• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Can I take suboxone after using subutex and heroin together?

cabbagepatch31

Bluelighter
So I am trying to detox at home from IV heroin use. I had a few subutex pills left in my stash so I have been taking chunks of subutex while occasionally using heroin on top a few times over the past three days. This morning I took the last chunk of subutex I have and a small muscle shot of BTH. That will be the last dose of heroin I plan to use. I have a scrip for suboxone, so I have plenty of those. My question is, when can I safely take the suboxone? My boyfriend is telling me it doesn’t matter because I have the subutex in my system, so I can take it whenever and not go into precipitated withdrawals, but I’m wary about this, due to the fact I used heroin this morning. Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Your boyfriend is right. The bupe is actually the opiate blocker. So as long as you still have the bupe in your system from the subutex you can safely take the suboxone.

You'll be fine. Are you fully ready to stop the H now? Bouncing between H and subutex can mitigate and stop the physical withdrawals but I've found it was awful for my mental health.

You totally could go into opiate withdrawals if you are using massive H, especially fent based H. Fent has a higher affinity than subs to the receptors. Its quite possible you have 0 subs in you right now since the fent never let it in. You take a sub too soon and WD. Its most likely you will be fine, just educate yourself a bit before trying.

Look up the Bernise method. Its a way to move to subs WHILE continuing using H. Will have some good information in there.

You'll be fine. Are you fully ready to stop the H now? Bouncing between H and subutex can mitigate and stop the physical withdrawals but I've found it was awful for my mental health.

Second this. Nothing worse than having 50%-100% mu-opioid receptor saturation and no full agonist opioid effects, it creates a mental prison and a more gigantic opioid tolerance than you likely ever had (1 mg of buprenorphine is 30 mg of morphine equivalents, 30x stronger (!!!) with no ability to subjectively feel it). And then then ping pong game of mixing in full agonist opioids to get the mental relief. A decade disaster of my life I'm thankful is well behind me now.

My opinion, use it for for 14 days and never touch it again when you're truly, 1000% ready to quit like it was originally meant to be used.

If you want something long term, in my brutally honest opinion, choose methadone if possible.

Suboxone was never able to pull me out of withdrawal. Took it around 7/8 days off 60mg methadone cold turkey and certainly knocked the methadone off and the 1st 2 days were bad. After like 10 days I realized it was doing nothing for the most part so just stopped taking it and tossed the couple of strips I had left. Was taking small doses like 1/2mg a day. Except the 1st 2 days I took almost a full 12mg strip. Because you are so desperate. But every time I took it, it caused more aches and pains. Headache.

Maybe it did help who knows. But don't think that drug is good for long term. There is no way I would of been able to stabilize on it I think. At least after long term dosing.

Im sure I already said it somewhere before here. I know 2 kids that were 10 year dosers and tried switching to subs. Both took it on the 3rd day off methadone and both have hellish stories of PW. Hell I waited 8 days after a small done run (this time) and went into it. They were using dope non stop the 4/5 months they were on it. I think it made one of them stronger and one weaker, but they both landed back on methadone. One got off quick and one still on. Also read people journal all the time "day 18 off heroin and on suboxone" talking like they are clean and still kicking. Makes no sense. Just go on methadone if you want maintenance. By day 18 on methadone you would of been feeling great.

Its a fucked up drug. Scares the shit out of me. I cannot see how its being pushed as a maintenance drug especially to people coming off methadone or heroin. Maybe after like a year you would stabilize but by then you will be really addicted to the subs. This one site claims methadone withdrawal is 10 days and subs are 30 lol. Don't take it for too long like Deru said.

I also have to say thank god I never tried switching to it over the years. Down in dallas the clinic system sucked so bad was so close to inducing on subs. Was gonna take a week off work and do it. Boy that would of been a mistake. I would of quickly seen I was fucked and had to go back on the clinic (I was working and in a far away state, so needed to stay well) and been sick all that time for nothing.

Last edited:
@TheInvisibleStoner Subutex works great for a lot of people, me included. Perhaps you pushed your tolerance up too much for it? Methadone is far stronger, and if you're in the US doing fentadope maybe your tolerance is too high for any dose of subutex to touch, as buprenorphine has a ceiling dose above which further dosing is pointless. That doesn't mean it's useless though - my habit was moderate, and subutex stops 100% of the physical withdrawal. The mental withdrawal - depression, fatigue etc - is still there, but I can handle that when it's not accompanied by a horrible physical battle. With your tolerance it sounds like methadone stabilisation and then slow reduction may be better.

Your boyfriend is right. The bupe is actually the opiate blocker. So as long as you still have the bupe in your system from the subutex you can safely take the suboxone.
Can I take subutex after taking suboxone? I can’t find any information on that. I’ve been on suboxone the past few days and now all I have is subutex. Will the suboxone block out the subutex?

Second this. Nothing worse than having 50%-100% mu-opioid receptor saturation and no full agonist opioid effects, it creates a mental prison and a more gigantic opioid tolerance than you likely ever had (1 mg of buprenorphine is 30 mg of morphine equivalents, 30x stronger (!!!) with no ability to subjectively feel it). And then then ping pong game of mixing in full agonist opioids to get the mental relief. A decade disaster of my life I'm thankful is well behind me now.

My opinion, use it for for 14 days and never touch it again when you're truly, 1000% ready to quit like it was originally meant to be used.

If you want something long term, in my brutally honest opinion, choose methadone if possible.
Can I take subutex after taking suboxone? I can’t find any information on that. I’ve been on suboxone the past few days and now all I have is subutex. Will the suboxone block out the subutex?

You can definitely take the Tex any time subs already in your system other way around is different Tex to oxone gotta ease in been on subutex since07