are we becoming too mainstream?

ezroller808

Bluelighter
Does anyone think that we have become too mainstream? Cause it used to be if you saw someone with say apair of ufo's, you knew they were a party kid. Now, at least in my town, there are like three or four stores that cater to party kids and every 14 year old has em. its cool to dress like a raver now. I hate it. And when we do have a party around here, its gets flooded with club ho's and meatheads. Now while I think its great for new people to join the scene, these kids are in it for all the wrong reasons. They don't go for the music, and they don't dance. They are there strictly to do "E" I guess I just get worried that these kids will be the death of our scene that I have come to love quite a bit. Let me know if you feel this way too.
peace.

yes yes and yes!! but that's what pop culture does to every sub culture- that's why i try to avoid ufos, caffeines, and buggirls.. can you guys believe that this 40ish year old woman came up to me and asked if the pants i was wearing were ufos or caffeines? think about how "trendy" these labels have become for a 40 year old woman to hear about it... it sucks!! and whats with the commercialization of electronic music? look at fatboy slim and chemical brothers, crystal method... (i like their music but i think they sold out) anyhow, enuff with me ranting...

i'm irritated by people who do something just because its not mainsteam, or just to be different. to me, that's just as bad as someone who conforms. who gives a shit of tons of other people enjoy what you do? the more the merrier in my opinon. my likes and desires are not fuled by what the general public thinks is cool/not cool. and to be frank, its people like you who are ruining the scene, passing judgement on 'meatheads' and 'club hos' without even really knowing why they are there. chances are they're there for many of the same reasons you are, and if they aren't, who cares? its all about making it what YOU want it to be, and being accepting of other people.
just my $.02.

Sunflower
smile.gif
I hope Im not being too brutal, but I have to say I think youre being a bit ageist there...I'm 30, I've been clubbing and raving for a long time, thank you very much, certainly long enough to remember how it used to be all those years ago. I hope if I ever met you, you'd give me more of a chance than that 40 yr old lady youre talking about: I dont know if you met her in a club/at a rave or just on the street, wherever, but it might help to be open minded enough to not plop people into some kind of category based solely on how old they look to you. You never know, she might have been some mad rave guru underneath it all
smile.gif

------------------
"For goodness sakes, would you look at those cakes?"

Normally I would Ignore a post I don't agree with but not this time. What do you mean "too mainstream"? The "scene" is about being accepting of others and open minded, not what you wear or how well you dance. At least that's what it means to me. There will always be trendy people in every "scene" who join and follow everyone else, but what gives anyone the right to judge those people. IMO it's a bit selfish to think the scene is not something to be shared. It is a beautiful thing and if more people were part of it the world would be a far better place. Embrace those taking their first steps instead of fearing them.

the question is: are we becoming too mainstream?
my opinion on the subject is... we already are MAINSTREAM- but its a 1/2 ass version of mainstream. pop culture has embrassed the "raver" style> just look at advertizing < but our scene itself is far from mainstream. we still party in 2nd best locations- our parties are still being broken up by the LAW- media still SLANDERs the hell out of us- Wait untill it REALLY is mainstream- I personally cant wait! in the UK they have "REAL" money behind their parties- sponsers like Pepsi, Avion, Marlbro, Adidas helping to throw million dollar+ parties. REAL VENUES- i've been to parties where Marlbro has given out promotional cig's with the Adidas logo on the filiters- if you ask me thats DAMN cool!
i dont know of any sponser in the US who would do that. Taking the music and the scene mainstream will give ELECTRONIC MUSIC such a greater US audience. at this point- i'd much rather be "mainstream" than be stuck in this 1/2 accepted 1/2 not situation we have here in the US-
my .02cents
------------------
phish2000/w33k4p4u9
[This message has been edited by w33k4p4u9 (edited 14 January 2000).]

Nice way of looking at it Phish
smile.gif

------------------
"For goodness sakes, would you look at those cakes?"

Jr, in no way would i suggest that we get rid of those kids. While i refer to them as "club ho's" or "meatheads", it is merely to paint a picture of the type of kids im talking about.

ok, letme clarify some things here....
first to the person who said something about it's people like us who are ruining the scene, etc..
that is totally uncalled for... maybe you misinterpreted my message but here's the story. i'm am SOOO not down for big corporations (tho not all of them) due to reasons of my own- there's too many of them and it will take a LOOONG time to explain everythng- basically- the media in the us (and hte world) is controlled by about 10 corporations/individuals (don't remember the exact number)- the ramifications of this is that our everyday reality is controlled by these same people.. from what we want to buy to what we think, to basically everything...
so, i believe that there is a danger in terms of pop culture (which is basically run by these corporations) converting the sub-culture into something it's not- like for example making the whole rave thing to be a cool thing to do when it's really not about that- ... (i hope you're getting htis but i'm really cutting my explanation short) basically i don't want to lose the whoel meaning behind the scene.. and i think there's always a danger in that when pop culture comes in- look at hte hippie scene- yeah, there are people in it who are still believers but later on it became more of "the thing to do"--anyhow, whatever you think i totally respect... but that is what i think..
and to the person who's thirty-
i think it's TOTALLY awesome you go to parties...i hope that when i'm fifty i will still be going to parties... i admit that i was being an ageist there- i didn't even realize until you pointed that out- i could have made a mistake even though she was 40 something and since the whole rave thing didn't really start until the 80's i just assume that she was this woman who have just seen LOTS of kids in caffeine/ufo pants... basically i assumed she was a regular woman who normally would not have had much contact with raver kids and the fact that she knows what ufos and caffeines are i assumed taht
the only way she knows about ufos and caffeines is by the fact that they are all around us- meaning that the raver thing is going mainstream...anyhow (my hands are way numb from writing this) i hope my message is understandable-
lata.
sunflower

message to phish-
first of all- are you into the band Phish? just wondering about your name.
wink.gif

secondly,
what do you think about companies like marlboro throwing parties? for me personally i'm not for that just because marlboro is this corporation out there making money by killing people (some would say it's the people killing themselves but i believe in the power of advertisement) (ps- i'm a smoker- ugh!!!) anyhow, i just think going to such parties goes against the meaning of raves- i dunnno- i just don't want to support an evil corporation (yeah, i'm a smoker so i'm being a hypocrite), know what i mean? but if you have a different take on it, tell me- maybe there's something i'm not seeing...
smile.gif

Sunflower, what I believe is being said is that they are throwing hella parties over there. None of the big events I've been to have had any real sponsors(i.e. Marlboro and the likes). Those companies put up lots of money. That means the raves can be put in REAL venues. None of this half assed small club shit. If MArlboro wants to back up the scene, 2 points for them. We need all the help we can get. By the way, I am not a smoker. And I would love to go to an event sponsored by Adidas. That would kick ass. So I guess I'll have to agree with the mainstream being not so bad. And so what if some kid is wearing the same kind of freakin pants you are. Clothes are just clothes. The attitude is what really matters. And that can never be imitated by any wanna be's.Thats just me, I could be wrong. its happened like once before.

BARNDOG!
I was seeeeeeeething when I read this topic. Absolutely seeting. I was ready to jump in and belt the shit out of it.
I've said this before. IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING WEAR IT! DO IT! Don't hate something because it's become cool, or popular. Get over it. Get over yourself.
I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't do something bcause they're scared it's mainstream, is a pathtic loser.
Don't be scared to just be yourself. So what if every 14 year old is wearing those UFO's or whatever?...if you like them IT DOESN'T MATTER!
Oh this topic shits me, and that's why this has been so harsh. Sorry.
But yeah, Barndog, good onya. I agree. with you 100%.
mona.

SUNFLOWER, Your 1st question> I LOVE PHISH- my screen name translate into (w33k4p4u9) its the name of a phish song (weekapaug groove)
now to answer your 2nd question> i agree with scr8rollin- its all about HAVING REAL MONEY sponsering our scene- i understand what your trying to say about BIG corporations but, if they wanna put money into our scene than by god let em! I'm very involved in the UNDERGROUNDANCE SCENE in Los Angeles as well as the ABOVEGROUND CLUB and RAVE scene- i love the vibes in the underground- i'll probably always go to desert parties and underground events-no1 will be stoping you from going to underground parties-> But i LOVE being able to go to a GREAT party/rave at a GREAT venue with TONS of international/national talent! these events are few and far between in the United States> we need more FESTIVAL SIZE events (ie: LOVE PARADE & Creamfields) the only point i'm really trying to make is the Underground scene will be around regardless of weather or not big corporations get involved- There will always be people who are down to DIY (do*it*yourself'ers) I just like having options> when you see dj's and artist such as ChemicalBro's, CarlCox, Sasha, BasementJaxx, DannyTenaglia, JohnDigweed, Squarepusher,KevinYost, BreakbeatEra, Hybryd, BT, PaulOakenfold, NormanCook ect, ect, at the SAME event its usually (oh, did i say usually- i ment ALWAYS) because a HUGE sponser had enough money to invest in a party that sized, i'm all for it!- when was the last time you've seen a party witha line up like that- personally I"M ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC*
ok- now i'm babbling
------------------
phish2000/w33k4p4u9

Listen up: if you don't want to wear something because it's popular, then don't STOP wearing just because it has become popular!! Isn't that kind of hypocritical? It's like being original just for the sake of being different and not just to be true to yourself. But yes, I agree. It's annoying
About the scene.... It sucks people get sucked into the drug atmosphere of it. But I too was attracted to raves because of the drugs. But then I heard the music and I was hooked. And here I am
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
a Bluelighter!
But think of it this way: if those new ravers never got into the scene all the current ravers, who, most likely, in 10 or so years, will outgrow the scene and move onto the accepted social life of society (
frown.gif
pout). If no one was here to continue the scene, it would inevitably be gone. So yeah, it sucks. but it could always be worse.
Ok.. I said my piece
smile.gif

------------------
"the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude" --> Ralph Waldo Emerson
***Much LOVE***
~*BeccA*~

I'm from a small town (think Deliverance) in Canada....When I first started doing e and going to raves and what-not, everyone around here was like "Eww...You're a pervert or something...Ecstacy is a sex drug...And it'll make your liver blow up....Ravers are weird!"...Now all of the sudden, everyone here is listening to crappy mainstream techno, dressing up like pseudo-candy-ravers, and doing e and k and meth, instead of their usual diet of crack/glue/Van Halen...One of the local HIGH SCHOOLS even held an event recently that was billed as being a "rave"....It used to bother the hell outta me, 'cause they all seemed to have forgotten that I was a "loser" for doing some of the same things that they are doing now....I got over it though....Now its just funny...I'm not going to abandon the things that I enjoy because modifications of them have become mainstream....They're just the "diet pepsi" of the "rave culture", clinging to whatever is appealing at the moment....
Next thing you know, they'll all be wearing cowboy hats and pointy boots, and going to ho downs.....

only too true...
but you know a real party kid when one walks by you... and the both of you smile... I know it.
the rave scene isn't JUST what goes on at a rave... it's everything else too... and the bar-stars, and "meatheads" can never take that from us.
------------------
"Like a shooting star,
Accross the midnight sky!
Wherever you are,
Yer gunna see me FLY!!"
-BANG!
PaRaDoX -and PLUR for all!