strength.

My best friend just died of an opiate overdose. Powerful dangerous drug.

I still believe there is a huge extent of self destruction that goes along with it. Yes we use the opiates but there are people that also use opiates and do not destroy their lives. And sometimes opiates do actually help people. Its really maintaining your use that matters the most. Keeping it low and if you really think they help in someway do yourself that favor. Indulging in ANYthing in life is badform, not just opiates.

But my point is I honestly believe a lot of people are just fed up and turning to opiates as a sort of inner strike against the world we live in. Look around you. Humans are parasites. We are raping the earth, killing millions of animals everyday just to feed our fat asses, we argue with each other and say horrible things. Start wars with other countries and fuck ourselves politically (america at least). A lot of us are too angry and too depressed for our own good. Not having nearly enough sex or intimate relations with others. Relationships themselves have been shown to inspire people and reduce stress. People who have them are happier and live longer lives. Even w/out opiates people ruin their lives. There are always those "things" (w/e that means). I don't actually know what my point is. I am more just randomly voicing things I think about.
I think people who really like life and want to enjoy it can use opiates w/out it ruining their life. But the other ones who are already on the edge... how much are opiates really responsible for ruining their lives? I don't know I myself have went back and forth for a while. Fucking up my life and what not. But at a point after a few years I just looked at myself and said "wtf"? For me using only seems to make me feel worse now. So for me opiates are ceasing to be as addictive. They really don't make you feel that much better, they flatten you out overtime and give you so many side effects. Is it really worth trading your life for? I don't know I think I'm leaning towards no at least in my own life. For the ones who say yes I can't really say what makes them that way. Even when things got "bad" yes they were bad but compared to some other people some go from popping percocets to shooting 10 bundles a day within the timeframe of a month. People are different I guess. Maybe their brains are more sensitive to the drug... or maybe they're just more sensitive to life in general.

Fuck I think I just had an aneurism.

Last edited:
Opioid addiction will have different effects on different people. How well they function in social situations, in relationships, in their work/professional life, etc will depend a lot on how their personality was beforehand and the unique situations to their life. Generally though it leads to very inward thinking, which to other people seems like plain selfishness and being self-absorbed. Often times the slightest inconveniences, or everyday frustrations, cause outbursts of anger/hostility/bitterness. At times emotionally numb/blunted, other times raw like an emotional open sore. Unless the person is on a maintenance level of use (having enough money and the connections to get their opioid of choice regularly for a long period of time), the High - Low - High - Low dynamic leads to what seem like mood swings or complete changes in personality from one hour to the next, or day to the next, depending on how much of their opioid of choice is consumed and how often (or in the reverse, how little is being consumed not often enough) can seemingly change their personality. I think opioid addiction is your body and mind seeking stasis- a constant level of opiation all the time, which is very difficult to accomplish given the prohibition of opioids, their high black market value/cost, precarity of sources, etc. This leads to a lack of stasis which goes against what the mind and body crave, leading to the kinds of emotional outbursts, short fuse, letting personal relationships, obligations, etc get left behind, and so on.

It's a torment to experience, and I can imagine a confusing, scary, frustrating nightmare to watch and be around when it's someone you care about or love.

Seems like there should be a easy answer but there is not. I was addicted to vicodins because I was always anxious. If I get a hold of some today I won't hesitate to eat them (of course in less amounts than I used to). From physiological/mental point of view our brain is hardwired to receive endorphins- hormones that numb pain and provide us with pleasure. This usually happens when person is physically and sometimes emotionally hurt. However, when there is no pain and you take those narcotics, they release "feelgood" endorphins. And AHHH BLISS, there no pain and euphoria overcomes the body.
To this day I can sense that euphoria but I tell myself to find some other outlet. Doing sports and eatting hot salsa releases your natural endorphins.

I know a whole lot more about this topic. Pharmacology is my passion and opiates is my week spot! Email me or send a message anytime.

Opiate addiction is an addiction unlike anyother, and I can only attribute that to the wonderful effects they provide. Opiates aren't like other drugs, they're just not. They do everything you want them to do, they kill pain and anxiety of any kind, they induce strong euphoria and sense of contentment, they make you warm inside and out, they sedate you and stimulate you, they put you in a happier place, a much more tolerable place. Have you ever had a wonderful dream, absolutely blissful, and wake up either so happy because you've had it or so sad because it is over, or both? Well, the feeling opiates provide isn't unlike that. On top of the desire for such effects, opiate addicts are addicted, physically and psychologically, so stopping is hellish in many ways. Opiates don't just make you feel good, they make you feel great and beyond. I can't blame any addict, but an opiate addict I would never think to do. BTW- I am not an opiate addict, but my mother and father were/are, and I am sure I will be soon enough. I don't want to be an addict, but opiates are just too good.

I think its the beautiful blissfulness they create. When i first met my girl neither one of us really did anything. We we both had our emotional baggage but when the relationship was new things were easier to forget and we just enjoyed each others company. Fast forward to now and her depression and anxiety are back now coupled with heroin not making it any better we've become almost stereotypical. She gets depressed and wont talk to me we discover some way to get a bundle shoot it and next thing you know its all i love you and things are going to get better we will quit. I tuck her in say goodnight head home and wake up back to "lifes not worth living" mode. Wash rinse and repeat. If i could just get her to be happy if life was just easier or we would catch a break.

Its funny the guy i go through is late 30s and him and his wife are the way i can see us being if we dont quit before we lose everything. They hide money from eachother for good reason, they had to go bankrupt, and its like they dont even love eachother. Its sad to think i relate more to them then my parents who have a great loving relationship. I suppose thats just how it goes when theres no money and a constant desire to score. I still retain the idea that once we hit rock bottom we will change. Its just not that bad yet.

You would have to give me more info. But generally, the intimacy between you two diminishes. You probably don't feel that same feeling of being connected through love, it's sad how opiates can enhance that feeling with the high, and destroy it in reality.

sorry no one has said this yet.. but i'm so sorry that it ruined your relationship :/ it's usually the case in relationships where both use opiates (opiates specifically). couldn't tell you why cause i was never hooked on em but i understand it's just like any drug addiction and i know i lost my self completely at my lowest, and i WISH i could get the friends and family i had back. your girlfriend will realize this one day