• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Any tips for getting off H without subs/methadone

mellonhead

Greenlighter
Hello. I'm a 2nd yr college student living a double life and I'm sick of it. After 7 years of smoking h, I'm ready to stop. I've been on Suboxone in the past for almost a total of 1 year (a couple months here and there over the years in a sad attempt to quit) but ultimately switched back since it's basically trading one habit for another. Both result in the same withdrawal if not dosed after any given number of hours. The same withdrawal that I'm SEVERELY paralyzed with fear to face, hence my decision not to just cut myself off cold turkey/wein off. I will add that I've been using anywhere from 1gr-2grs daily of tar for 3yrs +. I smoke it. Banged it my 2nd year in and due to my invisible veins, went back to smoking only a year later, not sure whether or not that is relevant to my current situation but the more details, the better I'm assuming. I will also add that if I go even 2 or 3 hours without it, I start to feel withdrawals. Which, according to the fellow users I come across, is rather soon. I can agree with that, because when I compare it to my earlier days of using, it'd take 6-8hrs no less.That being said, it's been about 3 years since I have even let myself get close to sick due to the INSANE fear I get at even the thought of becoming sick. I've had my terrible kicking days in my earlier years, which was the motivation for finding a way to never have to go through it again. I'm tired of this cycle. I'm 23yo and have a whole life ahead of me and I just can't see myself carrying this monkey on my back for the rest of my life. However, I REFUSE to use crutches like methadone or subs since I've been there and the withdrawal is the same, if not, worse. Which is the very thing I want to avoid. Cold turkey isn't an option. I'd rather die that cold turkey NO doubt about it. My habit is heavy and I need tips on anything else I can do to help. I'm not unrealistic, I understand that there's no way out without feeling at least some discomfort, that's the cost of this d.o.c. (Had I known anything about it causing wd, my 16yo self would not have touched it, but hey, shoulda woulda coulda right?)
I apologise if I ranted, it has less to do with telling the whole forum members my most shameful quality, trust me. But instead, everything to do with providing details that might help determine what tips will help me and anyone else in a somewhat similar boat. I am absolutely ready to quit, and I understand that's the only way it will happen. If you are truly ready. And I am. But please tell me what can I do to curb the inevitable discomfort. I smoke pot, but that never quite does it for me, it helps wd, for maybe an hour LOL. Anyone on h knows exactly what I mean.
BTW I've never posted on BL but I'm a LONGTIME lurker. Have been looking at forums since the start and appreciate this site like you do.
Thanks for your time -mellonhead

This is an answer I often give to people looking to quit H, but have you looked at iboga? I never tried it myself, but I've heard many life changing experiences. For opiates withdrawals, I would look for an iboga treatment in a clinic with medical supervision.

Never have heard of it, but I will do my research. If I can avoid doing anything medically supervised, I'd prefer to do so. Only for the simple fact I don't want anything like that in my medical history, even if it shows I was getting help, it still shows period. And whether people like to admit it or not, the general public looks down on it, in turn making it possible for future possibilities or opportunities to be compromised. Such as nursing jobs (I plan to finish my degree then go to nursing school, can't have that in my history
Up) But maybe there is a way to purchase it myself? Hopefully it's not anything like kratom, which did about nothing for me. (I know I'm picky huh, I just want to make it easy as possible) I'll do my research thanks for you're input!!:) It's actually something I haven't heard of or tried and that gives me hope

Never have heard of it, but I will do my research. If I can avoid doing anything medically supervised, I'd prefer to do so. Only for the simple fact I don't want anything like that in my medical history, even if it shows I was getting help, it still shows period. And whether people like to admit it or not, the general public looks down on it, in turn making it possible for future possibilities or opportunities to be compromised. Such as nursing jobs (I plan to finish my degree then go to nursing school, can't have that in my history
Up) But maybe there is a way to purchase it myself? Hopefully it's not anything like kratom, which did about nothing for me. (I know I'm picky huh, I just want to make it easy as possible) I'll do my research thanks for you're input!!:) It's actually something I haven't heard of or tried and that gives me hope
Iboga is tricky, there are some specific medical conditions to be very careful about, like long Qt syndrom. At the very least, have a sitter with you for the few days it will take.