• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Are there other addictive components in cigarettes other than nicotine?

Quere

Bluelighter
I was just talking to my partner about how we both find electronic cigarettes/vapes much less addictive than regular tailormade cigarettes and it led me to wondering if there are any other addictive compounds in commercial tobacco.

I have heard the theory that the nicotine in tobacco is potentiated by a monoamine oxidase inhibitor which is one way of explaining the difference.

We've both been using e-cigs/vapes for roughly 8 yrs (back when they were most commonly called e-cigarettes rather than vapes) and were both easily able to transition to vaping and haven't looked back.

And now that we use vapes going without for a day doesn't feel nearly as hard as it was when smoking cigarettes.

So I'd be interested in hearing from everyone what they think makes cigarettes more addictive (if you agree that is the case of course).

Cheers

Quere

I wrote about this once here years ago, and yes I feel without the MAOIs present in tobacco, nicotine isn't that reinforcing.

Im not a professional or doctor but a heavy nicotine user (gum and chewing tobacco)

In my opinion, one could argue this either way but eventually I came to the most likely conclusion being no.

(*i use hypothesis not theory because based on what ive read it is not as well proven as a theory. Like id consider a theory being "nicotine likely is the primary reinforcing chemical in tobacco atleast largely due to being in sufficient quantities to cause stimulation of nACh receptors increasing activity in the "reward" pathways of the brain")

There is a hypothesis* that maoi inhibitors based on the chemical structure of beta carbolines like harman harmala ect contribute to the reinforcing effects of cigs by inhibiting maoia and or b.

However, reasons i am skeptical of this is (make this with a grain of salt its been along time since i read this stuff try google scholar.)
1. They may be formed during combustion. Very unclear.
2. Rats given these maoi inhibitors may be given by injection and at levels way higher than that can ever be achieved by smoking.
3. An example of maois are in coffee and burnt food but that doesnt mean they are in sufficient amounts to do anything.
4. It seems in humans the lower levels of maoi b activity in smokers are based on a correlated study which doesnt prove the maois in tobacco smoke caused that effect.
5. Any attempt i made to find out how much of these maois are formed by the combustion of tobacco either didnt list a number or was in micrograms.

There is more but i dont want to just drown you in ramblings maybe its the maois in my coffee but more likely im rambling due to caffeine.