View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Attempting a cure to psychedelic nausea

CrypticArc

Bluelighter
Everyone knows about ginger and lemon oil, the 5ht3a antagonists. The main well-known mechanism for nausea when taking psychedelics is 5ht3a, but recently in researching oral cebil, I've found out that psychedelics also bind to 5ht4 which has been found to be linked to gastrointestinal distress AS WELL AS anxiety in mice.

"The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether a nutritionally essential amino acid, L-lysine, acts like a serotonin receptor 4 (5-HT4) antagonist... Orally applied L-lysine (1 g/kg of body weight) inhibited (P < 0.12) diarrhea triggered by coadministration of restraint stress and 5-hydroxytryptophane (10 mg/kg of body weight), and significantly blocked anxiety induced by the 5-HT4 receptor agonist (3.0 mmol/liter) in rats in vivo. ...An increase in nutritional load of L-lysine might be a useful tool in treating stress-induced anxiety and 5-HT-related diarrhea-type intestinal dysfunctions."

so I've re-strategized. Apparently menthol is a 5ht3 antagonist as well, and is good for nausea. Here's my recipe for the psychedelic nausea cure:

1000mg L-lysine (I have yet to test out the effective dosage but I feel that one capsule is a good starting point)

5-10 drops lemon essential oil

3-5 drops peppermint, wintergreen or similar oil

2 capsules of powdered ginger or a heaping cup of ginger tea

What do you guys think? Any feedback appreciated. Feel free to try it out. I will be testing this formula out this coming bicycle day! I will improve the recipe by testing it.

I don't know about efficacy, but your breath is gonna smell grrreat!
Seriously though, I hope it works.
Let us know, oral DMT would be much more enjoyable w/out the nausea.

It might work, but really, there's no point when ondansetron (brand name Zofran), a clinical strength 5ht3a antagonist, is readily available on the net.

Ondansetron is not available in all places without a prescription, and my method has added health benefits. I've tried ondansetron and it doesn't completely cure the nausea. I think that the L-lysine is a vital part of the formula even with ondansetron.

Last edited:
It might work, but really, there's no point when ondansetron (brand name Zofran), a clinical strength 5ht3a antagonist, is readily available on the net.
Yes! It works in all accords....

Then just man up, and take the nausea. It's apart of the trip..!;)

I cannot stand drug-induced nausea. It really distracts me and pushes my head to a difficult place. I think there is value in trying to overcome this aversion, but I find it very hard to enjoy myself when physically ill. I get quite a lot of anxiety based nausea, hence I associate nasuea with tension, worry, etc. Surprisingly, I find the nausea of ayahuasca to be something I can manage as it feels like another layer of the trip, and the purging is totally euphoric. I get much worse 'chemical' nausea from synthetics, especially psilocybin analogues.

I've tried dopaminergic drugs for nausea such as metaclopramide and promethazine. The former was helpful but I recall it having some effect on serotonin and I sought to avoid it. Promethazine is useful and I take it whenever I need it, but it has pretty powerful psychoactive effects of its own. For now, I look at drug-nausea as something to be avoided and the only way I can avoid it is taking reasonably small doses and irregularly.

Then just man up, and take the nausea. It's apart of the trip..!;)

I have always had problems with getting car sick, I frequently have stomach problems sober and I'm sensitive to getting sick. I have learned how to handle the nausea, but if it's preventable, why should I?

Yeah, I don't really agree that is in an inherent or valuable part of the trip. To me, its a side-effect that I would rather avoid. Like you, CrypticArc, I get nausea from other non-psychedelic things and I don't really consider that something useful. Its distracting and can really bring me down.

I do think that some nausea comes from anxiety, in which case trying to work through it could be beneficial. But, nausea can also be simply caused by the chemical in the right part of the brain, and this isn't something that can necceassrily be worked through without meds or time. I don't think that 'manning up' will really help you very much when the effect is being induced by a chemical; really, only metabolism of that chemical or displacement/nullification with medicine is the only thing that 'cure' nausea. There's nothing weak or feminine in nausea and nothing especially macho or strong in being able to handle it. Some people are simply prone to nausea when their brains are flying through the multi-universal-hexagon of souls.

Do you find weed helpful at all for nausea? I find a tiny hit, a puff, is often enough to settle my stomach and not trip me out too much. For me, weed makes me instantly hungry and I don't really feel nauseous when hungry...

Last edited:
I agree that nausea can be potentially distracting. I'm curious about your recipe, since there is some logic behind it. Let us know how it goes!

Yeah, I don't really agree that is in an inherent or valuable part of the trip. To me, its a side-effect that I would rather avoid. Like you, CrypticArc, I get nausea from other non-psychedelic things and I don't really consider that something useful. Its distracting and can really bring me down.

I do think that some nausea comes from anxiety, in which case trying to work through it could be beneficial. But, nausea can also be simply caused by the chemical in the right part of the brain, and this isn't something that can necceassrily be worked through without meds or time. I don't think that 'manning up' will really help you very much when the effect is being induced by a chemical; really, only metabolism of that chemical or displacement/nullification with medicine is the only thing that 'cure' nausea. There's nothing weak or feminine in nausea and nothing especially macho or strong in being able to handle it. Some people are simply prone to nausea when their brains are flying through the multi-universal-hexagon of souls.

Do you find weed helpful at all for nausea? I find a tiny hit, a puff, is often enough to settle my stomach and not trip me out too much. For me, weed makes me instantly hungry and I don't really feel nauseous when hungry...

weed does help but it certainly isn't a cure on it's own