• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzos for someone with previous alcohol addiction

Kripid

Greenlighter
I self medicated with alcohol and eventually went through withdrawals after a 9 day bender. I went cold turkey (I took 2.5 mg Valium a few times when anxiety was too much). That happened 6 months ago. I have no problem having a drink or two, but if I get drunk next few days are filled with unbearable anxiety. I assume that is kindling and my GABA receptors are messed up.

Since benzos work on same receptors as alcohol, am I going to have problems if I sometimes take benzos? I'm not talking about abusing them, but rather taking low doses maybe once a week, for when I'm in public and my anxiety is high.

That's unusual to have that kind of reaction at such a low dose of Valium, and you don't give any information about your drinking history so it's difficult to say. I've been a problem drinker for the past 10 years, but my doctor doesn't mind giving me a prescription for 1mg Ativan for the same reasons you described. The best bet is to always consult a psychiatrist. We're not doctors and can't give the kind of information you're asking for without more information about your drinking history. Given what you've said though, it's probably best if you don't drink period.

Have you had a drinking addiction in the past? It sounds like you have you have and if so then taking valium may not be best option due to it's addictive nature. Do you just suffer from social anxiety or general as well?

That's unusual to have that kind of reaction at such a low dose of Valium, and you don't give any information about your drinking history so it's difficult to say. I've been a problem drinker for the past 10 years, but my doctor doesn't mind giving me a prescription for 1mg Ativan for the same reasons you described. The best bet is to always consult a psychiatrist. We're not doctors and can't give the kind of information you're asking for without more information about your drinking history. Given what you've said though, it's probably best if you don't drink period.

I drank every other day for about a year, 5-15 drinks. Then I went on a 9 day bender where I was drinking from the moment I woke up. That may not be much compared to others and my withdrawals didn't include DTs or seizures, but still that shit got me terrified. I haven't drank since September.

Have you had a drinking addiction in the past? It sounds like you have you have and if so then taking valium may not be best option due to it's addictive nature. Do you just suffer from social anxiety or general as well?

My anxiety increases in certain social situations. Worst parts are physical symptoms like shakes, faster heartbeat, problems breathing...

I drank every other day for about a year, 5-15 drinks. Then I went on a 9 day bender where I was drinking from the moment I woke up. That may not be much compared to others and my withdrawals didn't include DTs or seizures, but still that shit got me terrified. I haven't drank since September.

My anxiety increases in certain social situations. Worst parts are physical symptoms like shakes, faster heartbeat, problems breathing...

Sounds to me like you might want to speak to your Dr about a drug called propanlol it effectively lowers blood pressure. It can help with all of those symptoms you've listed.

Sounds to me like you might want to speak to your Dr about a drug called propanlol it effectively lowers blood pressure. It can help with all of those symptoms you've listed.

I will consider that, thanks :)

I’ve a poly addiction to both. One usually comes with the other with these two drugs. Bentos have helped me out of more than few bad withdrawals but saying that I’ve got myself in some pretty bad states mixing them. My doctor won’t prescribe me them because of my drug history. I get them on the street.

A low low dose like your talking about imo won’t cause you a great deal of harm the harm begins when you say well I’ve got benzos to sort me out tomorrow so I can have a few more than usual and deal with the anxiety. Slippery slope.

word to the wise... never ever mix Xanax and vodka. IMO one of the worst drug combos there is.

We have a similar history except I've been on a lot more (and lot longer) benders than you that have landed me in hospitals/detoxes numerous times. There are multiple options. Propranolol has been mentioned, there are antidepressants, and there is clonidine another blood pressure medication that's a mild downer.

Yeah, I've gotten into some bad situations mixing Ativan and booze. Benzos and booze should never under any circumstances be mixed. I'm glad I have them though. I've been in enough detox centers I pretty much know how to do it myself and I don't take very many of them. The problem with when you mix the two is you black out and wake up the following morning with an empty bottle of benzos.

I'm taking propranolol right now and it definitely will help with the shakes, heart palpitations and such.

Benzos are a cleaner booze buzz basically, xanax especially due to the need for re dosing. I prefer alcohol over xanax, Valium blows booze and alprazo outta the water though, the one time I tried Valium I was like "I'm not a benzo guy usually but I could take this for the rest of my life, happily"

Talk to a doctor about baclfoen treatment OP. That can be a really useful substitute for alcohol and is used to treat alcohol use disorder (which you sound like you'd qualify for).

You might also check out naltrexone, although I have mixed feelings about that stuff it has helped a lot of folks with alcohol use disorder from what I read.

If you've been dependent on any gabaergic substance in the past, messing with benzos or any other gabaergic can be tricky. Not saying it is inherently a bad idea, as some people definitely benefit from being on a benzo like lorazepam/diazepam/clonazepam or another gabaergic like substance such as baclofen or gabapentin.

But as someone else mentioned, a doctor is the best person to discuss this with. It's all very individual. The fact you've had issues with alcohol is a warning sign to be careful with any benzo use, but it doesn't necessarily mean you can't or shouldn't use benzos period. It might mean that, but it might not.

Benzos are a cleaner booze buzz basically, xanax especially due to the need for re dosing. I prefer alcohol over xanax, Valium blows booze and alprazo outta the water though, the one time I tried Valium I was like "I'm not a benzo guy usually but I could take this for the rest of my life, happily"

Alcohol is a lot more wide ranging in it's effects on neurochemistry than benzos.

Its generally frowned upon for recovering alcoholics to use benzos because the affects can mimic alcohol and you'll switch addictions.
Although "they" say that about all alcohol and drugs, if you'll get addicted to one you'll get addicted to another because you're an addict blah blah blah.
I do see how that's true for some people but it's not a hard fact.
I'm a recovering alcoholic and I take Clonazepam and have never abused it. I've actually had benzo prescriptions on and off for years, before I developed an alcohol problem and even while I was drinking, but even then I didn't take anything above my dose or (purposely at least) mix it with drinking.
If you were able to manage your drinking and you're able to have a drink or two now it doesn't sound like you would go and get yourself hooked on benzos but you're the only one who can really know that.
See a doctor but not just a general practioner, what you described sounds like an anxiety disorder/social anxiety. Your regular doctor usually doesn't know enough about psych issues to responsibly give you meds. See a psychiatrist. I'm not saying you need to go to therapy or get a formal diagnosis, just that when you're dealing with these kinds of meds you need to get them from a doctor who knows more about them.

What you experience is not due to benzodiazepine withdrawal, but simply your anxiety coming back when the anxiolytic effects wear off. The use of benzodiazepine can cause rebound anxiety after short-term use (4-8 weeks depending on the benzodiazepine analogue), but this more often happens in case of short-lasting benzodiazepines such as alprazolam or lorazepam, diazepam is self-tapering to an extent in the short-term use and due to long half-life of its metabolites it's used in the tapering process from shorter-acting benzodiazepines in benzodiazepine-dependent patients. At your dose of diazepam I would bet it's your existing anxiety that is coming back, but the level of your anxiety has certainly a lot to do with your alcohol (ab)use. Your anxiety has initially appeared for some reason and it would be beneficial for you to find out this reason and fix it. Benzodiazepines as anxiolytics are justified really only when the symptoms of anxiety disorganizes your every day life and makes you unable to function normally. In my personal opinion that is not necessarily an indication to prescribe them either, if your reaction to something in your environment is extreme anxiety, then taking a pill to suppress that emotion and continue as if there was no stressor present is only going to exacerbate the problem, which may be the environment itself or some part of it. Unfortunately, the way we all as a society accept to live working our asses off over our physical and mental limits makes the use of benzodiazepine seem justified to bring the level of stress down when we find ourselves on the edge and incapable of fulfilling our duties while the right attitude should be to find the root of what's causing the problem.