• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone got experience of withdrawal from Mirtazapine usage?

LogitechZZ5500

Bluelighter
I have a festival to attend in July where I wish to partake in MDMA and LSD to name a couple of things. I have read that Mirtazapine would dull/weaken the MDMA effects in particular.

I have been on 30mg of Mirtazapine (I believe it's called Remeron in the US) for a couple of years but the past few weeks, I have been tapering off,and the last 7 days I have not had any. The problem is insomnia, I seem to only get about 3 hours sleep a night. If I have a little Xanax, that solves the problem but obviously I don't want to rely on that for every night for the next month. Even weed and alcohol don't really help, I think alcohol actually makes it worse.

Anyone got any suggestions please to get through the next month?

I have come off the Mirtazapine before for the same reason but don't remember it being as bad as this. I am in the UK so it's very unlikely I can get prescribed medication to help with this, the Xanax is from DNMs so I can source from there if you have a suggestion.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a festival to attend in July where I wish to partake in MDMA and LSD to name a couple of things. I have read that Mirtizapine would dull/weaken the MDMA effects in particular.

I have been on 30mg of Mirtizapine for a couple of years but the past few weeks, I have been tapering off,and the last 7 days I have not had any. The problem is insomnia, I seem to only get about 3 hours sleep a night. If I have a little Xanax, that solves the problem but obviously I don't want to rely on that for every night for the next month. Even weed and alcohol don't really help, I think alcohol actually makes it worse.

Anyone got any suggestions please to get through the next month?

I have come off the Mirtizapine before for the same reason but don't remember it being as bad as this. I am in the UK so it's very unlikely I can get prescribed medication to help with this, the Xanax is from DNMs so I can source from there if you have a suggestion.

Thanks.
Slowly take the 30mg pill an with a pill spliter break it into 4 quarters then reduce accordingly by what feels comfortable I've read that the wd are pretty easy going unlike some other antidepressants I was on amitriptyline an stupidly quit cold turkey an I'm still have interrupted sleep 4 weeks later.

Slowly take the 30mg pill an with a pill spliter break it into 4 quarters then reduce accordingly by what feels comfortable I've read that the wd are pretty easy going unlike some other antidepressants I was on amitriptyline an stupidly quit cold turkey an I'm still have interrupted sleep 4 weeks later.
Thanks. Yes that is what I was doing (albeit with my teeth and not a pill splitter). Maybe I rushed the taper a little.
I do have a fair few things on my mind at the moment but i guess I just have to think the weekend will be worth it.

I got SSRI-style withdrawal from stopping 30mg/d mirtazapine (Remeron), brain zaps mostly and problems falling asleep but less intense than with e.g. venlafaxine - weird as its not an SSRI nor should it have strong effects on serotonin. Good that you don't seem to get these, it depends on the individual and for how long you've been on it.

For sleep disturbances you might try one of the OTC meds doxylamine or diphenhydramine, they work to induce sleep by the same mechanism as mirtazapine (H1 histamine antagonism) but don't have so many other effects. Cutting the pill in 4 is good for usual withdrawal but might be too less for sleep as mirta's affinity to H1 is extremely high, even 7.5mg will have strong sedating effect. It's another possibility though to settle for 7.5mg, and hope that this won't have too much influence on your planned festival program.

Last edited:
I got SSRI-style withdrawal from stopping 30mg/d mirtazapine (Remeron), brain zaps mostly and problems falling asleep but less intense than with e.g. venlafaxine - weird as its not an SSRI nor should

For sleep disturbances you might try one of the OTC meds doxylamine or diphenhydramine, they work to induce sleep by the same mechanism as mirtazapine ...I've read somewhere that otc antihistamines are not to be used for sleep? Couldn't find out why though

I've read somewhere that otc antihistamines are not to be used for sleep? Couldn't find out why though

At least these both 1st-gen ones - doxylamine and diphenhydramine - are explicitly sold as sleeping aids. They won't do much after 30mg mirtazapine because that's affinity is so high but are worth a try. Maybe the person you're referring to meant the second-gen antihistamines which don't enter the brain and are thus non-sedating.

I got SSRI-style withdrawal from stopping 30mg/d mirtazapine (Remeron), brain zaps mostly and problems falling asleep but less intense than with e.g. venlafaxine - weird as its not an SSRI nor should it have strong effects on serotonin. Good that you don't seem to get these, it depends on the individual and for how long you've been on it.

For sleep disturbances you might try one of the OTC meds doxylamine or diphenhydramine, they work to induce sleep by the same mechanism as mirtazapine (H1 histamine antagonism) but don't have so many other effects. Cutting the pill in 4 is good for usual withdrawal but might be too less for sleep as mirta's affinity to H1 is extremely high, even 7.5mg will have strong sedating effect. It's another possibility though to settle for 7.5mg, and hope that this won't have too much influence on your planned festival program.
Mirtazapine is alpha-blocker. Which then is autoreceptor which NEP and epinephrine agonises, leading to decrease in release of serotonin and NEP and EP.

This is worded fucking Bad, in any case of confusion, read The Post below

Last edited:
This information is incorrect, mirtazapine actually causes seratonin and norepinephrine to be released when taken, not decreased.

Agreed. We could spend a lot of time talking about the nature of Mirtazapine (Remeron). I think it's better just to approach is as we would any other taper. You will be faced with new, potentially negative feelings and you will likely have difficulty sleeping during the process. It's not an exact science. I usually tell people to do what they can handle, recommending basic guidelines like: if you're unable to get at least 4 hours of sleep in a night, you should go back to the drawing board, attempting a slower taper afterward.

Mirtazapine (Remeron) is a Tetracyclic Antidepressant. There are not a ton of examples to go by, as this class of drug is pretty rare in terms of actual numbers of medications prescribed. We do know a little bit about Trycyclic Antidepressants. We can use this knowledge as a reference point to help us understand what to expect.

The withdrawal syndrome produced by chronic Trycyclic Antidepressant therapy are noted for being highly variable from person to person. It appears that severe cases resemble withdrawal from sedative/hypnotic drugs like Alcohol. Headache, diarrhea, malaise and lack of energy are likely to be present, even if they are very mild.

This all might seem a little bit scary. The norm is not to have a severe withdrawal syndrome from these medications, but it can happen. I predict some anxiety, insomnia and a loss of your appetite. Mirtazapine is well-known for its ability to cause extreme hunger and weight gain. I did it once. Took Mirtazapine for ~2 months and I was up from 150lb to 190lb in less than two months. If you do some research, you'll notice they prescribe Mirtazapine to animals specifically to spur their appetite as its so effective for that purpose.

It shouldn't be too difficult. Let us know if you need any help!