Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aussie questions on legalisation

losthippy

Bluelighter
Greetings from Oz. I'm curious about how the decriminalisation of cannabis for personal use deals with key issues that must touch consumers in some form or another. Perhaps the recently un-yoked folk in Washington State or Colorado might care to comment on a couple of key points some well-meaning Aussie reformists tend to shy away from but which need to be realistically confronted here, like or no-like.

Employment - is someone who uses cannabis precluded from jobs in positions of influence or authority eg. teachers, public servants, politicians etc? How about those in mining/forestry/aviation/public transport/construction? Will the change in legislation mean more workplace drug-testing, amended job-descriptions and/or tougher screening for applicants and incumbents?

Insurance - what happens if someone has an accident behind the wheel or in the workplace resulting in injury or property damage and they are found with cannabis in their system? How have insurers and employers adjusted their policies and protocols when it comes to cannabis use in the workplace and broader community? I am assuming there are caveats already in place for medicinal cannabis users - if so, what restrictions or limitations are imposed on people wishing to acquire this medication? Would existing guidelines simply swing across and apply to newly emerged recreational consumers?

Legal - where does the law stand on cannabis users' 'fitness' to sign or witness legal documents, testify in court or enter into other forms of binding arrangement based on a person's mental competence at the time of agreement? Do people wishing to get car/truck/bus/aviation/nautical licences have to submit to sobriety tests or sign wavers of any sort?

IMHO, the Aussie cannabis scene has grown used to operating under the radar over the last 40 years and with few exceptions there has been little political will (other than JJ McRoach and the Australian Marijuana Party in the early 70's and the South Australian Govt. for a time) to 'open the other eye' on the matter. The Federal Govt. still bundles any talk on recreational cannabis use into the 'too-hard' basket and medical/therapeutic considerations continue dragging-on despite the proven benefits. Hats-off to the willing few working to change attitudes here, and I hope any feedback on this international forum might be picked-up in OZ and prove useful in consigning prohibition to the scrapheap - albeit eventually. Thanks in advance for your comments. Stay safe.

Mod... I've inadvertently posted this thread in the wrong forum. Any chance someone can shift this to the main Cannabis forum? Cheers

Last edited:
Damn good questions. I've got the answers to some, but they're all secondhand... I'll wait and see if anybody from (or familiar with the situations in) WA or CO can shed some light on the subject.

Interesting thread and questions.

IMHO, the Aussie cannabis scene has grown used to operating under the radar over the last 40 years and with few exceptions there has been little political will

This seems to be the ongoing case here sadly doesn't it. That Australia 21 has some good ideas and reports, but in terms of cannabis, can anyone here really see anything changing anytime soon? To me it feels like we are going to have to wait and see what happens in America with Colo and Washington and any other places that follow, and then ages after we might see more of a push for it. So many people here seem to be stuck in the old age view of cannabis being a deadly and hugely dangerous drug and the political parties wont to get their votes and wont touch on the subject of cannabis hardly at all.

It's sad, but I really don't see much changing here in relation to cannabis in the next decade and possible even 2 decades. We might get medical cannabis, but it will probably be just that pharmaceutical nasal spray, I doubt it will be like in America where you can go buy buds and edibles and such.

It's such a waste of money, time and resources to keep trying to keep cannabis so illegal here, so many people smoke it and yet they keep doing the sniffer dogs and the cannabis eradication programmes and those kinds of things. It makes so much sense to regulate it and tax it like alcohol and tobacco, and make money from it for the government instead of spending so much money to try and stop it.

Ah well, what can you do.

Write your representatives guys! I'd love to see MMJ spread to down under. %)

Everyone around the world deserves it TBH. :D

Is there like an ACLU for Australia? I know the ACLU is the American Civil Liberties Union, is there an Australian Civil Liberties Union, or equivalent?

I guess folks informed enough to respond to this post are all too stoned to try, and I guess apathy is what will also keep Aussie ganja users uninformed and zzz-ing under the table. Pity.

I guess folks informed enough to respond to this post are all too stoned to try, and I guess apathy is what will also keep Aussie ganja users uninformed and zzz-ing under the table. Pity.

Honestly, I just wanted someone to answer with definitive answers from firsthand accounts before I tried my hand at answering what I can from your post. :)

1 - In the US, legal use of cannabis can but won't necessarily restrict you from certain occupations. While they can't fire you for using medicine outside of work, they can drug test an employee and, as most of us know, urinalyses don't tell you when a person smoked cannabis, just that they've indulged in the past 1-90 days. Having the prescription = keep your job. Give a dirty UA = likely lose your job (but it's moreso up to the employer whether or not to terminate a dirty worker-- some will, some won't). So yeah, using marijuana legally can still hinder your employment opportunities in the US.

2 - As far as I know, the only guideline I know of is to not operate heavy machinery while under the influence. Legal users can still get DUIs just like your run-of-the-mill drunk, and court systems and insurance companies investigating any incidents will not be happy that one of the people they insure was under the influence at the time of their workplace or vehicular accident. Essentially, the cops treat a weed-related DUI identically to one for alcohol, the difference lies in how they gather evidence for each of those respective case types.

3 - I actually haven't the slightest clue on this one. I doubt there's a specific precedent, but I'm left to assume that the law views marijuana intoxication as akin to alcohol intoxication, and much like having a drunk sign a confession or a contract, a person could have any documents they signed whilst under the influence nullified. The trick would be proving that the person in question was high at the time of the signature, though.

CD guidelines state that threads dealing with legalization of cannabis are really best suited for regional forums, but it is up to the mod's discretion.

I think in this case you will get alot more feedback if this were posted in ADD.

CD---->>>>ADD