• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can anyone give my girlfriend some advice? Terrified of tripping/drugs in general.

AnanasBannana

Bluelighter
Hi all!

Just looking for some advice to give my girlfriend who is considering using LSD - I think our situation is a bit difference from the average person looking to trip for the first time.

She used to be a massive stoner, and we did do MDMA from time to time - until one weekend when we took 500mg each two days back to back (TR: bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-780164.html) and we ended up in ER.

Ever since then, she has had massive anxiety in relation to any sort of drug usage. She tried about 60mcg of LSD about three months ago and only the body load aspects, vasoconstriction etc - said the experience felt awful - visuals were more subtle and irritating than beautiful.

She's terrified about the idea of 'freaking out' on LSD - even talking about LSD excessively gives her minor PTSD related anxiety.

She'll be reading through this thread. I'm wondering what sort of advice you can give her?

If you're not comfortable with the idea of taking LSD, don't do it.
She definitely wants to take it - she's aware her anxiety about tripping is somewhat irrational.

We were looking for advice in terms of set+setting, dosage and possible combinations (IE, Phenibut+LSD). Would microdosing for a week be a good way to possibly feel more comfortable with it?

And what can I do as a sitter to help her?

I'm conscious that a low dose could supply another situation where it's just body load and irritating visuals - as opposed to a breakthrough experience.

It doesn't really matter if her anxiety is rational or not. She should wait a while until it subsides. When she can talk about LSD without triggering her PTSD, then maybe she'll be ready to try taking it again.

It doesn't really matter if her anxiety is rational or not. She should wait a while until it subsides. When she can talk about LSD without triggering her PTSD, then maybe she'll be ready to try taking it again.
That's fair but what sort of advice would you give for someone looking to proactively get over drug related PTSD?

you shouldnt trip if you arent feeling good about it. if there is any anxiety, tension, apprehension beforehand; that usually translates into the direction of the trip. there are no hard and fast rules, but experience should be your guide. my experience has taught me that if im not 100% feeling good, ready to trip--im not going to do it.

if she is very set on tripping, another alternative might be a shorter acting psychedelic. plenty of people try mushrooms first at lower doses and ease their way into more classically psychedelic territory.

^That really seems like a personal thing in my opinion, that only she can address. Plus taking copious amounts of MDMA two nights in a row... you guys had to know what was coming.

Dealing with trip anxiety is something only she can address, but I'll still give you what I do to lessen it, which is:
-have a beer or two (or even three) on the comeup, maybe even start drinking before you drop. I find this to be the best aid.
-make sure you have no pressing events to worry about in the following 24-48 hours
-make sure you don't have to drive long distances
-understand that you won't be sleeping for 12+ hours after dropping
-remember, LSD has never killed anyone via overdose means
-try to keep away from your phone
-avoid authority figures
-keep yourself occupied with activities

Last edited:
We have a four day weekend coming up, expected to be nice and sunny. She's planning on doing 50mcg 1P LSD and 1.5 phenibute at 11am - my two friends and I are going to do 75 mcg. We have benzos on hand and plan on doing outdoor activities (we live by the countryside).

I think nerves are normal considering she doesn't really know what to expect and she's gauging it off scare stories and our previously horrible MDMA experience. Anyone suggest any good literature she should read?

Trip reports might be a good start. AFAIK the vast majority of people tripping have the time of their lives.
But I too suggest waiting a while, until she can think it over without getting anxious just over the thought if it. Meditate. Think about what she is looking for from a trip.
Mindset is just as important as the general setting (surroundings). If you do trip, turn off your phone and avoid interacting with other people. I prefer to stay inside, with my closest friends, and listen to music & have fun. Go for a walk once you're past peak. Have some fruit and non-sugary drinks at hand.

There's been plenty good advice already. I'd like to stress the point that it's really hard for a firsttimer to differentiate between "fear" of the experience which means one probably shouldn't trip and "healthy respect" on the other hand, which just means one is grasping the serious nature of what one is about to do. In the end nobody can really help her with that, I would just say that she should keep in mind that there is absolutely no shame in backing out, even at the last minute, if it doesn't feel right.

So she is experienced with cannabis, right? Has she ever had a difficult experience with cannabis, specifically one where she was able to overcome these difficulties and enjoy the rest of the high? For me personally, I feel that this knowledge that I have successfully dealt with difficult experiences in the past, has helped me a lot when something like that came up. My most scary drug experience was the first time I took MDMA where I took way too much and had sort of a panic attack when I realized how strong the effects were getting, but then the thought came into my mind that "Hey, this is not so different from the time I was overwhelmed by the effects from oral cannabis. So what did I do that time? I just concentrated on the fact that I took a drug that will effect me for a certain timeframe and reminded myself that I KNOW that by the time I'll wake up tomorrow I WILL feel normal again." So I did just that, and what do you know, soon after I was grinning from ear to ear and to telling my lifestory to some poor girl who only wanted to bum a cigarette off me ;). So this is kind of my mantra that I always come back to when I have a difficult experience: "It's ok to feel like this right now, because I KNOW it will not last forever."

This guide is meant for taking care of people at festivals, but I'm sure you can find a lot of useful information in there.

First thing I would ask myself if I was her will be: I do really want to trip because of my own curiosity or I feel some kind of social pressure (even not intended one)?

If she can answer honestly with the first option. Then she has to be concious that she is just afraid of the unknown, and would be nice to have some benzos at hand to weaken the possible adverse reaction...or even a neuroleptic if she wants to get a complete and sure getaway.
Just the possesion of an antidote might dissipate her fears.

Though as in life, is always better to go through difficult situations than to escape from them. Though no harm being a bit of a covard sometimes.

Last edited:
If she has this much anxiety just THINKING of taking acid, imagine how much anxiety she'll have when she does take it. It's all in her mind and if she's freaking out--she's gonna freak out. Idk man, she needs to listen to herself and her mind. She may WANT to trip, but may not be ready to...there's a difference. No rush to force anything that could potentially exacerbate her current symptoms.

Well, I came home to find a tripping girlfriend - she felt impulsive and decided to give it a go!

She took 50mcg at 3:30, and then another another 25mcg at 4:30 - she started getting strong enough visuals at 4:45. She said the experience was really good and she enjoyed it a lot.

She took 250mcg xanax at about 6:30 - visuals were completely gone by 7.

Altogether, said she really enjoyed it - really wants to do it again. Only took the xanax because she had to do something at eight that required sobriety.

Thanks guys!

It's probably a bad idea to mix drugs when inexperienced.

Listen to the wisdom of this thread. You're probably going to have a bad time. Why not let her be the trip sitter?

Altogether, said she really enjoyed it - really wants to do it again. Only took the xanax because she had to do something at eight that required sobriety.

I really hope that something that required sobriety didn't involve driving a car. Even if she felt sober after the xanax, her reaction time was still impaired. No one should get behind the wheel of a car for at least 12 hours after taking LSD.

That is super stupid on both counts, but I'm very glad for her this went over well for her and without freaking out.

p.s Keep in mind that probably everyone on here, or at least some, has at one time been dumb and impulsive with psychedelics. We aren't just saying these things to be knights in shining white armor, but also because sometimes it doesn't go over well.