• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Boltzmann Brains, Time as a Quantum Entanglement Phenomenon, Reality as a Shared Illusion

Vastness

Bluelight Crew
This thread, probably, is best taken as a fun perspective based on some reading I've been doing recently and the apparent implications for the nature of reality.

I don't make any claims as to the actual likelihood of this being the case - and, as with all efforts to understand what exactly reality is, knowing this will not make much difference to how we live our lives, not should it, necessarily.

Anyway - recently been doing some reading about Boltzmann Brains:
The Boltzmann brain argument suggests that it is more likely for a single brain to spontaneously and briefly form in a void (complete with a false memory of having existed in our universe) than it is for our universe to have come about in the way modern science thinks it actually did. It was first proposed as a reductio ad absurdum response to Ludwig Boltzmann's early explanation for the low-entropy state of our universe.

In this physics thought experiment, a Boltzmann brain is a fully formed brain, complete with memories of a full human life in our universe, that arises due to extremely rare random fluctuations out of a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. Theoretically, over a period of time on the order of hundreds of billions of years, by sheer chance atoms in a void could spontaneously come together in such a way as to assemble a functioning human brain. Like any brain in such circumstances, it would almost immediately stop functioning and begin to deteriorate.

To summarise - if the material universe arose from a localised quantum fluctuation in the false vacuum that is the substrate of our cosmos - and we know that quantum fluctuations occur on much smaller scales all the time - we should expect that far less complex objects should spontaneously pop into being at a much higher frequency than an entire universe. This being the case - I refer again to the quote above, for emphasis - it is more likely for a single brain to spontaneously and briefly form in a void (complete with a false memory of having existed in our universe) than it is for our universe to have come about in the way modern science thinks it actually did.

A pretty fascinating idea in itself. Since these brains would only exist for likely an infinitesimaly small moment - their very existence a mere random pattern on the surface of the aether - it's perhaps likely that a single unit moment of consciousness is all that is experienced, and therefore the duration of the existence of the entire imagined reality built up from within it. To start off a little easy before veering into the progressively more insane - it provides a pleasingly literal version of a cosmology in which it's ALWAYS TRUE that the moment is all that exists.

To expand upon the insanity a little, I've also been reading recently about quantum entanglement, and specifically, how it relates to time - time might be an emergent phenomenon of whatever mystery lies behind quantum entanglement.
There have been suggestions to look at the concept of time as an emergent phenomenon that is a side effect of quantum entanglement. In other words, time is an entanglement phenomenon, which places all equal clock readings (of correctly prepared clocks, or of any objects usable as clocks) into the same history. This was first fully theorized by Don Page and William Wootters in 1983. The Wheeler–DeWitt equation that combines general relativity and quantum mechanics – by leaving out time altogether – was introduced in the 1960s and it was taken up again in 1983, when Page and Wootters made a solution based on quantum entanglement. Page and Wootters argued that entanglement can be used to measure time.

In 2013, at the Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca Metrologica (INRIM) in Turin, Italy, researchers performed the first experimental test of Page and Wootters' ideas. Their result has been interpreted to confirm that time is an emergent phenomenon for internal observers but absent for external observers of the universe just as the Wheeler-DeWitt equation predicts.
My added emphasis to the last line because this seems an incredibly important discovery, and I'm surprised it hasn't been widely reported! I guess maybe because it's just a little too obscure, not practically relevant to our lives, and maybe just not something a lot of people find exciting. But to me this seems huge - time is an emergent phenomenon for internal observers, but absent for external observers! This is both predicted by theory and tentatively backed up by experiment - again, this is huge!

This may not be the only interpretation - but it's one that makes sense to me, and is at the very least, one possible interpretation. This potentially means that the arrow of time is, truly, an illusion - temporal events are not occurring in sequence, in truth, but their actual distribution is impossible to discern - they could be distributed across vast volumes in space, higher dimensions, and other "layers of reality" for want of a better word, which we currently have no conception of. We know that entangled particles can remain entangled independent of distance, and can be entangled across both space, and across time (I admit I'm having trouble understanding how cross-temporal entanglement fits into the idea of time itself being an emergent phenomenon of quantum entanglement, unless there is some kind of "objective time" on top of this... but I don't think my lack of a complete understanding will diminish the thought experiment I'm going to posit in a moment).

Referring back to Boltzmann brains, a typical conception perhaps is that if the universe is a simulation within one of these, the brain in question is essentially the brain of a god, and thus capable of imagining our entire reality, and all of us within it.

An alternative explanation however, is that all of us are Boltzmann brains, and we also inhabit a shared reality. I posit that the Boltzmann Bulk (a term I just coined now, obviously borrowed from the Brane Cosmology of string theory - let me just quickly nutshell the pertinent point):
The central idea is that the visible, three-dimensional universe is restricted to a brane inside a higher-dimensional space, called the "bulk" (also known as "hyperspace"). If the additional dimensions are compact, then the observed universe contains the extra dimension, and then no reference to the bulk is appropriate. In the bulk model, at least some of the extra dimensions are extensive (possibly infinite), and other branes may be moving through this bulk. Interactions with the bulk, and possibly with other branes, can influence our brane and thus introduce effects not seen in more standard cosmological models.
...so the Bulk in this iteration of my idle speculation about unknowable things, is a substrate that occasionally births universes. Accepting for a moment the premises on which the Boltzmann Brain idea is based - as well as universes of all shapes and sizes, it's also churning up the odd disembodied brains, flickers of being existing only for a moment before dissolving back into this hyperdimensional ocean.

Each of these brains simulates reality for a moment - just one moment - before it flickers out again - but it is likely not the only brain experiencing this reality. I posit that entanglement phenomena are at play here, that the as yet unexplained nature of quantum entanglement will serve as a link between different brains imagining the same reality from a different perspective - but at the same moment. These moments do not have to flow in sequence. Assuming there is some kind of "objective time" being proposed here, the imagined end could come right at the beginning, the middle at the end, and everything all scrambled in between - but they will still be ordered in time by their entanglement - all experiences of a single moment, isolated lights of consciousness as we understand it flickering incessantly in the void, every flicker an entire universe, but also only a single moment. Other moments can exist though - entanglements can occur across time and across space. Of course - when we are all fluctuations in the void, experiencing reality moment by moment - the time between one moment, to the next time the unique pattern of our consciousness flickers back into being, but one moment advanced, and again, the subjectively "later" moment could objectively appear first.

But there's no time limit here - and potentially know limit to space - for the purposes of this thought experiment - the upshot is that we could all be conscious beings, interacting with each other - but still all exist within our own universe, separated by inconceivably vast stretches of time and space.

I want to requote that last sentence because it's just so important and somewhat mindblowing to me that this has been studied rather than just being an interesting and oft-quoted piece of wisdom.

Time is an emergent phenomenon for internal observers, but absent for external observers.

If we are all Boltzmann Brains flickering into existence moment by moment - it could be a billion years or more for an outside observer where your existence is just not an active part of objective time, but a dormant piece of greater reality. A friend you speak to and have known for years, might not actually be born yet - to an external observer, the Boltzmann Brain containing the imagined reality of their birth moment might not happen for several trillion years after the Boltzmann Brain containing the reality in which you experienced meeting them for the first time in school or whatever. Both these events might take place in flickers in the quantum foam separately by distances so inconceivably large that to mention numbers would be meaningless. But as internal observers - we cannot tell, and the entanglements of our imagined realities neatly group our perceptions of time and space into a coherent order that we can understand, even if that order might be entirely illusory.

Of course... this is, to an extent, idle speculation, as it (probably) makes no real difference to how we live our lives - nor should it. Regardless, to me that's not relevant to the deliciously absurd beauty of this idea.

This thinking about Boltzmann Brains also reminded me a lot of an epic trip I had a while back on 3-HO-PCP and Metocin, where at one point I had the sensation of being a "solitary consciousness, hanging in the void"... maybe I misinterpreted what that was... and it was actually a sudden, inexplicable awareness of what I was... a solitary consciousness hanging in the bulk, surrounded by darkness and silence...

One might argue, firstly, it's not likely we would all be imagining the same reality - but remember it's not exactly the same, and maybe it doesn't need to be, it's close enough - and remember, we're talking on scales of infinity here, nothing is too unlikely.

The second counterpoint to this idea (well, the second one I can think of, I'm sure there are many others) is that if we are each of us Boltzmann Brains, imagining all reality, even if it happens to be the same we're not actually interacting with each other, we're just coincidentally experiencing similar imagined realities... I don't really have a counterpoint to that, except that to me, this distinction just doesn't seem relevant. Maybe realities diverge often, but if this happens then we will no longer be within the same reality, but different branches of the quantum wavefunction - but for the ones that remain coherent ("entangled", if any scientists reading will forgive me butchering these concepts) are effectively the same reality, and if we're all imagining that same reality - then we're all as in the same boat as we were when we thought of our reality as a kind of enclosed bubble habitat rather than a coincidentally shared dream, of a sort.

One final implication of the illusory nature of time in the theory described above is the possibility that there is no objective arrow of time either. Time simply does not exist at all, but the universe exists as a static and unchanging crystal with multiple entanglements within it's lattice, and those that cohere in a certain way make up our perception of the flow of time, but to an outside observer, there is no flow - all frames of the past and future are already extent, and eternal, time being a timeless property like colour on the surface of the static crystals of eternity. If this is the case, the Boltzmann Brain multiverse works basically the same of course, except that we're not separated by objective time anymore - and all "moment states", frozen slides of imagined reality, all exist at once, eternally, simultaneously, but dispersed possibly accross inconceivably vast distances and probably across hyperspatial dimensions as well.

I hope I've provided at least some food for thought and conveyed my fascination with this wonderfully bizarre idea.

Last edited:
My ego death this week on LSD was me getting trapped on the thought if i can simulate realities in this ultra state right now what is it say i am not already in a simulated reality within a mind and it just kept cascading down the rabbit hole similar to the whole boltzman brain thought philosophy i eventually just pure awareness everything was so far away and i was like who is even asking this question what is anything then bam it happened total transcedene of the illusion of self pretty much looking at and becoming god a infinite awareness stretching out forever the visuals of this was unlike anything compared to normal trips where ego death doesn't happen i understood all the insights into attachment to the illusion and suffering and was back in my body again downloading information about the history of the universe.

But right after the god moment i also recognized i wasen't the creator but the creation given a peak into the mind of god. The logic follows that since this entire universes exists and we humans understand cause and effect if there was no primal un created thing nothing would exist since we do our natural ability is to recognize we have a creator that planned this entire thing out. Plants etc animals all life is born knowing a basic function of survival instinct implanted in us by the creator.

Having that moment of where you are just pure awareness does give alot of insight into the nature of things. Alot of physics also dont realize that quantum fields etc which are necessary are also creation and not fundamental. They were bought into being out of complete nothingness but the primal originator which can be called the Almighty god which is complete and nothing acts on it eternal.

Boltzbrains are a good thought experiment but also fall short. I believe time is not a illusion and was also created at the instant of the big bang by god and time itself will come to a end along with all of creation on the said chosen day or ultimate fate of the universe which could be on time scales way beyond our imagination e.g like heat death.

But on simulated realities deep on the LSD it was getting very mind fucky thinking about it then i remembered a thought experiment i did mid trip once a few years ago and now finally just caught up with me remembering it i was trying to simulate or create my own realities within my own mind that were just as real as everybody experiences this physical reality and if i had truly put my consciouness into another simulated reality within my own mind on a acid trip how would i recognize it or even know.

If pure awareness is our true original nature and seeing through the illusion of self as in ego death and coming into union again with god consciousness we were bought into existence from death or nothingness and instilled this within us to experience. This must mean that GOD wants to be known by all so we can take in and see the most epic work of all time which is this entire creation of the universe and everything in it and know that it was in all the great divine plan down to every last atom was carefully planned out to work in perfect balance.

I believe since time is also the creation everything that has happened is predestined but since we also have free will but since god is all powerful he knew what free willed action we were going to do he planned it all out and even planned out the final end of everything which religions all claim is judgement day. No one knows when time itself will come to a end with all of creation expect the all powerful god who created it all. Anybody that claims to even know the end is a liar. But justice has to come to pass hitler and other evil humans don't get off scott free. Justice will be dealt to the entire creation that not even a atoms weight will be done of injustice.

I believe god even planned for every hypothetical situation or realities that we sometimes come across on psychedelics like what if i did this and living it out like it was 100% real. So god knows what we would all do in every single timeline and hypothetical situation. The inner workers of reality are very mind blowing just getting to witness them in moments of transcended brings tears to the absolute perfection of the plan for everything to flow and work together.

It also like the brain in the vat philosophical problem if a sciencetist had a brain in a vat feeding it signals to experince reality that mind wouldn't even know it was in a vat and thus experiencing everything as real.

This then raises the question what is the nature of the ultimate god mind? A eternal all powerful being who can create everything from nothing how do we wrap our mind around the primal source of everything?. Since god is eternal and never had a creation and simply was always there its very hard for a human mind to comprehend it.

I believe there is total objective truth out there though and that day comes to us the day we pass away and given final judgement we will finally be shown all the answers to all the questions we had.

It is true that even god is a eternal mind and thus willed us into existence just by his thought if something holds that power then god is the word it deserves. The nature of the universe relies on mind and eternal consciousness. God hid itself where man would look last within us. The experince of union with source or the ultimate creator mind gives any human great insight into the nature of their own suffering. Buddha achieved it without drugs by just sheer willpower and determination. So if we can ego death without drugs just via meditation this experience is literally the peak of the human life to understand where we came from.

But i believe since we are creation and not the creator our minds are to limited to understand the full extent of god or whatever gods underlying nature and being is.

The reason i reject the botlzman hypothesis since its relies on the creation itself already having quantum properties and thus not a true void of nothing. It doesn't answer the primal un created cause that would create quantum fields that have the ability to support our laws of physics.

Thanks for replying. You are right of course that the main issue with the Boltzmann Brain hypothesis is that it assumes that quantum fields are the progenitor of universes and therefore extant outside of the spacetime we exist within, in some form, which may not be the case.

I also agree with you, I think, about free will not being in conflict with reality being predetermined, and that "god", so to speak, knows what choice we are going to make at all times - in fact we can only ever make one choice, but we don't know what this is going to be until we've made it.

I would say however, that I think this kind of supports the idea of time being to some extent, illusory - of course time exists, just as free will exists, in some sense - and any spatial dimension exists - but the arrow of time may not flow the way we think it does, and "flow" may not even be the most apt description for it. I mean - if god knows everything that's going to happen - and it's only going to happen the way he/she/it intended... then what's the difference between an evolving, changing universe and a static one which contains this flow? For example, take a VHS tape of a film (better way to illustrate the point than more modern video mediums, I think) - the entire story and the flow of time within this story is contained with a static object. But when we watch it, the VHS player obviously rolls the reels and time appears to flow - in this analogy, I think, our minds can be said to be the player - although obviously it's not a perfect comparison because our minds are within the universe rather than the other way round... or are they? 😉

It occurs to me that perhaps this post covers a bit too much and is a little too convoluted to generate a lot of targeted discussion, I've essentially mixed in a lot of my own interpretations with quite a few different speculative hypotheses... I might split it up if people are finding it a bit tiresome to parse... I do have a habit of being overly verbose and really going off on one and sermonising when a more concise post with more room for people to offer their own interpretations from the beginning might generate a bit more discussion... :sneaky: Thanks again for taking the time to read my spiel yourself.

i'm supposed to be working so i can't give this the time it deserves but hope to later on.

i absolutely love the philosophy of physics and hadn't heard of that boltzmann brain idea so thanks for sharing. the connections you make to time reminds me of Julian Barbour's theory that time does not exist, rather there are 'time capsules' which are bubbles that I think are the time analogy of the brain in a Boltzmann brain. I'm really rusty about this stuff so please do forgive me.

you are correct that basically time is a huge mess. while we have operators representing position, momentum, energy, etc, we don't have one for time. so physically we just don't know what it is. the arrow of time adds another mess on top, given the reversibility of most of physics. in fact someone i went to uni with has posited a C theory of time (A and B being more traditional views developed by McTaggart) that time does not have a direction.

i agree that even if we are a momentary blip of consciousness, there is no way we could know and it shouldn't affect the way we live, but its fun to think about.