• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Being Competitive is NEVER good

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a difference between being competitive and stabbing people in the back.... I can be competitive with someone without resorting to shade.
I've been competitive with a couple of local Djs in Indy and it makes me strive to play out, play better and play more... not to steal gigs, talk smack, and derail their career.
If you go thru life without competition, I highly doubt you'll get anywhere... how can you if you're content with where you are in life? That's with anything....? music... work... djing... sports....
I don't think you can develope if you're not competing against something... even if it's with yourself.
-physix

"If you go thru life without competition, I highly doubt you'll get anywhere... how can you if you're content with where you are in life? That's with anything....? music... work... djing... sports...."
You could be so enthralled with the idea of being able to do the next thing that the competition doesn't matter:
I.E: the top scratcher might be so the idea of being able to pull of some new technique that he works until s/he can do it.
A top skater might love the idea of being able to pull of a casper to casper (I don't know if all top skaters can do this, I know mullen can) that they just are obsessed with doing it.
I'm sure examples could easily be brought up for each one, I don't see why competition is required...
Onto the DJing thing ->
You may be plunged into competition with the other people who are fighting for the same resources as you. And of course you have to publicise yourself as much as possible.
But when you play out, you will probably do a better job if you concentrate on being the best you can be fully rather than making sure you are better than the other people.
In the original post I said that competition did make a lot of people more productive. I just also said that it would make them far harder to be happy, and that, in my opinion matters more than productivity.

Sometimes I wish I could be a bit more competative as I feel my life is dragging on a bit in the same old drudgery and I'm not really pushing myself to achive anything. However I don't feel there is much point in competing, I'm firm in my belief there is no subject at which I could compete in and create a positive competative influence, I would just end up trying to hold myself up to others and becoming disenchanted with failure.

Being competative is making the most of life. It's ruthless, animalistic and it doesn't make excuses. If you experience the bottom you will appreciate the top. Competition allows people to make it to the top, it keeps people at the bottom. It is a wonderfully caotic principle (Homogonized by modern political theory and sold as baby food to the toiling massess).
Converslly I would also argue that our western way of life is a consequnce of historical materialism. And so, if you change the economic circumstances such that no competition is present, competition as a way of life, will be eliminated.
As for myself. Competition can eat a dick.
-- fb1 Master of Space and Time

Originally posted by Setarcos:
"If you go thru life without competition, I highly doubt you'll get anywhere... how can you if you're content with where you are in life? That's with anything....? music... work... djing... sports...."
You could be so enthralled with the idea of being able to do the next thing that the competition doesn't matter:
I.E: the top scratcher might be so the idea of being able to pull of some new technique that he works until s/he can do it.

{edit}
Agreed... but I think that's a form of competing with one's self.... For instance... if you go from skiing to playing the piano... the first time you tried to play the piano, you couldn't do it very well... mayb e you were enthralled in skiing so you were like, "i'll try this later"... or maybe you were like "man, I can't do this but I can ski -- so let me try this and put skiing on the backburner..." In either case, you are (in essence) competing with yourself... you can't do something now but you like it so you've challeneged yoruself to get better at it... competing with one's self is still competing... we challenge ourselves everyday.. how can we NOT and still evolve...?
I think many people see the words "competetive" and they think of one jock saying to another "man i'm gonna fuckin' kick yer ass in this basketball game" and it's not necessarily JUST that...
Originally posted by Setarcos:
Onto the DJing thing ->
You may be plunged into competition with the other people who are fighting for the same resources as you. And of course you have to publicise yourself as much as possible.
But when you play out, you will probably do a better job if you concentrate on being the best you can be fully rather than making sure you are better than the other people.
In the original post I said that competition did make a lot of people more productive. I just also said that it would make them far harder to be happy, and that, in my opinion matters more than productivity.

But if you are truly in "the game" to get notoriety, or to land that gig in Ibiza, or to be a world-travelling Dj, then you CANNOT sit on your laurels and be like "well, *I* like my style and mixing..." if you're not getting the gigs, then you have to ask yourself why....... now there's so much more to getting a gig than just talent, so it's not a black and white issue.... politicals and who you know play a larger part than talent in alot of cases... and sure, if you have talent eventually someone WILL recognize it... let's just hope that someone is in a position to further yoru career in some way.
Now, if you're into Djing just because you like to do it, then that "competition with others" thing may not be there... but there is still usually a competition with yourself... "Man, I fucked that mix up... next time I'll get it right, tho"... guess what...? You're competing with yourself....
It's all about balance.... I'm competitive, but not to the point to where I'm staying up late at night and losing sleep over the fact that Dj X got a gig over me... it's all in waves... Before the summer, i had hardly any gigs, then sumer hit and I got booked to play alot of the bigger festivals in North America including WEMF and Live on teh Decks 5.
But I only get better when I strive to GET better... and that doesn't happen in a vaccuum. There's a stimulus that helps me along...
Adam Jay, a producer-Dj in Indy, has like 6 releases out now on labels that I frequently buy and respect (Zync, Primevil, Placktown Sounds)... he has made me focus on production more because of his success... is that bad? Certainly not...
It's when you let it get to you and you start becoming a dick -- that's when you're taking it too far.
-physix
[ 13 August 2002: Message edited by: Physix Media ]
[ 13 August 2002: Message edited by: Physix Media ]

He he, know about Adam Jay :D
I may have to concede that some forms of competition are good.
Arguing some points with someone must be counted as a competition, and yet I have to see it as a good thing as through the process you improve your opinion.
Hmmm, Ok, I guess I will now have to side with the people that say that some competition is good and some bad. I think it is essential that you are still acting on what you want to do, and not letting the competition take you places you wouldn't want to go normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.