• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

British Columbia--Federal Government Begins Talks With Vancouver About Decriminalisation of Simple Posession

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
Vancouver mayor, Health Canada to formally discuss drug decriminalization

Vancouver city officials and Health Canada are expected to begin formal discussions on the city's plan to decriminalize simple possession of illicit drugs, according to a statement from Mayor Kennedy Stewart.
In November, city council unanimously approved a motion to put the idea of decriminalization for possession of small amounts forward to the federal government.
In a response to CBC News, a spokesperson for [Federal] Minister of Health Patty Hajdu said substance use is a health issue, not a moral one.

While this is good news indeed, I'm wondering how yet another exemption for some people is workable in Canada. We have constitutionally-protected rights that state that all residents of Canada are treated equally under the law.
An exemption for one identifiable group is not equal treatment under the law.
If this exemption is given, then no drug posession in Canada can be prosecuted to criminal conviction because this exemption can be used as a defence for anyone anywhere in Canada.

The dominoes are starting to topple. :D

Yeah, I don't see how they could make a workable exemption for an entire city. It would lead to challenges right away.

Yeah, I don't see how they could make a workable exemption for an entire city. It would lead to challenges right away.

Maybe this a workaround for the government to go the way of an Order-in-Council to decriminalise posession. Use it as a sort of excuse to have to do it.

Or, pessimistically, the lawyers warn them of this very issue and they back off.

It's hard to gauge the government's position, really. The tone of the Health Minister is quite different from that of the PM. Even Minister Blair (Public Safety and Organised Crime) has spoken up in sort-of favour of this. For those who don't know, he's a former Chief of Toronto Police.

I'm hoping our city council here vote on this issue as well. There has been some talk of council voting on talking to the federal government as well. If the biggest city in Canada, with a population bigger than some provinces (never mind the urban agglomeration being 1/4 of the Canadian population), were to get an exemption the whole idea would become a farce.

Actually, even in Vancouver. Vancouver alone is only ~700,000 people of ~2.5 million in that urban agglomeration....what's the plan there, really? Urban borders aren't exactly borders of any kind.

Actually, even in Vancouver. Vancouver alone is only ~700,000 people of ~2.5 million in that urban agglomeration....what's the plan there, really? Urban borders aren't exactly borders of any kind.
That’s true. Surrey guy here. I don’t bother scoring in Whalley anymore, unless I’m a hurry. It’s much funner going all the way to D/T Vancouver and taking my time to get what I want.