• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ayahuasca recipe for B. Caapi + P. Viridis + Passion Flower?

Axed

Bluelighter
I have 4 ounces of B. Caapi and P. Viridis, and about 3 ounces of Passion Flower foliage. I know the Passion Flower isn't essential, but since I have it and I know it's a MAOI, I want to use it.
I am going to be brewing for 2 or 3 people, including myself.

I would appreciate if you guys could share your recipes.

This will be my first time brewing ayahuasca. I have brewed San Pedro before, and the process seems to be somewhat similar. I have plenty of time to brew, so that is not an issue.

Thank you in advance :)

Well I wouldn't brew the MAOIs up with the DMT because oral DMT because the MAO enzymes in the intesines are disbaled by the MAOIs. It makes more ense to disable said MAO ezymes before ingesting the DMT. The traditional method probably results in an inefficient "on the fly" DMT experience. The natives didn't know what they were doing.

DMT is not orally active but is metabolized by the stomach enzyme monoamine oxidase (MAO). Certain chemicals in the vine inhibit the action of MAO and are therefore referred to as MAO-inhibitors: their presence in the brew makes the psychoactive principle available and allows it to circulate through the bloodstream into the brain, where it triggers the visionary access to otherworldly realms and beings.

The Ayahuasca Experience: A Sourcebook on the Sacred Vine of Spirits. Ralph Metzner (editor). 2014. Introduction.

passionflower info:

'Constituents' section from the 'Passiflora spp.' entry in The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants (Christian Rätsch, 2005) (Pgs. 416–417).

It was once thought that harmane alkaloids were the active constituents in Passiflora incarnata and other species (Lohdefink and Rating 1974; cf. β-carbolines, harmine and harmaline).275 One can sometimes read in the literature that 100 g of dried Passiflora incarnata herbage contains approximately 10 mg of harmane alkaloids, but this amount is highly questionable (Meier 1995b, 120). It is possible that cinnamic acid derivatives and coumarins were mistaken for harmanes during the analysis (Meier et al. 1994, 38). Maltol (a j-pyrone), once thought to be the main active constituent, is actually a by-product produced when the raw plant material is heated and cannot be responsible for the effects. The most recent research indicates that the C-glycosylflavones apigenine and luteoline are the main active constituents (Meier 1995b, 120; Meier 1995a; Meier et al. 1994). The following compounds are present in Passiflora incarnata: vicenine-2, isoorientine-2"-O-glucoside, schaftoside, isoschaftoside, isoorientine, isovitexine-2"-O-glucoside, isovitexine, and swertisine. Orientine and vitexine are present only in trace amounts. Saponarine, which was thought to be a component as well, is absent (Meier 1995a). Passiflora jorullensis contains passicol, harmol, harmane, harmine, harmalol, and harmaline (Emboden 1979, 187*). The mucilaginous pulp (mesocarp) of passion fruit (Passiflora edulis) consists primarily of 2 to 4% citric acid, relatively little ascorbic acid (only 20 to 50 mg per 100 g of pulp), carotenoids (0.5 to 2.5 mg per 100 g of pulp), starch, and more than two hundred aromatic substances (Meier 1995b, 116ff.). There is no evidence indicating whether harmanes occur in the fruit.

The roots of Passiflora involucrata appear to be rich in β-carbolines with MAO-inhibiting properties. The chemistry of the flowers of Passiflora foetida has not yet been clarified (Argueta V. et al. 1994, 119*).

NOTE: For some reasons only the Meier references are included in the damn book. I've observed that missing references is a repeat issue throughout the book.

Meier, Beat. 1995a. Passiflora herba pharmazeutische Qualitat. Zeitschrift fur Phytotherapie 16 (2): 90-99.

Meier, Beat. 1995b. Passiflora incarnata L. Passionsblume: Portrait einer Arzneipflanze. Zeitschriftfur Phytotherapie 16 (2): 115-26.

Meier, Beat, Anne Rehwald, and Marianne Meier-Liebi. 1994. Passiflora. In Hagers Handbuch der pharmazeutischen Praxis, 5th ed., 6:34-49. Berlin: Springer.