• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo protracted withdrawals...I feel mentally disabled

phillycheese

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I was on valium for almost 2 years for an ear condition that causes pain and tightness from any type of stress such as OCD and anxiety. I decided to get off of it because I wanted to try a different remedy for treating the condition. I went through a detox center and they gave me Phenobarbital for one week. I was surprised it was doable to get off valium so fast without any complication such as seizures. But now it seems my anxiety and OCD has gotten worse, hence the ear condition also flares up.

It has been two weeks since I got out of detox, and it seems like my recovery from the diazepam has worsen. I feel very mentally slow and my social anxiety has gotten worse. I am currently on disability leave with my company, but my leave ends on Monday, and my doctor and I both agreed I am not yet able to go back to work, so she will try to talk to them to extend it as I go to outpatient and OCD treatment.

My main symptoms that really bother me are increased anxiety and it also feels like I am in a dream like state often, and it is hard to think. My thinking is very linear and on the surface if that makes sense. I can't tell if this is part of the Gabapentin medication I am on.

I'm wondering whether anybody else has had these symptoms? I feel totally out of reality and dealing with stress is very hard!

gabapentin helped my anxiety but also worsened my cognitive abilities big time..i felt like i was in an altered state and it wasnt pleasant so this strange state u are in is probably due to both withdrawals and gabapentin..

the symptoms you describe are what everyone that quits benzos goes through, very typical symptoms..much worsened anxiety, mind fuzz, insomnia, list goes on and on..

Diazepam's long half-life usually means you want notiice if you dont take it for a few days, same with pheno. But then it could hit you like a train

Those symptoms are definitely normal for benzo withdrawal. I went through protracted withdrawal from benzos for about a year and a half before getting back on my Klonopin. I had similar symptoms like increased anxiety, trouble thinking/memory problems, more prone to stress, and a whole host of other problems. The dream-like state you describe sounds like derealization (feelings of unreality, feeling of being detached or being in a dream) which is very common with benzo withdrawal and anxiety in general. I also experienced worsening of my OCD during the withdrawal, at least to the extent that I found myself looping/obsessing constantly. I'm not trying to scare you though, you might not necessarily experience those symptoms for as long as I did, everyone's experience is different -- moreso just trying reassure you that what you're experiencing is not uncommon.

I do wanna point out that, since you've only been off the Valium for 2 weeks, you are most likely still going through acute withdrawal. It only becomes protracted if the symptoms persist after the acute phase is over, which can be about 6 months for benzos. Rapid tapers (including those using Phenobarbital) or going cold turkey seem to be the most common causes of protracted withdrawal. It is not a guaranteed thing though, so try not to freak yourself out about it too much.

In my opinion, I would talk to your doctor about what's happening and see if you can get back on the Valium temporarily, stabilize on it for about a week and then start to taper very slowly (2mg per week is a good way to go). I don't know if your doctor would be willing to do that but it's definitely worth a shot. It would treat your immediate symptoms and tapering properly should help avoid any protracted withdrawal symptoms in the future.

If you can't get back on the Valium to taper, you could ask about starting an antidepressant or a mood stabilizer, or there may be supplements you can take. Avoid anything that affects the GABA receptors; it might temporarily make you feel better, but will prolong the withdrawal and worsen symptoms in the long run. When I was in protracted withdrawal, even a small glass of wine would exacerbate my symptoms for a week or two and certain supplements seemed to make me worse as well.

The withdrawal will definitely fade with time, but it's impossible to predict how long it will last. I'm not sure how long you have been on the gabapentin, but it may actually help some of your symptoms (despite the name, it doesn't actually affect GABA receptors). There are non-drug techniques you can try as well, e.g. breathing exercises, meditation or working out, things like that. Keeping your mind occupied (gaming, playing an instrument, whatever you like to do) can help take your mind off of it.

You should check out the Ashton Manual (by Dr. Healther Ashton). It's basically a guidebook for benzos and their withdrawal, there's a lot of good information in there about both acute and protracted withdrawal, tapering properly, and things you can do to help mitigate withdrawal symptoms.
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Good luck, hope everything goes well for you.

Last edited: