• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Baby ate cannabis oil as dad bagged Meth

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
iStock_000046090374_Medium_620x310.jpg

A baby ate a cannabis oil capsule while her father was in the kitchen with his friends bagging up methamphetamine, a court has heard.

The 11-month-old's young mother last week pleaded guilty to a charge of ill-treating/neglecting a child under the age of 18 at Napier District Court.

Judge Geoff Rea made an interim order suppressing the woman's name with the matter to be revisited at sentencing next month.

Last July, after a 20-minute run to the shops for milk formula, the woman arrived home to find her daughter alone in the lounge and vomiting green foam, a summary said.

Her then partner - the child's father, who minded the child while she was out - was busy bagging up methamphetamine in the kitchen with several associates. The mother wiped green tar from around her baby's mouth and nose and retrieved a plastic capsule from her mouth.

"She knew straight away that her daughter had eaten a cannabis oil cap," the summary states.

The drugs had been left on a chair by one of the associates.

Not sure if she should call an ambulance, the woman took advice from one of the associates who said the baby would be okay and "would just sleep it off".

After ordering the child's father and his friends to leave, the woman allowed her daughter to fall asleep in her arms before they both went to bed. She awoke at about 9pm to her daughter vomiting again and with a high temperature.

The woman first tried phoning the child's father and his friends before dialling 111 nearly 20 minutes later.

The ambulance arrived within seven minutes, but the woman did not confess her daughter had eaten cannabis oil. She also chose not to tell hospital staff, the facts state. About five hours later the woman revealed to her stepfather drugs had made her daughter sick, before also coming clean to hospital staff.

The woman said she "wasn't processing things at the time ... she didn't want to get in trouble".

She told police she called the ambulance with concerns her daughter would die. The woman also told police although she did not take drugs around her daughter she had been a regular meth user at the time of the incident and had taken the drug the previous night.

On recovery, the baby was put into the care of her grandparents. The woman's lawyer said Child Youth and Family were also involved.

The New Zealand Drug Foundation's website states three main products are derived from cannabis, cannabis oil described as the most potent.

The woman was remanded until April for sentencing.

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11612941

That sounds like neglect, plain and simple. Bad dad.

I feel some empathy for the mom, who was worried about getting into trouble (and possibly losing her child), so even though her choice to hide the truth from the hospital was VERY STUPID, I can try to forgive her.

She deserves everything she gets n I don't have empathy with her at all. Fancy not taking the child to hospital straight away, before that leaving her with people bagging up lots of meth. She only cared for herself so glad her kid was taken n hope doesn't get her back the selfish person. Absolutely despicable.

Evey

^ i dont think you have any empathy^ full stop.

people make mistakes, hers was to trust a drug dealer to be responsible. why did he associate with idiots and why leave it where a child can get it?

lots of stupid elements to this, at the same time, will cannabis oil kill you? very unlikely, might make you sick for a day or two but it has a very high safety profile and LD50

my concern is what if it was meth? then the child would really be fucked

I havr empathy but not for a woman who chose her self over her baby daughter. When it comes to your child's health they come first. A loving mam would have instantly taken that child to hospital n to hell with getting in trouble as long as the child was safe.

Yes the father was just as bad n should be in trouble too for neglect. Leaving substance by a baby was stupid n irresponsible. None of themdeserve the child, in my opinion, as they've proved that they're willing to put their selves before the baby's safety. Had she taken that child straight to hospital like ant loving mam would I'd havd been empathic but that baby is innocent n did not deserve to go through that x

Evey

I',m with po'facedho on this one. What if it was a capsule of meth? Would that have changed her actions?

Generally once a mother becomes pregnant an instinct of preservation kicks in when it comes to their children. This woman just made a series of mistakes that placed her desire to be loved, over her desire to care/protect.

This woman does not deserve to have her kids taken away. She deserves to go to a center, with her daughter, that teaches proper parenting and decision-making. If there was meth present she may need some rehab.

@evelvibe: Not everyone is beyond saving, and it is impossible to know someones motives by a news article. I would pray for this woman, and pray for the child.

@evelvibe: Not everyone is beyond saving, and it is impossible to know someones motives by a news article. I would pray for this woman, and pray for the child.

I do agree with this, that we do not know what truly happened n we all know that newspapers have a tendency to exaggerate situations in order to tell stories. Let's hope she learns something from this and gets some help.

Evey

Why is the mother getting the charge? Seems like its the fathers charge. Wow.. women's suffrage has not hit this country?

This woman does not deserve to have her kids taken away. She deserves to go to a center, with her daughter, that teaches proper parenting and decision-making. If there was meth present she may need some rehab.

Way too idealistic buddy. You cant teach people to not be selfish. She has a personality flaw that at the very least will severely limit her parenting. And rehab is a fucking joke this forum is full of people that have been to rehab including myself many times man.

This is just all around really fucked up.

But on an entirely different note, even for an 11 month old baby, why would eating a capsule of cannabis oil cause her to get a fever??

Could it just have weakened her immune system because she was so young so she caught something??

I can't see anything other than that that would cause even a baby that young to get a fever from nothing other than cannabis.

I',m with po'facedho on this one. What if it was a capsule of meth? Would that have changed her actions?

Generally once a mother becomes pregnant an instinct of preservation kicks in when it comes to their children. This woman just made a series of mistakes that placed her desire to be loved, over her desire to care/protect.

I agree with you, manboychef.
Taking the daughter away from her will only lead to more suffering.
The mother may be able to heal and learn to parent more responsibly.
She needs help, though.

And NSA: interesting stuff about body temp and cannabis. I hadn't heard of that connection before.