• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biologically lazy?

Yes i’ve heard a lot about the energy conservation hypothesis and it makes sense. I guess in our time, people with high intrinsic motivation, probably those with high dopamine levels are at an advantage as they always have to be doing something. when I heard about people complaining that they didn’t have work to do, despite the fact that their employers were paying them to do nothing in lockdown, I couldn’t believe it and it’s still a foreign concept to me now. I guess such people find a sense of attachment/purpose when doing hard work or being productive and maybe this gives them pleasure or relief. that’s just my theory, but there could be many other factors involved.
I think those highly energetic, motivated people who are easily bored without some task to do, ALSO fit into the evolutionary pattern. Such individuals would help drive exploration of new areas to live in, develop new tools & techniques for doing things etc. In other words be the explorers and innovators.

PS personally I wildly fluctuate between the two. In general I'm very low-motivation, do the bare minimum and often fail to do even that. But then again I'm constitutionally depressed at a baseline level. Whenever I feel more or less good I want to be DOING stuff a lot of the time. So for myself I can't quite tell if I'm truly an inveterate procrastinator or whether that's just occasioned by a mental illness.

Last edited:
We seem to be a lot alike in many ways. You aren't a Gemini are you?

I also live in an area where I see all the above animals that you mentioned. It is so cool to have my coffee in the AM and listen to the owls ( I have one that is very noisy every morning ) and when daylight breaks I have 3 deer that wander around the back end of my property. Which has also gone wild. About 40 miles from here they caught a bear on their trail cam but luckily I haven't seen one around these parts.

Yeah, the conundrum of housework. Funny how living alone does that to us. I wonder if it's because it's just us living by ourselves so stuff gets undone as nobody is around to help.........or complain ! It's nice that you did all that in your relationships. I'm sure it was appreciated.

Have a good Monday.
I don't take astrology seriously but it does make sense that I'm a Cancer-- since I've been smoking for over 50 years.

Yeah, I love seeing the critters. I once glanced outside and saw a coyote chasing a rabbit. Black bears have been seen close to here, too. There's a small pond (which I built 25 yrs ago) outside my bedroom window and at night in the springtime the frogs sing me to sleep.

Yeah, I've always loved to cook and I don't mind doing laundry (which is odd!) or any outside chore. But housework? Forget it. I rarely have visitors and even then we mostly hang outside, so I don't have the embarrassment factor to motivate me. I'd probably do some decluttering if I met a romantic interest but I'm not actively looking, so clutter it is.

I did in fact have a good Monday. Hope you did too.

A lot of people say I'm lazy and I probably am, But I've got a good excuse for that. I have Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type. So, I basically get lost in my own thoughts from time to time. And when I'm not on my meds I get hyperactive, I hallucinate, I get depressed and I get very bad anxiety. So, I need to do what I have to do to keep myself from getting sick.

No, I don't have aspergers. I was specifically Diagnosed with "Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type."

ohhh, well its in a similar area of the brain , just a working hypothesis is all .

i’m affected by really severe nostalgic emotions, something I made a thread about before. some of my strongest nostalgic memories are those of the Covid lockdown when I literally had nothing I had to do and no routine to follow. I was just reading about how many people reportedly enjoyed it, but also felt extremely guilty about doing nothing. i’ve even seen guides online explaining how to relax without feeling guilty about not working? seriously, what the hell is this? can anyone honestly tell me if they’ve experienced or know someone who’s experienced such a strange emotion? I understand how one could feel guilty about living at the expense of others, but that’s a completely different matter. apparently people feel guilty doing nothing, even if it’s A short-term requirement in their job. in lockdown many were ordered to stay at home and were paid to do so even when not working. I guess that’s partly attributed to a sense of being scroungers on taxpayers money, but I doubt that’s the case for most of them. furthermore, many so-called relaxation guides were likely created before lockdown.
The only explanation I can Think of is that The idea of hard work is ingrained in many peoples consciousness akin to religious values like the pillars of faith for Muslims and the 10 Commandments for Christians. in such a case, whilst many people may not follow them, when they violate this principle of hard work, I wonder if they experience guilt similar to what a religious person would feel when they violate the laws of God according to their teachings.